Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Front" Loading (Read 7577 times)
Redwing
Oldtimer

"Front" Loading
Jan 21st, 2008 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Howdy Again !!!

I love this site!!!    Never too old to learn and there’s a lot of knowledge out there with you Guy’s…

Got some old Martini frames that I’m thinking about building a .38-55 “Schuetzen” system with.. However, I read on another post where loading may be a problem in the smaller actions.. We don’t need to chew our food twice here but I was wondering, it that’s a problem (in loading or breech-seating), how about front-loading the slug down onto the case like Pope did ??? Does this work only on paper-patch bullets ???

Never had the chance to read much about these guy’s and their methods (food came before books) and finding stuff at the local library is pretty rare..   

Appreciate your reply:

Redwing~

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Re: "Front" Loading
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Redwing,
I haven't ever loaded a cartridge gun from the muzzle, only muzzle loaders, But I have read a bit about it and no, it does not have to be a patched bullet. I don't profess to know much about it, but I know Pope as well as other such as Schoyen, Schalk, etc. made what was called a "false muzzle" to hold the slug and keep it aligned whilst it was placed into the bore with a palm starter, then a full length rod with a predetermined length would be used to place the slug uniformly every time to the same position ahead of the chamber.
I do not know if one could build a false muzzle that would work like Pope's did after a barrel has already been installed. He rifled them along with the barrel so everything was just so.
I do know that Lee makes a REAL bullet for muzzle loaders that is tapered from base and widdens towards the top band. Idea being that you engrave the rifling in the bullet as you seat it, added bonus is it helps "clean" fouling from the last shot on it's way down the tube. It uses no patch and carries a good deal or lube. 
It may be possible to do something similar, i.e., a custom bullet, with a breech seated muzzle loader. I am by no means qualified to say, "yeh, it'll work! Go spend your hard earned money on MY hair brained idea!"
A couple years ago I read a small blurb that a barrel maker some where in the states was making a small run of barrels with false muzzles for such guns. I am fairly certain the blurb was in the Black Powder Cartridge News in the new product review section. A poster on this board who goes by SPG may remember who had those barrels, for some reason he seems to know a lot about what is in the NEWS! 
SPG, if you read this, can you help?
Redwing, keep us informed on your progress, we love hearing about these projects. I have an old Greener shotgun martini that sits waiting for a day I get caught up on other stuff. Still don't know what I'll do with it, if anything!
MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Hi MerwinBray !!!

Thanks for your quick feedback..

This has been a question in my own mind for quite some time.. I have experimented with various methods of loading my muzzleloader’s for quite some time and have even designed a charging system that is pretty good at keeping the bullet aligned to the bore and with no rifling in the loader.. Never understood why they needed that rifling ??? As long as the bullet was positioned longitudinal to the axis, once it was engraved and the tip (ogive) was kept centered, it should provide the same results.

I have been using (casting) the Lee R.E.A.L bullet for my M/L’s for over ten years now and I can testify that they are the best slug I’ve sent down the tube ever !!! Only problem is when I would enter a competition and they would ban it’s use.. Conical, OK but no REAL.

Believe it or not, my favorite M/L is an old T/C New Englander that just fit’s me perfectly.. Originally a fifty cal. I am now in the process of sleeving it down to a forty-five caliber thats extended to 36”, for longer distance shooting.. Right now I can hold a 1 ½” 5 shot group at 50 yd’s. Not bad for a 65 year old fart !!!

I need to find a machine shop to build my loading device and try it out.. As I said, it works great on a M/L and I don’t see any problem using soft lead in a cartridge rifle to do the same.. 

Was thinking about trying this on one of my other cartridge rifle’s but they are all 45/70’s and I recall once that you should not breech seat large caliber ammo as they need the “jump” into the rifled bore to reduce the drag coefficient… Another wife’s tale ??? 

All for now !!!

Redwing~

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Redwing,
I couldn't begin to say about the 45 or larger issue with front loading, but come to think of it, I can't right off remember ever seeing a larger bore one. 
My wife used to shoot a New Englander in the round ball matches near Manassas Va about 12 or so years ago. Her's was a .54 cal kit we got from Dixie, cheap, when they had a clearance sale on them. Would have perfered a smaller cal. but she wanted it anyway! She shot that thing all throught term of her 1st pregnancy. Some of the guys said she should be handicapped for having a counter ballance! Each month, her scores went up and she broke into the top 5 a couple times. Was a site to see! And wouldn't you know it, my oldest son, the one she was caring at the time, loves to shoot! My other son, not so much. I have wondered if she had shot during the second pregnancy if he would enjoy it more! 

Do you have a picture or sketch of your front loading idea? That sounds interesting to me and is something I have long wondered about. I know there is the debate of breach seating being as or more acurate, and with the scores being shot, it's hard to argue. But in your case, with a gun that would be hard to breach seat, it is a neat idea.
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Hey Guy !!!

Here’s two !!!  One for the REAL system and one for the front-loading cartridge system.

Not to scale !!!  The disk is the sight blocker.. I was thinking the REAL could be nade from a hardwood as the bullet is very easy to load.. The other would be brass..

Also is a pfe (Teflon) tip I would have on my ramrod to keep the slug centered.

Thought’s ???

Redwing~

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 27 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
And the other two (I hope)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 21 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Last one !!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 28 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I think a smooth bore false muzzle would work just fine to start the bullet into the bore. The reason for a rifled false muzzle was not specifically to aid in accuracy, but rather to protect the muzzle and crown from damage during loading.-Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Redwing, muzzle loading cartridge guns are fun.  A lot of the old percussion  muzzle loaders were turned at the muzzle for a bullet starter. A false muzzle isnt absolutely necessary.  The bullet starter can be made to hold the bullet which should be just a hair over land diameter.  

Some of the local long range muzzleloader shooters around here have been doing it thata way for a long time. 

I've retrofit some Green Mountain barrels with false muzzle's. It takes a little doing to get the rifling to line up perfect. It can be done. I dont know if the alignment is all that important. The loose false muzzle on my Barry Darr barrel doesnt seem to hurt anything.

Here in the northwest we had an old timer named Ed Brown. He drilled and rifled his own barrels. He made them with a false muzzle. He wrote a book on how  he did them. In his book he said he removed the false muzzle after the barrel was rifled, then he lapped the barrel so that it was just a little larger than the false muzzle. He said he did that so that it would have no chance of shaving lead when loading. 

When Shutzen shooting started in Tacoma in the late nineteen
seventies Ed brown heard about it and headed to the range with one of his homemade outfits. Ed set his targets up at two hundred yards and blasted away. The local shooters told him it was a one hundred yard match.  Ed told them he was used to shooting two hundred and would continue if it was ok. So, he did. He won the match.  The last time I saw him was about fifteen years ago. He was shooting on the bench next to me. He got up to go to the restroom. On the way he clutched his chest, yelled for help and fell into the bramble bush's. Sue Miller did CPR on him till the medics showed up and took over. He lasted a couple more years, but that was the end of his shooting days. He was really old. I have his book in a box somewhere out in the shop.  Man I'm a real windbag tonight!  
You build a FMBL on a Martini, you'll have a ball shooting it.  Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:13am
Print Post  
This subject trigs me, are ther anyone there have any mechanical drawings on the original falls muzzle, it could be fun to to try this in real life.

I am building a 32-40 LW with 30" Krieger barrel and ordred it in 35" blank so there should be material to make the false muzzle.

Westerner I would be glad if you could find the book so I might have a chance to find one myself, or maybe yours are for sale?

Michael

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Michael, Ed Browns book is in a box somewhere in my shop. You know, sorta like a needle in a haystack?
Ed Brown drilled and rifled his barrels with the false muzzle installed beforehand. Thats the correct way to do it.  The false muzzles I did were cut off and pinned to the barrel. The pinning is straightforward, aligning the rifling is the tricky part. I'm still kicking around ideas on how to improve the alignment.   
Dutchers book on the Ballard rifle has excellent pictures of false muzzles. 

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Michael, you might be able to borrow Eds book from the ASSRA archives. Contact Rudy Prusok at      Archives@assra.com   

Joe.

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Hi Joe !!!

Interesting info on Ed Brown !!! So much history is lost as time passes and when we need it…. Kinda like talking to your Dad about his family, when you could.. I didn’t, he didn’t and now that he’s gone, so is the history….

Like you, most of my good information is stored away but my memory tell’s me that the false muzzle was to assist and protect in loading the patched conical bullet for precision shooters. Those patches were not the paper wrapped type used in cartridges, but a fine cloth fitted in an cross format, loaded into the false muzzle to charge the bullet, with out damage to the patch or muzzle.

Digging around in my shop, I found an old hollow base mould in .45 cal.. Kinda like a Minnie ball only about 550 gr. in bullet weight.. Might work in my Roller …. As I see it,  I’m going to try this little project !!!  I’ll let you know how it turns out and maybe post some pic’s....

Take care !!!

Redwing~

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Redwing, the only projectile I've used is the greased grooved bullet in a breech muzzle loader. 
Linen was most commonly used in picket rifles.   Good luck finding the right type of linen these days.

If you end up using cotton bond paper, you will get your best accuracy when sizing the paper patched bullet just before you muzzle load it.  It seems to me that anything that will shoot well in a slug gun should work in a breech muzzle loader.  Smiley

Joe.

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Joe !!!

Thanks for the info....

Every little bit help's

Redwing~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2