Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remington Rolling Block Failure (Read 26625 times)
Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Re: Remington Rolling Block Failure
Reply #30 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 7:48am
Print Post  
this is my "roller resto project" rifle I just bought... it's a #1 Black powder action, that was converted to 225 Winchester ( probably in the 60's ), when it was redone as a bench rest rifle

both my builder ( a retired tool & die guy that has been building guns his whole life ) & I, think the 225 Winchester is too hot a cartridge for the black powder action, so... since the barrel is about 3/4 shot out, we'll be rebarreling it in 32-40... interestingly, while the barrel is nearly shot out, the action is still solid & tight... we won't know untill fully disassembled, what if any parts were changed or modified, but I suspect some of the action parts may have been changed out with smokeless parts ???

I found the pics interesting, as other forum members I've spoken with, have claimed that the breech block lock up was the weak link, but my buddy said he thought the frame between the pins was the weak link... he'll get a kick out of seeing the pics...

my "roller resto" project... "before" pics... ( I'm just begining to pull it apart, & should have it totally redone as a bench rest gun in 32-40, before winter is over )

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2008 at 1:54pm by »  

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Interesting roller you have.  Just one thought though.  The .225 didn't come out till the 60s.   

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Here is a link to a website showing a Danish Rolling Block failure that was discussed on the BPCR.net forum :

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Dave,

A very nice analysis.  I totally agree, the blowup was not due to a black powder load or to a primary action failure.  This has to be a gross overload of smokeless whatever the shooter says.  As one person on the BPCR site said, "it looks like a charge of C4".  Mix enough ignorance or stupidity with firearms and something bad is bound to happen and "there ain't no cure for stupid."

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #34 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Take a look at the detail of the end of the barrel. If you look the threads are turned down and it looks to be much deeper than just to go through the reciever ring. that would leave the barrel un supported at that point. This was the case when the Roller let loose that was written in the Journal a few years a go. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
If this rifle was fired with black powder, (ever!) it would not be so clean.
Fred/

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Magnum Wheel, That is a Beatifull Rifle, I am sure you paid a prtty penny for it!
Thanks for showing it
ACE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint