Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dr. Gunn's records-and more (Read 13627 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Dr. Gunn's records-and more
Dec 13th, 2007 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Dick Trenk wrote to me saying that Mrs. Gunn was turning Dr. Gunn's records and written material over to him for sorting/cataloging/? and asking if I had a suggestion about the ultimate home for this material.
I responded that the ASSRA archives, Rudi Prusok, seemed like a good place-I know of no other gun organization with this library type place.
Dick writes now and again, wrote this AM. 
I talked to Rudi some time back.
What I'd like to see is some changes or improvements or modernization to the archives; certainly none of this is in any way a criticism of Rudi or what he's done.
I'd like to see:
A web site for the archives
A list of books and periodicals and ??, sorted or indexed several ways
For example, by "Ned Roberts", by "Muzzle Loading" and maybe by "Target Rifle".
Indexing or cataloging is a big effort, makes the reader's/researcher's life much easier. 
Some to a lot of material on the web site, free and clear to read, right there.
Some or a lot of the material available on CD. Why isn't the Journal available on CD, from the earliest issue?  Much of this material is out of copyright, why not put it on CD?

I have room constaints, can't have boxes of journals etc-but I have plenty of room for a CD or a hundred. Would folks buy the 1921 Lyman manual on CD? I would, price right.

A bit over three months ago I wrote to the ASSRA President and officers, asking for:
financial reports (offered to pay)
consideration of nationals at venues other than E.G.
consideration of spending some $$ on the archives 

To date, there has been no answer other than the Bob Carow "this isn't official" and the John Merz "I'm not the President any more" responses.

If the purpose of the ASSRA is to collect #35 per year from 2000 members and spend the bulk of that money on improvements to a range where maybe 50 members shoot three times a year; and if only those 50 or so attendee members get to vote on the direction of the organization and who the officers are; and if those officers need not respond to members-like me; then what we have here may not be a non-profit organization but may be an organization devoted to subsidizing the shooting of those 50 guys-giving them something of certainly greater value than what they pay. Subsidizing the shooting of these 50 or so fine fellows may be what the membership wants; but I must wonder if this accretion of value to the 50 isn't income, or profit.

I hope-I know- that there's some way to allow the membership to voice it's desires as to the initiatives and direction of the ASSRA, a way to offer them, the members, alternatives to the initiatives and direction of the 50.   
I'd like to see this happen, an open discussion-in the Journal. 
Otherwise, I'm back in the Campbell Grant days with a looming battle that I'd rather avoid.

joe b.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Dr. Gunn's records-and more
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 7:55am
Print Post  
This is the very first time I've ever been in total agreement with anything JoeB has said.

He was very reasonable & articulate and expressed his concerns fairly and calmly, and he deserves to have these concerns addressed by the BoD.

I'm fairly sure that the BoD is composed of folks who are trying to do The Right Thing, but I'm also VERY sure that they aren't aware of how their actions and non-actions are viewed by the membership-at-large.

Or perhaps they aren't concerned? Their response (or lack of one) will be a good indicator IMO. Regards, Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:35am
Print Post  
JB has brought up a couple of valid points.
Just a couple of personal comments regarding the ASSRA Archives.

The future of the ASSRA archives are a major concern, and they have been for a quiet a while.  During the time I was Editor it was something the BOD was attempting to find a practical and reasonable solution for.  I can only assume that this is an ongoing concern.  It is a difficult and complex problem with no easy answer.

The ASSRA has only one "paid" position---Journal Editor--and it is basically an honorarium that is well under minimum wage for the time and effort involved.  The other positions are volunteer with some reimbursement for out of pocket expenses.
Administering the Archives is real labor of love for Rudi, but like almost all of us he has only a limited amount of time to devote to it.   I know that he has been looking toward finding some one to pick up the mantle so that a transition can be done effectively and efficiently.   Managing an archive requires some technical requirements and skills as well as space and time.  It's not just something that can be stashed in the basement or garage.  I understand that the ASSRA Archive would make up a rather substantial truck load of paper,  and I'm not talking a pickup truck!
  ALL non-acidd-free printed material since the post civil war era is deteroriating.  It requires special care.  Transferring it all to digital data is possible, and might be
the ideal; but at a pretty fierce cost in terms of equipment and especially time.  Digitizing, indexing, cross indexing and cross-referencing while desireable are tasks that would require much more effort/time than is currently available. 

Perhaps someone with the time and equipment might be able to scan and format all of the Journals and make them available on CDs on a for-profit basis with BOD approval in a somewhat simialr manner to what has been done with the Journal Index.
    I have several othe periodicals that have been done that way and none of them are really very good. The  actual page to page images are OK but there are significant problems that have to be solved to make them really usable.

This in no way represents ANYTHING other than my own personal opinion based on my past experience as an x-officio BOD member while Editor and a number of years experience working in the museum/archive field.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I've bee peripherally involved in another magazine's attempt to digitize it's back issues... (VERY peripherally...).
Suffice to say that they learned that the twists and turns of copyright laws make it considerably harder than you'd think.

That being said, I have access to a copier that is also a scanner here at work, and would be HAPPY to volunteer some time on some weekends to scan back issues if the ASSRA determines that it can legally issue back issues digitally without consent of authors whose original agreement may have been for "single publication" on printed media.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I would suggest that any college or university would be the WORST of all possible caretakers for any archive involving firearms.
Staff and faculty rotate too often, and "those musty old boxes of gun stuff" would likely as not get tossed out within 20 years...

As for voicing your opinion on another forum; feel free. It takes very little to set up your very own web forum, were you can be king and discuss whatever you like.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
A museum is generally the best place for storing records as archives.  But it takes money and commitment.  A University museum might be okay but I doubt any would be interested as the ASSRA just doesn't have much history behind it.   

The Cody Museum that is the archive for all things Winchester, might be  a better idea.   

My guess is that Michael Petrov could suggest 10 better ideas off the cuff.  But more than likely, some sort of museum would be best.  Perhaps a city, state or regional museum around Etna G would be willing.  The ASSRA's sphere of influence may be broad, but it is not deep so museums far away will not be likely to bite unless they have a very specific interest in modern shooting sports (how likely is that?).

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
When Dick Trenk asked for suggestions on another board about where Dr Gunn's papers should go, I also suggested the ASSRA Archive. I must admit, I didn't know then just how large the current archive was.

I have on several occasions ordered copies of documents from Rudi and I have has a very rapid response and the charges are very reasonable indeed.  I'm sure all ASSRA foks will be appreciative of just how much work he does.

As to the Archive going into some Museum or other Institution, that's a fine idea at first, but I have found that many such institutions charge high rates for copies of documents and delivery can take weeks if not months.

Once out of the possession of ASSRA there is no real control as to how they are stored, who has access or control over pricing charges for copies of documents. Storage space is often a problem even in museums and libraries and I have known books and other documents either sold off or otherwise disposed of simply because they weren't consulted or withdrawn for reference. I'm sure none of us would like to see that happen.

Perhaps othere would like to air their views in this thread before any final decision is made.

Harry

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Every professionally run archive/museum I know of, including the college ones have substantial overhead costs for both staff and facilities.  Research fees, and copy costs are usually prorated in some way to help offset those costs.  I think the Rudi provides his services for little more than literal copy costs and postage.  This level of service can only come from dedicated volunteers or from a subsidized program.

If the Association eventually is forced to pass the archive collection to another agency we will lose control of the resources and we will also lose the service level we have come to enjoy.

Again JMHO

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Why do we not figure out a way to either pay for help and keep it for ourselves?? I am sure the members would be willing to pay enough more for these services and to have good help. I know I would. Whitey

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
In my humble opinion.   

ASSRA is not a large organization and has some big issues on it's plate.  Publishing a color magazine is a real undertaking, Storing historic documents and records too. The Etna Green range is a big expense.  My club just approved a large issue just to pay for mandated range improvements that we never expected. It could happen in Indiana too.

We run with volunteers, membership fees are our only income.  Raise rates and number of members drops or at best stays flat.  Like it or not I think some choices are in our future.   

Boats

IP Logged

Black_Prince
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
You are exactly right Boats.  We keep raising range fees in the north Georgia area and it has no effect on those wanting to join.  It now cost 900 bucks to join River Bend and we are getting new membership applications with a 900 dollar check attached every week.

At Pickens County we have a moratorium on allowing any additional members until 2010.  We just raised the membership to 300 from 250 members in July to reduce the number of people on the waiting list which was about 50 at that time.  It's been five months and we already have over 60 people on the waiting list and it grows weekly.  Dues notices went out December 1.  If they are not paid by January 10, you are dropped and the next guy on the waiting list is allowed in and you go to the back of the waiting list.   Finding a decent place to shoot around here is getting more difficult every day, so the price keeps going up. 

I have to chuckle every time I see somebody bitch about paying 35 dollars to ASSRA because it goes to keep up their range at EG.  35 bucks wouldn't buy a blank membership application form around here.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Black Prince the public range near home  just raised it's annual fee from 125 dollars to 300 and charges 200 more if you want to shoot 200-300  But the big shocker came to our club range two years ago. Anti Gunners tried to close us down. They failed on the noise issues but when under the County's examination they found many things we had to change.  Or club has been there over 50 years and we never made upgrades. Small stuff at first but it adds up. Handicap parking spaces, lead management plans, re-align our High power range, our two fish ponds dams were not up to standards. Not to mention legal fees in 6 figures.

We voted two weeks ago to allow raising 600,000 dollars to pay for the required changes.  10 years worth of debt.  If it ever happens at EG people will have a lot more to complain about than our hard working volunteer board of directors.

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 2:35am
Print Post  
My local club has maybe 500 members, no waiting list, dues are $75/year, six ranges from 25 to 300 yds, most firing points are covered, air-conditioned (EXTREMELY important down here) rest rooms and reloading area, regular IPSC and High-Power and Silhouette matches, relaxed atmosphere but many good ole boys. Very, very few real single shot buffs but lots of once-a-year deer hunters and fun-loving handgun blasters.

I usually shoot during the week so as to avoid all the stares and whispers, heh heh.
Regards, Joe

PS: seems like, to me at least it seems, for all those many hundreds of $/year, it might be a lot smarter (DUHH!) to just purchase some land instead of financing someone else's purchase with their profit from my dues money. That's what I did, 8 acres and a 100-yd range. Of course I'm just a dumb Mississippian so what can I possibly know........

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 6:58am
Print Post  
From the PMs I see I wasn't clear.
I sent the message to the President, VP and Treasurer; then posted it here. Only response was from the treasurer, who wasn't having a good day.

I'm not looking for solutions here, although solutions may be forthcoming.

I'd like to see a test of National Matches in places other than EG. The CBA has 1 NM per year, at ranges in East, Midwest and West. This year it was Fairfax, next year Kansas City, etc. These ranges vary, means east isn't always Fairfax. ASSRA could have ex spring match in ex WA state. The object to make NM participation larger, easier access for some. A test.

I'd like to see the archives question/s be defined, and a set of folks assigned to the solution/s. Electronic data storage and distribution goes a long way toward easing space and access requirements. This needs attention by computer, data and library knowledgable folk. I think.
There's talk of making past issues of The Fouling Shot (CBA) available on CD, however there are opponents. Maybe a collaborative effort?

I'd like to see a place for alternative suggestions in the Journal. A place where the suggestions of the loyal opposition can be presented to the members. One of these alternatives might have to do with the emphasis on E.G., and the amount of $$ spent there. Could the $$ go somewhere else to the advantage of more members?

I'd like to see the members get to vote on future actions, after alternatives are presented in the Journal. We don't know who the candidates for office are, we have no opinions on these candidates, and we don't want to vote for them. We do, maybe, want to vote on actions, ACTIONS,  such as buying additional land around EG to keep the range safe from complainers-and we want(maybe)  to know the financial story. It's time for a test.

I've been extremely careful not to criticise the Journal or the Editor during the various transitions. That's over. Starting with the Campbell days I saw the Journal-the only thing that I and many other members see for our dues-get glossy and in color and lose content. It looks good, but there ain't much inside. I'd rather see equipment lists (almost anything) than copied reports of what happened in S.F. in 1903 or whenever it was. In the good old days we had a B&W cheap paper interesting magazine, probably printed at much lower cost, that was interesting.  Give me interesting, pay the authors with the money saved by cutting out the glossy and color. It's not interesting, it's awful.  This, of course, is just my opinion. Not a criticism of the present or last editor, who merely followed the Campbell trail. 

I'll write this up for the Journal and send it to John M.
joe b.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 9:27am
Print Post  
I'd like th answer two different threads here. First the idea of the Milwaukee Museum. I lived in Milwaukee a few years ago I went to the Museum to see the Nunnemacher collection. After tramping through the entire building and not finding one gun on display I went to the office. At the office I asked where the Nunnemacher colection was kept, nobody in the main office knew what I was talking about. When I explained what the collection was the receptionest sneered at me " Oh those old guns you'll never see those again. We have finaly taken them down." After that experence I will never support the sending them to a Public museum.
As to Joe's post; Matchs we own Beasons Range why would we want to go rent ranges around the country like homeless gypsies? Why don't we get the NRA to take Camp Perry on the road too. The Associations range is in Enta Green Indiana all are welcome to come and join us. 
Secondly the Archives Do you have some sugestions as to the computer/ library knowlegeable folks that we have overlooked? If so please share. The reason that the archives question has not been settled is that all the solutions proposed are worse than what we have. 
Lastly Joe The space alternative views is called Letters to the Editor. I have published every letter that I have recieved so far warts and all. All opinions will be published if they send me a letter. The reason that you don't know wh the candidates for office is No one has nominated them yet. If you would like to throw your hat in the ring please let us know. 
As to the content of the Journal I print everything that I can get my hands on Do you honestly belive that I am rejecting well written articles  that arrive in bundles every day. I scrape to get content every month. As for the color so far you are the only complaint that the magazine has color pages, As to equipment lists no one sends them to me. In my first yera I have published every equipment list that I have recieved and to date I have recieved NONE.
Frankly I am proud of what I have put out in the Journal. The historical articles seem completely appropriate in a magazine dedicated to the study of rifles manufactured between the end of the Civil War and the Beginning of WWI. I have reached out to the ISSA and soon articles written by their members will be part of the Journal also. I know that I can't fill Rudi's shoes so I don't try to I just do the best that I can with what I am given. If you think that what I am doing is so bad Write a letter to the editor and ask members to send their votes to you so you can indenpendently count them. Then send the results to me and I will publish them.

John Merz  (AKA 40 Rod)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint