Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remington Rolling Block Failure (Read 26609 times)
Ziggy

Remington Rolling Block Failure
Sep 19th, 2007 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Has any one ever seen the catastrophic failure of a Remington Rolling Block Action? Or a picture of same?

IP Logged

j sells

Life is too short to rush

Re: Remington Rolling Block Failure
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Mike Venturnio's book Buffalo Rifles has pic. I have fooled with rollers many years and have to say any failures I've seen, were caused by some jack leg who had altered them or loaded with wrong smokeless. If the rollers are shot with black powder or equal pressure smokeless they are as safe as any rifle from their era. When I shoot smokeless I use accurate arms powder usually 2495 or 5744 which usually pretty much fills the dash cart cases that I shoot. Doesn't mean they can't fail, but not likely if used as intended. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks I agree 100%. Having worked in a engineering lab doing failure analysis I am curious to the mode of failure. I have several RRB's and never had a problem even with some hot loads fired remotely (tire and string)

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Somewhere in storage I have the hammer from a failure. The block sheared the  front part of the hammer off.  This was the only damaged part. Storage being some where in Maryland and I am in South Africa.

This came off a Spanish Remington Rolling block that had been rebarreled to 45-70 and had been shoot with smokeless powder. The barrel was one of those kit barrels from  Numrich that was DIY installed.   

When I installed the new hammer I found when dropped the hammer cam surface would not contact the bottom of the block just as it struck the firing pin and lock the block. The block was pitched forward.  I set the barrel back so the block was perpendicular and everything locked up just fine.   

Asked the guy if he had been having problems with primers backing out and he said no, not at all.  But then they all say that.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 12:46am
Print Post  
The gun we have been fireing the hot loads in is a no.1 black powder action with a Numrich barrel. So far no signs of fatigue. Its had to see how the hammer could hit the firing pin and not lock the block?

IP Logged

Swede

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Spoke to a former NORMA employee.
He sad the rehardened 8mmx58RD Swedish RBīs were kind of dangerous since they had no flex or deformation, the just break like glas when they go... no warning signs...  Undecided   
He used to do this at his work to show pepole of the potential danger..
I have a picture of a broken one, on another computer, will try to get it up here soon.

Johan/ from Sweden

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 7:29am
Print Post  
About 10 years ago, there was a RB failure at Bisley.
The barrel / breach interface blew out and the sides of the action opened out like rabbits ears, in plan view.
The shooter was not injured. He was a very experienced reloader who had somehow managed to mistake Bullseye for 2400.
He loaded 30 grains of bullseye.
The pivot pins did not shear and the breech block and hammer were still locked together.
I only use proper gunpowder in mine.
Be warned!
Fred.

IP Logged

PeterM
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Swede wrote on Sep 20th, 2007 at 7:25am:
Spoke to a former NORMA employee.
He sad the rehardened 8mmx58RD Swedish RBīs were kind of dangerous since they had no flex or deformation, the just break like glas when they go... no warning signs...  Undecided  
He used to do this at his work to show pepole of the potential danger..
I have a picture of a broken one, on another computer, will try to get it up here soon.

Johan/ from Sweden

Johan,

That raises all sorts of questions.   Did they determine whether it was the choice of alloys involved or the original case hardening process?  If it was the original case hardening process that was flawed that can be corrected.  If it the choice of alloy, well not much can be done.   There are a lot of these 8mm being sold here at moment.  It would be good to know.

Pete

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 8:34am
Print Post  
A few years ago a shooter had a roller let go on him. It was written up in the Journal. As I remember it was a faulty rebarreling that was to blame. The action split down the middle with the hammer staying on one side and the block on the other. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Ziggy wrote on Sep 20th, 2007 at 12:46am:
Its had to see how the hammer could hit the firing pin and not lock the block?

In the fired position the back edge of the breech block should be at or near in contact with the adjoining surface of the hammer.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
I looked at two of my Rollers one a 11.7 Danish and the other a #5 Remington in 7mm. The Danish has about .700 of the hammer under the block in the fired position and the 7mm about .600. No way that block is going to open with out something breaking.

IP Logged

Swede

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Hera comes the promised pictures.
It was laying in the scrapbox at the gunsmiths, I took some quick pictures with my cellphone...

The RB is a m/1867 swede modified 1889 to 8x58RD, as you can see the hole for the sliding extractor has been plugged, you can also see the new hole for the c-shaped new extractor.

This one have been rebarreled and chambered for .458"x1,5"

The steel is hardened straight through, and brittle...

I know nothing about the load used in this one, just want to show what can happen, and according to the NORMA guy, there will be no warningsigns before it goes into pieces...

Cant se how this would happen with blackpowder??
Take care and load with common sense!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Wow! That's what I have been looking for. Sure would like to get a piece of that with the fracture surface intact. I have accesses to a lab that does failure analysis.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 7:20am
Print Post  
At first glance, this would appear to be a straight tensile failure due to excessive load, but the rusty mark on the lower part of the block is interesting. This could be indicative of a heat treatment quench crack. In the light of the statement that these RBs were through-hardened, I would look closely at this.
Fred.

IP Logged

PeterM
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I don't know the process that produced that receiver.  At best, it was Bessemer, at worst it was soft cast.   I agree, that rust stain is interesting.  I wonder if the metal had failed some time ago and went unnoticed.  I wonder if a more careful hardening process would have prevented the failure.

Would love to see a complete workup not only of the failure, but of the steel itself.  I would heed Norma's advice.  

Thank you for posting those pictures.

Pete

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint