Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) T/C Encore?? (Read 9999 times)
kinglooie
Ex Member

T/C Encore??
Jan 26th, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Is this a taboo word here??  I have one and have always wanted to build it up some.  MachinenMatch make awsome octagon barrels for them.  Or are they not competition legal?  Sure would be neet though modern saftey vintage looks.....hehehe

kinglooie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: T/C Encore??
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
AFAIK, the Encore in rifle configuration is perfectly legal in schuetzen for all but special matches (restricted to German-only or original pre-20th century rifles or some such.)
The only thing that might hold you back is that some of the T-C rifles had pretty short barrels and there IS a restriction for ASSRA competition at least saying that the barrel must be at least 21" long.

There have been several nice schuetzen rifles built on the old T-C Contender platform.  I don't know that anyone has ever been very competitive with one, but it would certainly be OK to try.  I would think that the octagon barrel you mention could be ordered out as say a 24" and fairly heavy to give you pretty good results.  It would be fun to try, and other than the cost of the custom barrel, should be reasonable in price.  I haven't priced one of those barrels lately, so you would have to judge that for yourself.

HTH ~ Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Bullburry makes aftermarket barrels for Contenders and the newer Encore that are top notch. T/C's barrels are not real good from what I understand.  Bullberrys are under 400 dollars.   One of the competitors at Thurmont MD does  very well with one in 32 Miller. Another point is the Contenders switch rim to center fire quickly so you could make one gun do all.

No reason T/C's  would not do well in Schuetzen.  They win all the NRA rules Pistol Silhouette matches and do well in rifle Silhouette too.  I have one set up as a small bore rifle silhouette gun but ran afoul of ASSRA's 21 inch barrel rule, which I understand is for rim fires only. If I really wanted to use it would re-enter with a toilet paper roll duct taped to the muzzle.  Have another rim fire Schuetzen so no need.

In the old days of offhand competition lots of shooters used "Tip up's"  I never understood ASSRA's policy toward short rimfire barrels which seems to target the Contenders. It's easily circumvented by hanging a longer barrel on the action or some sort of muzzle weight.

Boats

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 9:49am
Print Post  
I think the match and rules committee is going to address this 21" barrel rule this year.    leadball

IP Logged

kinglooie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Am I correct in thinking a standard barrel in octagonal form would be as ridged as a heavy barrel round??  If this is true why wouldn't a heavy octagonal be "inherantly more accurate".  Tha is assuming all factors are correct,from chamber to crown.   

kinglooie

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
kinglouie;
             No, I think it is not true that a standard  octagonal barrel is more ridged than a heavy round barrel. Removing metal from a barrel will make it less ridged.  Others will have an opinion.   leadball

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Well, the way I see it, there are two basic problems with the T/C Encore. First is that it is a break action and most folks find these very inconvienent to operate off of sand bags, especially the breech seating part. The second problem is that a modern rifle design violates the spirit of the match. Remember our Constiutuion has always said something to the effect "to promote fellowship among those interested in single shot rifles deveoped between the end of the Civil War and the outbreak of World War 1. While more modern rifles are certainly legal in the matches, I have never thought of them as conforming to the intent of the original founders of our club.

One other point that sort of rubs me the wrong way is the scemeing to circumvent the rules. We are not a "ultimate lead bullet accuracy" 
club. We are a club of admirers of the old rifles. There is no schemeing neccessary.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Quarter bore.  Sorry but you hit a nerve, with all due respect, 

Last Hudson match I shot with my traditional CPA external scope and 32/40 several of the other competitors used modern Striker actions, modern short case cartridges Modern 36 x internal adjustment scopes. and muzzle weights hung on the end of the barrel. Not to mention adjustable butt plates and shooting coats. All within ASSRA rules. 

As far as off the bench. Well I shoot offhand but the rifles I see in ASSRA matches are every bit as modern and sospisticated as what you would see in a high velocity bench match. The just shoot cast bullets and have falling blocks.

If a shooter was going to shoot a T/C with a barrel 17 inches I think putting a toilet paper roll on the end with duct tape is within the spirit of the match.

Could be I used the wrong word in Circumvent.  The rules are the rules and should be respected no matter how they were intended.  Can't for the life of me see the reason for the 21 inch rule other that to keep shooters away from the sport. 

If you are taking about the sprit of Tradional rules matches as shot out west I agree with you completly. In ASSRA Traditional is not protected by seperate classes, anything goes. Except short barreled T/C's that is

Boats

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
contender and encores Are just as legal as any single shot fall block rifle ever made!        Cool  "PERIOD"

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

kinglooie
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Sorry guys didn't mean to start a verbal war here. I was just curious.  I am new to the single shot stuff.  I am a small calibar nut and happen to own a T/C Encore, I saw the MachinenMatch octagonal barrels and thought neet idea.  Old school look and Modern tech and saftey.  I work with a man who shoots and believes there is nothing greater than a original sharps.  Now I beleive anything and everything has its beauty.

kinglooie

p.s. That goes for women too!!hehehe  Just ask my wife!!!

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I see no reason that an Encore or a Contender cannot be an accurate set up. Like someone else said, a break open off the bench takes alot of patience and adhearance to a good method. Breech seating can and has been done. Gunsmith Steve Durren has made a couple of breech seat tools that work off of a stud installed into the side of the barrel. My son shot a .22LR Contender with a G2 23" TC barrel and kept right up with me shooting a BSA ISU martini. Granted, it had to have a new pin made for the barrel as the factory pin is too loose for accuracy and it needed to be recrowned too. Triggers can be quite good with a little work. Hooked butt plates can be fit from castings from Track of the Wolf but I suggest getting them in aluminum where possible 'cause it takes an extra large one to fit. 

As far as keeping in the "spirit", I have to respectfully disagree with Quarterbore on this one. Otherwise, you eliminate all of the Rugers, Perigrine, Miller, Hoch actions and while you are at it virtually all telescopic sights to boot.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
there were lots of break action rifles made between the Civil War and World War I - the T/C even has a hammer - how can the statement be made it violates the spirit of the rules?  I will tell you what violates the spirit of the rules and that is a 21" bbl length.  I believe those of us who are active at EG know who and why that was pushed through.  The individual will go unnamed 'cause I don't want to get accused of bad mouthing anyone.  all of this is just my not so humble opinion - you all have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 8:17am
Print Post  
This is not to get into a war of words with anyone, but I think we are talking about a couple of different things here...the spirit of antiques with original and at worst reproductions of antiques, and the spirit of old time single shot competition.   Huh

Those interested in the former will find the Encore, and indeed the Miller, Hoch, Ruger and even my beloved "Penguin" hard to accept as well.  On the other hand, those who like to shoot single shots in the old fashioned way with plain based lead bullets at ring or Honor targets, usually at 200 yards, will find the Encore to be totally acceptable and welcome you to their matches.   Wink

Fortunately, since Etna Green (indeed since most ASSRA affiliated venues) has a contingent of the latter, you should have no trouble finding a shooting home.  If you shoot on the bench next to me, You might see me pull out the aforementioned Penguin to shoot a bench match, then a rebarreled original high-wall Winchester to shoot off-hand or even a Maynard or Ballard if the wind is blowing in the right direction.  Have fun, I know I will!  Cool

Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

PS  Oh yeah, as my old friend rimfire said, there were lots of break open rifles in use during the time after the "recent unpleasantness" including the Maynard, of course, and no one would try to exclude them, would they?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

kinglooie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 11:08am
Print Post  
My family has owned and run a sporting goods store for 35yrs.  I haven't heard of half the rifles you fellas just spoke of.  Am I that much of a mushroom over here in montana??  Heck we've even "won awards" from buying groups stating we are the one of the biggest gun stores this side of the mississippi?!  Of course we mainly apply ourselves on the "sporting rifle".  I have a crew who could name and describe any and all the firearms , but......I'm just  the buyer man If it isn't in production I'm not really versed.  Although I have a huge passion to learn more on these weapons.  Call it the "HISTORY" side that compells me to want to know more......What the heck is a penguin???I thought that was a bird??????

kinglooie

p.s. All this over a simple ?? hehehe

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Kinglooie
I forgot to say before, so I'll say it now, WELCOME to the insanity!  Grin Don't take this banter too seriously, that's what makes this group so much fun. It's the open sharing of information and opinions. As long as it is done in friendly tones, it's not an issue. If it gets out of hand, the moderator will chime in in his usual "hugs and kisses" manner and set the offenders straight  Wink

Many of the guns mentioned were limited production actions made by custom action/gun makers in the past 20-30 years. Not your usual run of the mill actions by no means. 

Again, welcome........

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint