Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Journal Nov/Dec 2007, cover photo (Read 10127 times)
frederick
Ex Member

Journal Nov/Dec 2007, cover photo
Nov 25th, 2007 at 10:43am
Print Post  
What is that rifle Bob Heeren is shooting? Also, good to see so much match coverage. It's up to the clubs to submit; be nice to see some
load data.

Fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Journal Nov/Dec 2007, cover photo
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
I should not speak for Bob but do shoot next to him   His rimfire rifle is a Low Wall,  Centerfire is a Miller.  Both equipped with 36x Weavers.  Bob does his own gunsmithing.

His set up offhand is as good as it gets

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
To add to what boats said, the stock is of course one of Bob's own and the heavy barrel is decidedly non-standard.  In addition, I believe the hmmer is a skeletonized version of the original, while it may have been made by Bob as well.  The basic action is a smooth side flat spring action.  Maybe we can sweet talk Bob into describing or letting one of us describe his rifle(s) in more detail for the Journal.  They sure do get the job done for him in offhand events! 

Froggie

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Aaaahhhhhh Boats- look again! Bob shoots a Peregrine (the smaller action) in centerfire!

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Well, one thing is for sure, he shoots them well! That is a great picture, Martin deserves compliments on it!

I thought it was a great journal as well. I also enjoyed the last one and the article about the Patt rifles, neat old guns. Being a Wisconsin native, wish I could end up with one some day!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
singleshot wrote on Nov 25th, 2007 at 4:54pm:
Aaaahhhhhh Boats- look again! Bob shoots a Peregrine (the smaller action) in centerfire!

Willis

It look's like a flat side low wall to me.  I've never seen a small Peregrine action.   Undecided.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
The rifle he is shooting (on his way to winning the mini-Hudson) is the low-wall rimfire rifle I discussed.  You can see a little of the Peregrine (small action, .32/.357 cal, IIRC) in the "rack" to the lower left of the photo.  Bob has a neat little pair of bars on his combination scope stand so he has both rifles at hand during a relay.  If conditions change or he just decides it's time, he can switch off and beat you with the OTHER rifle.  Wink  And yes, I'm sure it's a Peregrine, but the rest of the details are a little hazy.

Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Willis I think you are right about the Centerfire gun.  I don't know those newfangled actions well enough to tell one from another at a distance.  Whatever it is he shoots it very well. I know the scopes are both 36 x Weavers, he told me so.

You could go to school on Bob offhand and find the time well spent.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Oh, now I see , me duh! Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
And what you think is his look of concentration is hiim gritting his teeth knowing my .458 WM is about to cut loose!    Shocked

GREAT Picture!

GREAT shooting!

GREAT attitude, "That thing is too loud.  Unecessary."  Cheesy

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Black_Prince
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Ditto what the BIG CAT said.  GREAT PHOTO!!  GREAT journal issue as the last few have been.  Thanks to the new editor and to those of you who contribute the great articles.  I have REALLY enjoyed the articles about the old shooters unions and the journey's of those shooters in California.   Those guys took shooting seriously and obviously had the time and money to do it world wide.  Those traditions are what draws my interest to this kind of shooting.  

In looking at the cover photo, I notice Bob is not wearing a shooting jacket that I am accustomed to using in standard NRA high power and rimfire events.  Being new to schutzen shooting, I don't know all the rules yet.  Are standard shooting jackets allowed in off-hand shooting events or does this vary with each club and event?  

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Shooting jackets; current status is this:

International Single Shot Association (ISSA):  regional and international events do not permit shooting jackets.

American Single Shot Rifle Association(ASSRA): Shooting jackets are permitted at Etta Green, the national range. I don't know how most affiliated clubs handle this issue. (I only know of two shooters west of the Miss. that use jackets in schuetzen events)

Wyoming Schuetzen Union(WSU): Shooting jackets are permitted in this organizations "Open Class". Most of their shooters all shoot in a fairly
restricted "Traditional Class".

Opinion has it that a shooting jacket is worth from 50 to 150 points in
a 100 shot offhand match.

The big shoot is the International Shoot sponsored by the ISSA at Raton, NM each summer. This shoot attracts most of the talented shooters. 

I suggest that to maximize your opportunities to shoot that you abandon that jacket.

fred

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
BP, if you will look more closely, that is not a shooting jacket at all.  Bob habitually shoots in a vest that resembles a shotgunner's vest.  It has mostly mesh body and a no-slip panel at the shoulder to insure a firm and consistent position for the rifle's butt plate.  IIRC, he was wearing this over one of his collection of habitually pro-Gun, anti-PC T-shirts.   Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
black_prince;
                   I understand the ASSRA rules to say that , shooting coats & pants are permitted at ANY match unless that club prohibits them.  They don't seem to be used much but IMO if someone wants to shoot all tied &bound in 90 degree weather 'go for it.' 

IP Logged

Black_Prince
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies fellas. I am here to learn about schultzen shooting while coming from a different shooting game.  Frogie, I did notice Bob was NOT wearing a shoting jacket and it is why I asked about them.  I figured since he OBVIOUSLY has great form and what looks like a fine rifle, that he knows about jackets and since he didn't wear one, I figured they were not allowed.

Besides, the old time schultzen shooters didn't wear them, so why should I?   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint