Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Marking cases (Read 3295 times)
Van
Senior Forum Member

Marking cases
Dec 18th, 2007 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I just finished fire forming 125 40-65 W/W cases form my Browning bpcr, I plan on dedicating these just for the longer chamber Browning, how would you mark these cases so I can tell them apart from my other cases, seeing that I have 4 40-65's in the safe and I like to shoot them all.
This is going to be my dedicated silhouette gun for the year. 
Is there anything that I can put on the base of the case to permanently mark it.  I don't think I want to file notches in the base. 
Any ideas otherwise. 

thanks VAN  Smiley

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: Marking cases
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Why not file notches?  I do.

Alternatively, use a punch and put a dimple in a specificed location. 

Brent

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I already have some WW cases filed with a notch and I'd have to bag those or file two notches.  The  other WW cases that are notched are shorter like 2.10 like the book suggest, but "Dan T. the Man" says that the Browning chambers are like 2.125 and after looking into it I believe that to be true, so I bought new WW 45-70 cases and formed them, then fire formed them with some older BP and after the fire forming the cases did shorten to about 2.130 so I just cleaned up the end to 2.125.  Hoping that this will do.   
Guess that I could use a Magic Marker but that would come off when polishing them.  All my cases are polished to new condition otherwise so maybe I'll just leave them BROWN, like the old guys did.

thanks again,  VAN

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Van, the punch will work. 

But if you filed notches with the corner of a file, then you could cut different shaped notches this time.   I have all my .45-100 brass notched to identify weight classes.  I used a metal cutting blade in a "saber saw" that I held in a vice.  It was much faster than filing and the notches are square bottomed and really easy to see.  They are convenient to orient to 12 o'clock for indexing in the chamber too.   

I would not waste time with a marker.

Brent

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Van, I have identified brass for specific rifles by stamping the base with a letter character that identifies specific rifles. For instance, I have a 32-40 I built. I call that my "Home Talent Rifle) thus brass for it has an 
(H) stamped. Have a 32-40 Takedown, Its brass is stamped (T). Have a Pope 38-55, Its brass is stamped (P). and so on and so forth. For most of us our rifles have some specific characteristic we can and do identify. So just stamp the brass with the first letter of the characteristic letter. I use 1/16" high letters. I use a steel sleeve that stands up nicely and a SMALL brass hammer so I don't do any damage to the brass. A light tap will strike the letter well enough so that tumbling will not remove it or make it unreadable. I have brass that has been in use for 20 years stamped in this manner and it is still quite clear and obvious. HTH, Regards. FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I have used a permanent marker on the head and it lasts a long time. You can touch up as needed.

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:47am
Print Post  
thanks for the help.........
van

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Rocky mountain cartridge will custom head stamp.  He set my everlasters up with 4 for my # 4 barrel and 5 for my # 5 32/40 barrel. Although I don't Use them anymore which is another story.

A single regular W-W case works best for me. I keep a box of 20 marked on the outside for each of my 3 barrels.  Never allow them to mix.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint