Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I hope this is the right place to ask this? (Read 2183 times)
acelungger
Ex Member

I hope this is the right place to ask this?
Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I have picked up several books on the BPCR, because they have a lot of knowledge about the rifles and the shooting of Black Powder> In every book I have read, they talk about the first shot being a fouler!
Okay, i can understand some of that, because when I was long range Varmit hunting, i learned to never run a copper brush to clean the barrel, just a little Hopes No.9 and then what ever patches to dry it out, then 1 patch with free breese and ready to go hunting the next time.Theroy behind this, when you totaly clean the barrel is lie a new barrel and needs some rounds shot threw it to back to where it was ?? But that is what i learned from 20 years of long range shooting Ruger #1.
I know that after you shoot your black powder guns you have to get all the depoosits, sulfur ect. to keep anything that is corrisve out and cleand and treated.
Show how do you hunt with a Black powder rifle, and need to make that first shot count?

If anything in my statement above is wrong, please correct me and explain, how to do the B.P. hunting, with out a fouler?

I would be very great full for any advice!!
Thanks 
ACE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: I hope this is the right place to ask this?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
ACE,

I'm by no means a BP expert (and I don't even play one on TV!  Wink ) but my take on this is to say, be aware of where to expect the first shot out of a cold, clean barrel will go.  Usually it will be, consistently high and right of the rest of the shots that come from a fouled barrel ( or maybe low and left, or whatever.)  Once you know what that first shot is going to do, that's all you need to know when you're hunting, right?

Froggie

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
For hunting with a black powder rifle (or any hunting rifle for that matter)you need to know where the first shot out of a clean, cold barrel goes.  That should be the shot that counts since a second shot with a single shot rifle is unlikely unless you connect with the first.  I think it was Townsend Whelen that called it the "sniper's zero".  With a good rifle it will be only a little out of the group, usually not enough to be significant for hunting accuracy at reasonable black powder ranges.   

As for cleaning black powder it is really easy in a black powder cartridge rifle.  If the barrel is in good condition then only two or three damp patches will remove the fouling followed by one or two dry patches and a good gun oil.  Check the bore again in a day or two.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Very help full info from both of you! I havn't even shot my rifle this weekend, plans have changed again! But soon!! I have a lot of learning the Black Powder Shooting! 20 years I owned that Ruger #1 243, and the only time it ever had a brush run threw it was when I bought it new! I loved that rifle it was a tack driver, but i was young and in good health. Thanks a lot guys!

ACE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint