Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Frog--have you heard this one (Read 3133 times)
leadball
Ex Member

Frog--have you heard this one
Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I'm reading some old Muzzle Blasts bought at Etna Green several years ago.The writer of this article about H.M. Pope was Harold A.  Van Kirk--seems Harry's Winchester 22RF Schuetzen could be switched from centerfire to rimfire with the turn of a screw--anyone ever hear of this conversion.  Another part of this article about Pope states that the problem with Stevens was not the product but, he thought the company was exploiting his good name, I've not heard this story either.  One thing seems to be for sure "he was one cantankerous old f#@t.   PS  I mean that in a loving way.    leadball

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Frog--have you heard this one
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Leadball, yes that's true. In 92 I got to play with the rifle for a day.

If I remember right the lever pin was made accentric.   

The entire outfit was rough. Especially the stock. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Yes, I had heard about the eccentric pin to raise or lower the whole block to get the firing pin to the right place.  Joe, maybe you can tell us whether he did this on a coil or flat spring action...I would guess it would work better on the coil spring.

As for the comments about the his feelings toward Stevens, it si known that they didn't want to allow him to take the time and pains with each unit out the door that he felt should be on any work with his name on it.  He also left them under less than amicable circumstances, feeling that he had been taken advantage of, and them perhaps feeling they had gotten too little return on their investment in his name and knowledge.  Both dealt with the situation their own way!  Some hints at this can be found in one of the fictional JM Pyne stories by Lucian Cary...everybody agrees that the title character of these tales was a thinly disguised HM Pope.

Froggie

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Geez! 

I wished I could remember. It's been so long ago I can't even remember if it was a takedown model or not.

The accentric pin system was explained to me. I remember not understanding it then.  It was complete I think, and so didnt get a look at the parts. 

It was in Ron Longs shop for repair's. Ron told me it was an ingenious design and high quality work. 

Ron also had in the shop an original Zischang Borschardt false muzzle 32/40 that is pictured in Sellers book. When that was handed to me I forgot all about the Pope. My God, what a craftsman that man was!!

Really wished I could remember!   Sad

I wonder where it is now.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RJM

offset screw
Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 7:00am
Print Post  
If you look in "The Story of Pope Barrels", you'll see a drawing of the screw & the way it works. 

I always thought it was a cool idea to try, but I never got a round to it.
Regards, Ron

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 10:26am
Print Post  
That's where I saw it!!  Roll Eyes  Thanks, RJM.  I have a lot of that stuff packed away as I have been living between two houses for a year (long story.)  Anyway, I knew I had seen that info way back when I first got interested in SS rifles and was devouring everything I could find.

BTW, the JM Pyne stories I mentioned were collected by Guy Lautard a few years ago into a single volume.  A good read for anyone interested in SS rifles.  Smith's book on Pope's barrels is another good read, but the going is a bit slower because it has more technical stuff rather than stories.

Froggie

IP Logged

RJM

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
The JM Pyne stories are great. I loaned them to a friend who was getting into shooting. When he returned the book, I asked him what he learned from it. He said, "Nothing, it's just stories." He couldn't have been more wrong. Lucian Cary was a great writer.
Regards, Ron

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint