Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What to do with OLD, but new-in-can powders? (Read 6350 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

What to do with OLD, but new-in-can powders?
Jan 18th, 2008 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Well.. into my lap has fallen 15-20 (I havent' even counted them yet) cans of assorted smokeless powders.  This was in a deal where I was after the bullets in box "A", but a guy wanted to be rid of box "B" also.   

I thought it was a bunch of opened cans, but I find some pretty old (Hercules marked 8oz cans of Unique, Green Dot, and others) cans that still have their factory seals intact!  They've never been opened!

A couple that HAVE been opened, I poured a bit out... and gave it a close eyeball and sniff. A can of Unique still has loose grains (not clumped up), still the proper color, and still even has a hint of the ether smell that brand new powder has (despite more than 20 years old!).

Question is... what to DO with it all?
Load it and shoot it? (that which passes eyeball and sniff tests...)
Mix it 50-50 or less with new powders of the same type? (8oz of old unique into a can of new unique).
Pile it on a steel plate and light it from a distance to be rid of it and sell the cans as collectors items?

I haven't even finsihed inventorying it all yet.... I DO know that I have an unopened 3lb can of Red Dot with a lead foil seal still intact over the screw cap...  Hmm.. that's almost enough to justify buying something I can load USING Red Dot, huh?   

Suggestions, discussions, or comments about my insanity are welcome..

Paul F.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Re: What to do with OLD, but new-in-can powders?
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Use it or sell it. If using it, I suppose one could blend it with current production powder as the burning rates likely different.

I have disposed of old powders by burning. I should probably add one of those lawyer-type statements about doing at your risk, etc, but I have not found lighting smokeless powder from a distance to be necessary. When burned in open air the blaze grows quickly but nothing like the millisecond rate when burning inside a cartridge. Actually I think it is a pretty pyrotechnic display. A 3-4 lb pile of assorted powders gave off a column of flame 6"-8" diameter and about 6 ft high and sounded like a rocket engine.
Unless you are in a really open area, I wouldn't light anything like 15 lbs. all at once. A local gun shop did something like that in an alley behind the store once and nearly took out the overhead powder lines!

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I had to burn a bunch of smokeless powder that was acquired in containers that were NOT the original containers, and therefore there was no really reliable way of identifying it. I can tell you from personal experience that there IS a difference in the burning rate of powders.  Most rifle powders burn with a lot of flame and sparks, etc, but the pistol powders you should definately light from a distance, and make darn sure there is no other powder or combustibles anywhere in the area. A small batch that I lit went off with a bang and could have could have set off other powders if it werent for the fact that it was the last batch, which was simply a coincidence.   
Joe S

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 10:22am
Print Post  
...or you can turn it in with the soil and mulch of your garden as a fertilizer.  Wink

I'm not all that crazy about burning it around my neighborhood...don't want to call attention to the fact that I keep significant amounts of powder at my place. The neighbors probably know it, but why make them more aware of it?  Huh

Froggie

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I've been shooting old powders that passed the sniff test, for many (~40) years now, including such disparate burning rates as surplus 4831 and quite elderly 2400 with the lead seal. No problems so far.

To really appreciate the following, you gotta understand that I live down in the heart of Redneckland, down where some of the very best entertainment of all is to be seen when one of The Good Ole Boys says to another local, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Sometimes it can remind me of evolution in action, as when one of those mental giants sorta involuntarily removes himself from the gene pool, but nothing like that happened here. Close, but not quite.

One of my old running buddies from back in the old country, Grinning Ray, was a fellow who would literally try just about anything to satisfy his curiousity......... or just to make a public spectacle sometimes. To make a long story short, he found that an old-style steel canister of pistol powder, when hit with a high-velocity bullet such as from his 30-06, would explode quite spectacularly. He said it seemed about the same as one stick of dynamite such as the farmers around here use for beaver dams and such. He also said that a lighted match, when dropped into the open mouth of such a steel container of pistol powder, would produce a flame jet ~ 20 feet long in the millisecond or two before the can exploded.

Been hangin' with Ray since we were in high school, never personally seen him daunted by man or beast throughout some fairly hairy adventures. Ray was very enthusiastic about the possibilities of remote detonation via BAR and has done it again on several occasions at various times in various places.

But even Grinning Ray, who's famous for grinning while joyously and repeatedly doing things that would make most of us quail with fear, said that he had to shake out his britches-laigs after that match-in-the-can experiment, and that he would not be doing such a thing again.

I was impressed, that's the only time I've ever known Ray to back up from anything.

These instances might have been a fluke but I treat all old powder as though it was still as strong or maybe stronger than new.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

humboldt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Paul,
This powder wouldn't have come from the estate of a recently deceased member of the Redwood Gun Club,or would it?If so, you got any moulds for sale?Mori (humboldt)

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Humboldt;

Nope... this was from another gentlemans father-in-laws estate..
I have not inquired about our late club members estate (but I'm curious also).

Once I inventory the powder, primers, and bullets in the musty carboard boxes, I may have some odds and ends for sale/trade.  No molds, unfortunately.

See ya at the range!
Paul F.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the advice!

I'll give all cans a careful look, and try using some (with appropriate caution in case of dramatically different burn rates in some of the older powders).

If they pass the look test and the sniff test, I'll try 'em.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Paul F.
Using the normal precautions, mentioned above, should keep a person out of trouble when using "old" powders.

I have been using some up that are in excess of fifty years old. Understand, I KNOW how these have been stored. If they pass the sniff test, then use it. It is near crimnal to burn useable powders Embarrassed

Dale53.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 1:01am
Print Post  
The safest way to dispose of old powder that you are unsure of without burning is to scatter it on your lawn. Makes good fertilizer. If it were mine and I was sure of exactly what it was I would probably use it in low end reloads. Got to be careful because the old stuff may not perform the same as the new stuff.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 6:58am
Print Post  
Above my loading bench I have a shelf for just such decoration i have a full unopened can of super ballistite among them I call it my grandfather shelf. 
I have shot 30 to 40 year old powder and it worked well, down side is that is all of it you are going to get.
irish

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 9:01am
Print Post  
If you spill some on the carpet under your loading bench, dont, DONT use your wifes best vacum cleaner to suck it up, the voice that knows, has spoken..

IP Logged

RussW
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Powder doesn't deteriorate much as long as it is kept at a near constant temperature.  It will last for many years.
Russ W.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint