Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dr. Gunn's records-and more (Read 13618 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Dr. Gunn's records-and more
Reply #15 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 9:47am
Print Post  
40 Rod agree completly with your comments on the Journal and Archives and appreciate what you are doing for the ASSRA.

Boats

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 10:16am
Print Post  

40-rod

i would like to know how you know elton johns cats name--also sounds like you may be gettin upset-----you dirty dozen Smiley

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 10:25am
Print Post  
BRAVO John, BRAVO.

Well stated, and that is a real shame on the WI Museum.
They are even on our Gratis list.

I sure wish we had a museum to house the "Old Guns"
But heck the Assoc would probably receive grieve over it.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Well put 40_Rod.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
You BoD members can break your arms patting yourselves on the back, all day long if you want, but that doesn't change the fact that you haven't addressed JoeB's questions and concerns.

He has offered the ASSRA a golden opportunity for a real asset to our library, and it appears that your (the BoD's) primary response is to tell everyone how much you (the BoD) sacrifice for the club.

All he seems to want is an update on how we stand with the question of archives and their storage, but so far it appears that no BoD member has responded to that question, or at least not in a courteous and constructive manner.

It gives the onlooker the idea that possibly you don't care. I personally don't necessarily believe it, but that's the impression you're giving.
Comments, anyone? Joe

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #20 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I have to put in a word of support for the Milwaukee Public Museum.
The Milwaukee Public Muesum now has a nice firearms display up in the area of the Streets of Old Milwaukee. The way things in general are displayed in nearly all museums have changed and that includes almost all things collected--be it stamps, coins, buttons, or firearms. Al Muchka, who is the curator, is a historian and is interested in the firearms, however, he has lots of other areas of responsibility. He can only display what he can convince the board to display. 
When the NRA convention was in Milwaukee, he was able to present a display of the best of the collection. Since then he has been able to do a couple displays of guns, but he does have to deal with others in management and on the museum board that do not like guns.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
If that is the situation in Milwaukee why would we consider it.??

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
JD our club was just like yours 400 members low dues and been on the same 480 acres for over 50 years.  However when you get into the "system" the bureaucrats find all sorts of things and they will not let go.  None of our issues were related to the original neighbor complaint on noise.  It was all use permit and regulations that had changed since our original permit for "a rifle range" 

However the point of all this is ASSRA and maintaining not only a magazine but valuable archives and a private range, all on 35 bucks a year from a finite and perhaps dwindling membership. The archives should be preserved cost the club almost nothing to maintain now and perhaps a very large amount in the future.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #23 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
JD

I did answer Joe's questions you just didn't like the answer.
In reference th the archives no one has been able to come up with a good plan as to the future of the archives. Send them to a museum / college isn't an idea unless you have one of those who are showing interest. Convert them to didgtal also isn't much help unless you are voulenteering for the job. The board is working on it but has not come up with an real world answer. 
Secondaly I told Joe that I would publish his letter to the editor to address the general membership with his issue. I meant it I will publish all views even the ones that I disagree with. What could be fairer than that. 
John Merz  (AKA 40 Rod)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 4:13pm
Print Post  

Re:  Milwaukee/Nunnemacher collection.

let me preface this by stating that for almost 15 years I was a musem director affiliated and trained in a number of national and international musem training programs.  I do know a little about musuems and archives.

At the NRA show in Milwaukee I had a chance to talk with the curator who was responsible for the nunnemacher collection.

As Laurie mentioned musuems have changed the way they display artifacts. Starting about 15 or 20 years ago they moved from large topical displays of related artifacts; as one would have seen with the Nunnemacher display all out in one hall at one time; to more topically integrated displays that have higher educational content.  this is called "interpretive" exhibits and it is still the current philosophy.  the old large complete displays were little more than open storage.
  I will admit that I too enjoyed being able to go to a museum and see ALL the guns or whatever, but in today's reality you'll only find that in small low budget museums unless you got specifically to a firearms museum where the museums statement of purpose is to display guns---period!!!!!   

For the NRA show they pulled out a smalle selection of Nunnemacher material and displayed is as a short term temporary display that they gave NRA attendiees a special discounted admission to see.   When the curator was visiting the ASSRA booth we discussed the exhibit and the whole Nunnemacher "problem"  I was warned that if I wanted to see single shots not to bother buying the ticket.  the combination of changing exhibit philosophy,  museum economics, and an increasing un-firearms oriented American population probably means that unless a major donor is willing to fund a special (very expensive) Nunnemacher exhibit no one will ever see the whole collection on public display.   As at most museums qualified researchers will probably be able to get access for study purposes

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
DWS may be you could do the job. are you not looking for work? Smiley

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Well, I guess you're right, I didn't like the answer. Mainly, I ddn't understand that it was supposed to be an answer, I guess.

40_Rod wrote on Dec 15th, 2007 at 9:27am:
As to Joe's post; Matchs we own Beasons Range why would we want to go rent ranges around the country like homeless gypsies?

Maybe to satisfy a major portion of the membership who will never get the chance to go to EG?

Why don't we get the NRA to take Camp Perry on the road too.

They already do, it's called the Regionals.

The Associations range is in Enta Green Indiana all are welcome to come and join us.

This response is, I believe, a momentary aberration; I hope it's not indicative of your general attitude about the time & $ constraints imposed upon many of us who aren't fortunate enough to live within driving distance.

Secondly the Archives Do you have some sugestions as to the computer/ library knowlegeable folks that we have overlooked? If so please share. The reason that the archives question has not been settled is that all the solutions proposed are worse than what we have. 

This is the part I didn't realize was an answer. I kinda expected to hear something about just which Director(s) had responsibility for finding and reporting alternatives, and a more-or-less current report on their progress/status with specific examples considered, and plans for pursuing the future solution.

John Merz  (AKA 40 Rod)

Is that Your Final Answer? (VBG)
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
"are you not looking for work?"   In a word "no" I've been there, done that, and burned out in the process.  I just know and understand what the museums and archives are faced with and the current trends.   I've spent time talking with appropriate ASSRA BOD members both past and present about the archive material.
 At present and in current economics there simply is not quick, simple, and effective solution other than to keep handling it as Rudi is doing.  The service he is providing in securing, safeguarding, and managing the archives is exemplary.  I personally am not convinced that a broad-based demand exists for any real immediate need for expanding the program.  At present the ASSRA simply does not have the funds or space to set up an alternative environmentally secure, technologically current facility as some would like and provide it with the staff level that would require.

As a group us "gun nutz" are SOL except for the few dedicated firearms museums. 

The Nunnemacher Collection is only one of several large fire arms (and other specialized item) collections amassed by wealthy collectors of a couple generations back that were housed in various museums.  At one point it was a sort of social status of the noblesse oblige type among wealthy souls to amass and donate a collection of some sort to a museum or archive.  Much status in having YOUR family's treasures on display in a museum for all to see.  Like endowing a building at a prominent university or research hospital is now.  
Now days museums have changed in so many ways that most would not even accept a large firearms collection unless the donor also endowed them with the money to conserve and display it; and unless they paid to build a special exhibit hall and a curator to care for it they would not agree to display it except on their own very limited terms.  In my years as a museum director I had to turn down a number of donations that would have fit well into our collections needs and our institution's statement of purpose because the prospective donor was insistent that it be on "perpetual display".  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #28 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Not to belabor the archives situation, but I can state that members of the BofD and other interested parties HAVE been discussing possibilities and near-impossibilities for what we might be able to do to care for and have continued easy access to the archives.  This has been going on since before I started my term on the Board, went through my tenure, and AFAIK has continued.

Some of the ideas will involve a certain set of events occurring or some as yet undetermined individual coming forward to do that work that we cannot have done for pay.  Nothing has ever reached the point where it can be publicized, but it IS being thought of, and suggestions are being accepted and considered.  The magnitude of the job is staggering and the volume of data as well as the volume of correspondence which will be ongoing would come as a surprise to most folks.  If the BofD started spending the money that it would cost to professionally administer this huge volume of material, there would be a lot of noise about that huge expenditure of money...look at what has been said about money to maintain the national range.   

I will try to explain what this involves by saying that Rudi gets letters from all over the world for info, and the archives we have are very likely the premier such collection in the world, private or public.  It has been presented in discussions that I have participated in that the volume is on the order of a tractor-trailer load of paper and books.  This accumulation happened at first mostly by accident from random donations of materials from Association members, but for the last several many years it has been due to the labor of love by Rudi Prusok.  If the collection has a soul and a personality, they come from Rudi, and it will only be when someone else takes up the mantle from him that it will be able to continue, much less increase or change.  The only organization I can even think of administering this collection would be the NRA, and I'm not sure even they would be willing to take it on and continue the service that is now available.  JMHO, but the very idea of turning all of this resource over to a museum or library somewhere with the possibility of it getting squirrelled away from use by all of us is simply horrifying.   

Charlie Shaeff
Green Frog

IP Logged

PeterM
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 16th, 2007 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
How would you like to see an 1810 Auction Catalog with an oil sketch by Rembrandt on the cover?   This catalog supposedly contains firearms, swords, etc.   It was part of the George F. Harding collection of Armour, Arms and Firearms.   From scant descriptions, the collection contains numerous documents and manuscripts.  It also includes some firearms that you would have to travel to the Victoria & Albert Museum in England or the Islamic Museum of Arms in Kuwait to find similar items.   No one is sure of the manuscripts and catalogs the collection contains, but most are considered unique.

The collection was given to the Art Institute in Chicago. Of the 1,500+ non-paper items, only 250 or so on display.  That was done nearly 40 years ago and most of the collection has yet to see the light of day.   A few items have been loaned out to other institutions, but are not accessible by the public.  It is impossible to get a catalog or simple listing of what is being held in storage. I know, I have tried.   I can not even confirm from the curators that they ever took pictures of every item.

A semi-truck load full of books, magazines, articles and research papers should not simply slip quietly into oblivion.   I do not pretend to have an answer.  I do know that in the next 20 years, as many collectors pass away, even more material will be lost.  Valuable history will be reduced to a paragraph on some web page.  

Pete

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint