Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scope Price Trade (Read 4503 times)
Tombstone
Ex Member

Scope Price Trade
Jul 7th, 2007 at 7:55am
Print Post  
A fellow wants to trade even up to me,He has a 3/4 in. Lyman 15 X supertarget, What to trade even up for my Redfied 24 X, 1 in. Is that a good trade, Thanks- Joe

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Re: Scope Price Trade
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 8:35am
Print Post  
It sounds like he should be vary happy with the trade.

If he gave me 250.00 boot, then I would be happy with the trade.

But not really, as you are still stuck with the Lyman.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 9:59am
Print Post  

Tomb

The Lyman STS is a nice scope and very well suited for offhand rifles.  Only negative is Lymans have less eye relief and not as good for larger calibers.

I have owned all types of target scopes except Redfields so cannot say anything about them.

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I will never, by choice, own another Redfield of any description.
JMOFWIW, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 8:41am
Print Post  
If I owned a Redfield, I'd trade for a Lyman in a  heartbeat.  But I own a Lyman, and you would never pawn a Redfield off on me for it - I don't care what the X count is.  Not with out a whole lotta cash.   

But that's just my opinion... Smiley 
Brent

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 10:56am
Print Post  
I hate Redfield hunting scopes! Would never own one again (except for trade).

Now that I have that off my chest, I watched the one of the greatest benchrest shooter of all time , with his eye sight nearly gone, at SUPER SHOOT XXII, shoot a SUPER SHOOT record group in about as bad of conditions I've ever shot a match in (He, over 85 years old at that time). Using a reworked Redfield 3200 scope. I watched the group form with a spotting scope.

I hold no other shooter I know in greater esteem or hold any others opinion higher than the Great firearms inventor Mike Walker.

Let me add that Mr. Walker shot that match with a rifle action he built from scratch, a barrel he made in his basement work shop, the scope he made over in his shop. The bullets he made while he was the superintendent of the Remington custom shop.

This group was shot against the finest equipment that money could buy, and against the leading shooters of the world.

I might add, that there was more than one moist eye at the awards ceremony when Mike received his reward!

But like Brent said, "But that's just my opinion..."  Smiley.   Wink

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 8:08am
Print Post  
I beleve Mike Waller was behind the design of Remingtons target scope too.  I saw one on ebay recently and while I cannot remember what it sold for it was way less than other extenernal adjusters.

On the Redfields.  I have had my eye out for a 3200 just to see what they are all about.

Boats

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 9:20am
Print Post  
A PS article  confirms what you said about the Remington scope.

It surprises me that no book has been written about his life.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
).
Using a reworked Redfield 3200 scope. ........, the scope he made over in his shop.  Wink

Please take careful note of a few KEY words such as 'reworked' and 'made over'. Sounds like a sow's ear to me..............

I don't like Lymans as well as Unertls but if I was unfortunate enough to own them I'd trade 2 Redfields for one STS any day. Now, that's for shooting results; trading is another matter entirely since one man's trash is another man's treasure.

There's bound to be someone out there who just loves Redfields but I haven't found 'em yet.
JMO, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Your right Joe! I've got a friend that thinks the B&L (he calls it the Wombat) is the finest target scope ever made. He has no idea that they are not repairable. Among collectors this is not to high on their list of wants, in fact is right down on the bottom or not there at all.

I don't know of any target scope I own or owned in the past that has not been modified, with the exception of one? 

As far as popular goes I had one of the Nightforce/lightforce (need a forklift model), that sold vary quickly(thank goodness). I could not bring myself to mount it as I knew I would spend to much time trying to figure out what the heck the reticle was trying to tell me. 

I did find one that loves Redfields, he is the proud owner of the 2x7 boob tube I got in a trade. He even told me he just had to find one and had been looking for a long time ( sweet music to these old ears). That sure helped to bring down the price on the rifle I bought for the action.
I just wish somebody like California stocks on their old model 70's and that action would be even cheaper. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint