Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic alloy for barrel slugging (Read 4529 times)
is0086s

Bob Ryan

alloy for barrel slugging
Jan 24th, 2008 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I have a 32-40 Clerke striker high wall that won't group for me. I want to slug the barrel, a 32-40, to see what the groove diameter of the barrel is. I have a OO buckshot mould that should make the round balls. My pot is full of 1-25 alloy I use for another 32-40 and a 25-20 SS. Is this alloy too hard for use in slugging a bore? I have pure lead to use but it's a PITA to empty the alloy out and replace it with pure lead

Bob Ryan

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: alloy for barrel slugging
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
I use 25/1 bullet alloy to slug barrels quite often and have never had a problem. I genarally use a regular bullet so buckshot should be relatively easy to use. I should mention that I only measure the area at the breech since that is the dimension that needs to be met by a good shooting bullet. I don't drive a slug all the way through the barrel.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I use pure lead balls to slug barrels. I slug both ends of the barrel to make sure the muzzle is smaller. Sometimes barrels are installed backwards.

Ive used 20-1 bullets also.  I think lead balls and a wooden dowel is the best and easiest method. 

Any size lead ball will do. At the muzzle I use a ballpeen hammer to tap the ball in.  When it is flat I use a wood dowl to tap it in a couple inch's. It cuts a nice ring of lead. Makes a perfect slug every time.

When slugging from the breech I use a wooden dowel. And like quarterbore just go in enough to get a good measurement ahead of the throat.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Most of us probably know someone who is a muzzle loader.  I go to my friend who does a lot of shooting with round balls in the front stuffers and cadge a few of the next size over whatever bore diameter I'm interested in measuring.  These balls tend to be more or less pure lead which makes driving them through a LOT easier!  Huh  I favor driving a single ball all the way through the bore when possible to look for tight spots, loose spots, rough spots, taper, etc, etc.  This is my favored way to do it, but as with all things, do what works best for you.  Wink

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Also, it might be A Good Thing to drive another slug all the way through the barrel from breech to muzzle, in order to check for tight or loose spots. Since it won't group now, I figure any and all additional info you can learn might eventually lead to a solution or else to a decision that no solution is possible with that particular barrel.

Also check barrel crown, case length, barrel shoulder tightness in receiver, forearm pressure on receiver, scope mount screws, drawbolt tension and the usual other accuracy-robbing conditions. If all else fails, consider fire-lapping. JMO.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I slug both chamber end and muzzle end, but I use my homemade  slide hammer to slug each end, and then pull them out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hi All !!!

For a non-evasive measuring tool, consider “Dental” (no shrinkage) Plaster of Paris!!! Wipe the surface with a light oil and dab the PoP on (with a tooth pick) the area you want to measure.. After you build up enough, leave the toothpick in the puddle to use as a handle to remove it when it dry’s… Dry's quick and lift's right out...

Easy to measure inside areas like groove's and angle's and easy to clean up with water... 

Redwing~

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 7:16am
Print Post  
To push the slug all the way through I use an old surplus .30 machine gun ramrod.  About .25 . I bush the rod out with rings of masking tape in order to make sure it does not come in contact with the barrel,

Pure lead balls work best, you can buy they ready made if none on hand.

Boats

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 7:18am
Print Post  
go look at the thread on the 8.15 x 46 slug size and use pure lead.
irish

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Pushing the slug completely through will tell you lots about that barrel. Lube the slug.Go to the hobby shop and get a few lenghts of hardwood dowel, they work great from .22's on up, all for a couple bucks.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint