Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1874 Sharps factory letter (Read 4498 times)
red_stevens
Ex Member

1874 Sharps factory letter
Dec 26th, 2007 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I called Dr. Labowski this morning and he looked at the records and told me that my 1874 Sharps letters exactly as is and that it was sold on April 4, 1877 to a dealer in NYC named Edwin S. Harris.  Its a standard sporter in 44 calibre also stamped "75" for the black powder charge on the right barrel flat just ahead of the receiver.  It has a single trigger and 30 inch barrel and weighs 10.5 pounds.   
Here is my question:
He wants $150 for the factory letter and I am having a tough time spending that much on the letter.  I would like to have it but I also think it might not be worth it.  If it said the rifle was sent to Kansas, Texas, Colorado, Montana, or some Buffalo hunting area then I would definately spend the money.   
What do you all think?  I need some advice.   
Red

IP Logged

pmcfall
Senior Forum Member

Re: 1874 Sharps factory letter
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Red
I'd say that it depends on what you intend to do with the rifle, selling it or keeping it for your own use.  If you intend to sell the rifle, the letter could indeed increase the value of the rifle thereby making the $150 a good investment.  If you plan to keep it, how much is the curiosity you have concerning the rifle's origins worth to you.
Phil

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
It's a lot but worth it.  Probably less than 2 % of the rifles value.  Shame some public organization does not own the records so the money could go to collectors causes but that's the way it is.

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
I try to letter every original arm I acquire, as SOP. I've spent some fairly major $ (for me anyway) over the years but have never regretted it and have sold several for noticably higher prices as a result, and in addition enjoy the satisfaction of having the provenance on the ones I keep.

However in this case, if I were in your position, I would try to be happy with simply having the knowledge that the arm is righteous, and instead spend that $150 on My Bride.

Reasons? IMO the knowledge is the most important component of what Dr Labowskie is selling, and he's already given you that for free. BIG DUH on his part! Actually I'm kinda surprised, given my previous acquaintance with the fellow, that he would actually give away anything but a hard time, but apparently you lucked out. My Labowskie letter looks pretty shabby when compared with my two letters from the previous Sharps records owner (Dr Moore) or any of the letters authenticating Colt, Winchester, L.C.Smith, Marlin and Springfield arms. Mighty shabby-looking indeed, and not worth it IMO in this case where you already have the knowledge.
JMOFWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I'd skip the letter too, now that you have the info. If you ever sold the Sharps, you can always guarantee that it "will letter in this configuration".
I'd write the info he told you down, especially if he gave you the ship date! As long as you can guarantee it will letter, that's good enough for most folks.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint