Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Italian Tang Sights? (Read 6300 times)
trev

Italian Tang Sights?
Jan 15th, 2008 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Looking through the offerings at Track of the Wolf, and ran across the Italian made tang sights they are selling.

At right around $50 for a tang sight, just how cheap an' nasty are they? Anyone had hands on a set?

Nasty? Really nasty? Useable?

Looking at building up a BPCR type rifle for fun, on the cheap. Given the amount of effort that would go into building a set of sights, I figure that $50 is cheap, even if they do require some working over to get reasonable use out of, but I figured someone here would have had hands on a set.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Re: Italian Tang Sights?
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I have two of the Pedersoli sharps style with windage and hadley eye cup, and I like them a lot. The earlyl ones had vernier graduations precision etched into the staff that were so fine you could not read them, Lee Shaver ground them off and put the traditional American vernier marikings on and it works just as well as my MVA.  The MVA is finished much nicer and is no doubt better, but the Pedersoli is sturdy, well made and very functional.  DO NOT buy the Italian tang sight which pivots left and right for windage, that is not the way to go. Pedersoli makes several  styles, including Soule, but the ones I have are the model USA 430. You can see a good photo at the Pedersoli website. Hope this helps, Joe S

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Trev,
the 50 dollar sight is pretty nasty if you want to shoot for score. If you want something to just sit there and look kind of original, go for it. Lee Shaver takes them and makes a soule sight out of 'em for under 200.oo. Buffalo Arms carries a good assortment of them. My Pedersoli came with the sight a step up from the 50 dollar sight. I took it right off when I got the gun. At the time, I could not find a soule I could afford and got one of the Pedersoli sights with a windage screw and a Hadley eye cup. That sight kept decent settings and repeatability, but ran out of windage! It wouldn't go over far enugh on a windy day, and I was shooting 200 NOT 500 meters. 
Then I got a pedersoli soule sight for my Birthday one year, I still wasn't aware that Shaver was offering his updated soules for about the same price. My pedersoli soule works ok, but repeatability is something to be desired on it. It seems something in the drum has a little slop in it.
If I get on and stay on, I am ok. But every match my settings in my notes only get me close, then I need to shoot more sighters than I want to.
I guess what I am saving, is if money is an issue, and it is for most of us, at least look at the Shaver italian sight reworks. They are about half the price of even his complete made units and people seem to like them. SIghts are NOT where you want to skimp if you can help it.
There is a Ukraine made sight out there that a lot of people use and like. It falls somewhere between the Shaver Italian upgrade sights and the MVA sights in price if I remember right, around 300.00.

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

trev

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:53am
Print Post  
I don't honestly figure that the $50 sight is gonna do all that a good, quality sight, is gonna, just wondering if the $50 one, is worth $50, if ya know what I mean. These days, you don't get much for fifty bucks, when you are looking through the catalog for a sight.

I have the drawings set that is (I think) the same set sold by Buffalo Arms, that details various tang sights, and I figure that for $50, I would pretty much get something useable, if not exactly up to going to the big show with. Useable is OK. 

Droolin' over a boxed set with all the goodies, but looking for a useable unit in the meantime.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 10:32am
Print Post  
One problem with commenting on your questions is that we can only answer based on our own experience and we really dont know exactly which sight it is that you've got your "sights on".  At any rate, if windage is not an issue, the basic Italian import sight for around $50 will be serviceable, sometimes the marings are a little crude and not evenly spaced but they to work.  I would hightly recommend a Hadley eyecup,which is will give you your best return in terms of equipment improvement for your dollar. Lee Shaver sells them to fit any sight.  Start with the basic sight, buy a Hadley when you can afford it, and if the elevation markings arent good enough you can always upgrade later. Lee Shaver can also re-cut the elevation markings for  a lot less than the cost of a new sight. With the hadley eyecup you will have a very  serviceable sight for about $100. I won a few medals with a $35 Italian tang sight before I upgraded, so I know they can be be serviceable, the reason I upgraded was lack of windage, otherwise I was happy with it. Good Luck! Joe S

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Trev,
Check the tang sights at Jeff's Outfitters. They're only about $65, and the quality is much higher than the $50 sights sold at TOW. 
I've got several of them for Ballard, Stevens, and Winchesters, and although they're still not match grade sights, they will perform well for hunting or casual shooting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
You can make a bad sight shoot good. Use a dial caliper to set it recording measurements for distances.

As long as the staff stays straight and nothing slips all you need is the aperture.  The dial caliper takes care of the rest.   

I struggled with a poor tang on a H&R Officers model until someone showed me that trick

Boats

IP Logged

trev

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I like the dial caliper idea!

I was really looking at the cheap sights as a way to get a handle on trying the stuff out. Tang sights, that is.
I figured that the cheap units had to be as good as I could make, for a first attempt, anyways, and would give me a few ideas about what there was to not like, as well as providing a starting point for a rebuild, if I felt the need.

Just hobby stuff.

I don't shoot well enough to think I should be entering any matches, but my home will soon (if all goes well in the next year) be on a bit of property with enough room to shoot at middle and long ranges, should I wish.
We already have 200 yards there, with a shooting bench set up and waiting.
Mostly, just trying to get a feel for whether a guy actually would get his $50 out of them, or $65, in the case of the ones at jeffsoutfitters.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Trev, someone has to be included in the results column "also shooting poorly was..." besides myself!   Grin

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Hello Trev,

You dont have to be shooting "well enough' to be shooting at matches.  Show up, bring your rifle and ammo and shoot. if you dont like it, you dont have to go back, but if we all waited till we were good enough none of us would ever make it to a shoot. 
However, if you are the type of person that cannot stand to try something unless you can win , thats another issue. However, most of us who shoot do it because we like shooting and if you enjoy shooting its usually more fun to do it with others of similar interests , and you will get to see how the "really good " shooters do it and maybe learn something, or maybe they will learn something from you . At any rate,  rifle matches are a lot of fun, whether it be high power, silhouette, mini-palma, schuetzen or whatever. Give it a try. Joe S

IP Logged

trev

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the invites and the encouragement.

Gotta build the rifle before I can bring it anywhere!

Looks like a Rolling Block, as I have two of them now, both of Scandinavian origins.

Gotta turn down the barrel, etc, etc, etc...

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint