Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Perfect Schuetzen (200 yds) bullets (Read 2881 times)
Brent
Ex Member

Perfect Schuetzen (200 yds) bullets
Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I'm about to order a new mould.  This for a .38-72.  Perhaps not a perfect schuetzen caliber but that's what it is.  I'm happy to order a custom mould for this rifle and use it for a bunch of things, including silhouette and who knows, even 1000 yds perhaps. 

But, if I was only going to shoot it at 200 yds matches what would be the optimal bullet shape roughly.

Right now, the silhouette and Creedmoor shooters are using very long noses on their bullets - noses that are 1/2 of the bullet's overall length.  They need super aerodynamics to hold enough energy out to 500 meters to knock off a ram, and they need all the ballistic coefficient they can get for minimizing wind at 1000 yds.   

But what about 200 yds?  The emphases on power and BC are really not so important.  Would a shorter nose be best?  What shape?  A postell type of shape, or something else?

This rifle has a 14 twist and shoots only black powder at about 1300 fps or a bit more depending on the bullet of course.  So, a bit different than the average smokeless rifle running at least 100 fps faster and easier on the bump up.   

It seems that bullet design gets little attention on this board and perhaps a good discussion of it is in order.   

Any suggestions?   

Brent

IP Logged

Subsailor

"Sharks of Steel" U.S.
Submarine Force

Re: Perfect Schuetzen (200 yds) bullets
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Brent,
Good timing as I had the same question. I was thinking of using my Borchardt w/10" twist in .38-70 for bench rest since I already have an 8.15x46R for off-hand. Given that the Borchardt is tipping the scales at 13#s, I do not think I would be able to use it for off-hand shooting any time soon.

I have been trying to get in touch with Barry Darr to see about ordering a mould for one of Dan Ts designs for the .38 Ellitical Nose MicroMini Groove bullet, but was thinking that maybe a Schmittzer might be a good choice for use to 200 yards. I had good luck with the Schmittzer out to 300 yards in my .45-70s and the Postell works good out to 1000 yards.

It would be nice if BACO would come out with the same PP mould for .38s now that the .40 & .45 versions seem to be getting a lot of attention.

Craig

ASSRA #9843
N-SSA 6785-V
NRA
LT. USN (Retired)
U.S.Submarine Veterans Inc.
Silent Service MC
GTalkYIM  
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Craig, 
This is what I have in mind.  It will be paper patched for a 14 twist barrel with a 0.368" land diameter.  Probably in 16:1 or 20:1

It is darn close to Dan's designs

I think it will do fine for silhouette, but not so sure about 200 yds Schuetzen where the long nose may cause more problems than it solves.  Note that Dan's designs and the Long Range bullets of Sharps and similar have noses that are about 1/2 the total length of the bullet - or more (60% for the Sharps LR bullet).  These may have issues with slumping that overwhelm their advantages in the wind, while the reverse might be true at longer range.

The Darr bullet that I've seen is no pretty thing, but I have seen it do very well in smokeless loads.  Not too hot in bp loads.  It's nose is quite a bit shorter.  

I see that the diameter did not come through for some reason.  It is 0.361" as drawn.
Brent

IP Logged

Subsailor

"Sharks of Steel" U.S.
Submarine Force

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Brent,
The other day out of curiosity, I was taking the .45 version of Dan's MiniMicro bullet and reducing it down to a .38 PP using the same nose and I came pretty close to your dimensions; .361" dia., bearing surface length of 0.700" and an overall length of 1.370". Assuming a barrel with 0.378" groove/0.370" land. I have not made a chamber cast yet to determine the true dimensions of my barrel. 

This is certainly something I want to try out.

Interesting observation concerning the bullet length and the distance. I would have thought that a bullet designed for long range would also be optimum for use at a shorter range, provided it was propelled at the same velocity. I do not know about designing bullets, but it is interesting to understand how the shapes and sizes develop and why.

I just wander if an adjustable mould, such as an Ideal, would be beneficial to determining the optimum length for a given application, i.e. Schuetzen verses Silhouette. Again provided it was propelled at the same velocity.

Thanks for bring it this up. Should be very interesting.

Craig

ASSRA #9843
N-SSA 6785-V
NRA
LT. USN (Retired)
U.S.Submarine Veterans Inc.
Silent Service MC
GTalkYIM  
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Craig, I wish I had the answer.  I am sure that they are out there somewhere, though maybe not in the Schuetzen literature.   

FWIW, with my .45s, I use swaged bullets that I can make any length.  I often shoot 475 or 500 grs bullets that have a slight semi-wadcutter like ogive on them.  They make beautiful round holes and they fly very well out to 200 yds.  Their noses are short, sometimes flat nosed even, and I don't worry much about aerodynamics over such as short distance.  However, maybe I should.   

True the wind does not have as long to act on them, but if they get blown half an MOA off course, I probably just lost at least a point on the target, just as I might for the same 1/2 MOA at 1000 yds.  So, I'm not sure protection from wind drift is really all that much MORE important at 1000 than at 200.  A point is a point and can easily be the difference between first place and first looser, to quote HST.   

But one thing might happen more with poorly aerodynamic bullets. They may become much less stable as they slow down. I don't know this - I'm guessing.  So, if the short nosed bullet starts out more stable by virtue of a better balanced nose, it may loose that advantage relative to a longer nosed, more aerodynamic bullets that starts out a smidgeon less stable but looses additional stability more slowly along the way.   

In an extreme case, a bullet that might be okay out to 200 might be tumbling terribly at 1000.  In fact, I have had something that might be like this with my bullets in loads I developed for my last Creedmoor match.  There, I had good accuracy at 200 yds with nary a sign of anything like a flier.  But a week later the same loads were putting 1 in ten bullets in the dirt 200 yds or more in front of the target.  Something wasn't right.  I think it was not the bullet per se but the patch.   

Anyway, short vs long range will probably require different bullets and different compromises.  I just don't know anything about them.

I sure would like to hear how the Darr Borton bullet shape came to be, but that may be a trade secret I suppose.   

Brent

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Hi Brent !!!

I have attached a page that I used with Lyman’s information describing their long-range bullets. Even if it’s not in .38 cal., (but in .45), these profiles should give you a idea of which you would use.

I too shoot at the 200 range and have good results with the Spitzer.. You can buy a box of anything now day’s before you start casting your own…  You may even want to consider a couple of different styles based on the environment during that day of shooting…

Good Luck !!!

Redwing~

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 36 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint