Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Subsonic Schuetzen (Read 13984 times)
KWK
Senior Forum Member

Subsonic Schuetzen
Jan 21st, 2008 at 5:13am
Print Post  
I've been reading about the theory behind trajectory and drift and "experimenting" by playing with one of the commercial calculators, QuickTARGET. 

I'm observing that subsonic loads suffer least from wind drift. Is this true in practice? 

With subsonic muzzle speeds, do typical velocity spreads more greatly affect vertical stringing?

What sort of speeds do off-hand shooters gravitate towards and why?

I'm a bit out of the ASSRA loop, but I'll be living in Illinois again later this year, and I might try to make some of the matches one day. Are jacketed bullets permitted in the matches?

Thanks,
Karl

Karl
IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Re: Subsonic Schuetzen
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 9:09am
Print Post  
KWK;
     1     Yes, sub-sonic loads do have less wind-drift.
     2      Yes, subsonic speeds do affect vertical stringing--at 200yd the verticals make shooting good scores very hard.
     3       Offhand Schuetzen shooters generally shoot in the 1250-1500fps range--this range is possibly the very worst velocity to shoot a rifle at 200+ yards but its where you find the best accuracy.
     4     No, jacketed bullets are NOT allowed--most range officers do not even want them to be seen on the benches.
           Interesting questions I'm sure you'll have other opinion's
                                                                     leadball

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I'll have to disagree with that.  22 target shooting is done almost exclusively with subsonic ammuntion.  Vertical group size is no greater than the horizontal and, in fact, accuracy with the subsonic .22s is very close to the supersonic centerfires with their much much heavier bullets.  I don't think you give up any accuracy just because you are subsonic.  You might even gain a small advantage.   

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Only subsonic Schuetzen I shoot is rim fire and squib center fire. The squibs at 50 feet with light charges of pistol powder. Rim fire target rifles as Brent points out are always shot with sub sonic ammo.

Offhand at 200 yards  Center Fire Schuetzen I have never seen a successful shooter use sub sonic loads. In theory it sounds good but I don't think there is any history of sub sonic loads winning matches  Someone may be able to correct me.

Like Leadball I look for 1400-1500 fps with my 32/40's at full Schuetzen distance.  That velocity is about universal with successful shooters.

What I have to watch is my bullet going subsonic before hitting the target. It wobbles when it goes under the speed of sound. Some conditions my standard loads will do that and when I see holes on the target that show wobbling I bump up the powder charge. 

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
boats, have you ever seen anyone try subsonic centerfire?  Could be that you ain't seen it because it's not been seriously tried and it ain't been seriously tried because no one has seen it.  I am aware of no laws of nature that suggest it cannot work.   

I'm willing to bet that a .32-20 can be shot subsonic more accurately than any .22 and may be any centerfire.   

Brent

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
There was a couple of fellow about 10 years ago that tried it.
The problem with it is vertical! Just about anyone can tell about right and left in the wind but up and down just eats you alive!
Any difference in the wind can make vertical unreadable!
So with subsonic load you don`t have as much right and left, but up and down are a lot worse! That is because of the big arch your bullet has to go.
In the 22rf match at Etna green there are more  wild shoots high or low then there is right and left. Because of the arch of the bullet. 
The flatter the arch the less up and down problems you will have!
'WORKS FOR ME"

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
My concern with subsonic would be in the vertical. Even if the velocity variation were the same percentage (which would require a smaller absolute span), it seems the arcing trajectory may amplify the errors downrange. Unfortunately, the trajectory calculators can't handle what happens when a given rifle fires a load which is 2% slower than another. They can't compute recoil on your shoulder and how that affects the initial launch angle. Only experience will determine if it is successful.

The low predicted wind drift for high BC bullets launched subsonic is tempting. There's some very high BC 22s and 24s these days, nearly equaling many 30s (jacketed, that is). I wonder how these flying pencils would do in practice.

Pity you can't use jacketed at the matches. The .32-20 Brent mentioned is one of the chamberings I was considering, using spitzer FMJ-BTs made for the .303 Brit. (Ok, I'm too lazy to cast and paper patch similar bullets.)

Karl
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Jim_Borton wrote on Jan 21st, 2008 at 3:08pm:
There was a couple of fellow about 10 years ago that tried it.
The problem with it is vertical! Just about anyone can tell about right and left in the wind but up and down just eats you alive!
Any difference in the wind can make vertical unreadable!
So with subsonic load you don`t have as much right and left, but up and down are a lot worse! That is because of the big arch your bullet has to go.
In the 22rf match at Etna green there are more  wild shoots high or low then there is right and left. Because of the arch of the bullet. 
The flatter the arch the less up and down problems you will have!
'WORKS FOR ME"

Gravity must be different there.  This does not happen here at all.

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Brent tell you the truth I don't try much new. After all these rifles and methods are 100 years old.  I have to assume the kinks have been worked out of most loads normaly used in Schuetzen matches.  If matches are and have been won with 32/40's at 1450 fps that's all I need to know.

Not to be against anybody's theories or sport.  If someone wins or places well in a match with sub sonic 32 cal center fires I may give it a try.  May even consider if I saw a test that was valid showing potential. Otherwise better places to spend my time.  Conditons, postion, and trigger pull.

Why not give the 32/20 sub sonic a run showing the results.

Boats

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Shooting subsonic at 100yds is not the same as subsonic at 200yds. A very slight change in muzzle velocity creates large verticals at 200yd and beyond. If anyone can beat these laws of physics I sure want to know---I'm certainly not against shooting better.   leadball

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 6:25pm
Print Post  

You are right.  100 is not 200, and thus the bulls are different.  It is true with respect to wind as well as gravity.  And I don't see any vertical stringing - unless you use junk ammo (big surprise)....

Brent

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Doesn`t have anything to do with gravity!  Shocked

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Jim_Borton wrote on Jan 21st, 2008 at 7:04pm:
Doesn`t have anything to do with gravity!  Shocked

Really? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Ok, I'm going to have write my own calculator to try to investigate how the higher subsonic trajectory might affect vertical stringing as a result of variations in muzzle velocity. It will be of limited accuracy because of the recoil (muzzle rise) issues mentioned, but it may show if there are inherent problems with the higher trajectory. Taken to extremes, high trajectories seem likely to greatly affect how hits print on the target, but it's not crystal clear to me that a few feet higher over 600 will be so. The biggest issue may be trying to keep velocities consistent enough among shots; 20 fps on 1000 is a bigger percentage than it is for 1500.

Karl
IP Logged

jeffer1942
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Target Sales

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
What Jim Borton said!  He lives the theory and proves it each and every time he shoots another 250 or tiny group at Etna Green.  There anr not many out there who have made more of a study of trajectory, velocity, and wind effect. and...

Like I said..."what Jim Borton said"

Believe it!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint