Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Single Shots used in WWI ? (Read 6148 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

Single Shots used in WWI ?
Jun 30th, 2007 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I'm trying to think of ways to drum up shooters for a "WWI Warhorse Match" I'm holding this November 11... The one basic rule is that rifles must have been used in combat by someone in WWI.  Well, at least be able to make the case that they conceivably could have been with a straight face.

Naturally, most of the ones on my "list" are turn bolts...
However... I know that for one, the Austrian Werndl was used by SOME troops during WWI.  (Probably someplace deep in Austria-Hungary, guarding an outhouse or some such...).

So it has me wondering...
What OTHER Single Shot rifles were used by combatants in WWI ?
I know around that time the Winchester Winder .22 Short was used... though not actually a combat rifle.

Any nation using Rolling Blocks in the Great War?

Curiosity unbound...
Paul F.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Re: Single Shots used in WWI ?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Martini's in MH  and ME were issued to home guard troops.  The MH was was used to bust balloons.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
there might have been some ss used in south america and well as the east african colonial campaigns----especially as issued to the native colonial troops.   Not sure what all were used in the middle eastern campaigns.  maybe I can check some of my sources and figure out a bit more.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Comblains - the Belgian Home guard used Comblains in WWI against the german invader.

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Not exactly what you asked, but I believe that the Australian .310 Cadet rifle was used in the *second* world war.  At least, they manufactured FMJ ammunition for them in anticipation of a Japanese invasion (the .310 lead bullets apparently would have been a violation of the Hague Conventions or some such).

Oh, and don't forget the single shot "Liberator" pistol.

Doug

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I have read that German M1871 Mauser 11mm single-shots were used to good effect in German East Africa, as that was all that they had, they had to capture all the modern arms that they needed-which they proceded to do.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking that the Brits used up a lot of their east indian colonial troops in their disasterous WW I era invasion of what is now Iraq.   I guessing they might have been equipped with Indian frontier singleshots.   MH?   Sniders????

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Well, the Germans did use a single shot turnbolt shoulder fired anti-tank rifle in combat on the Western front.  If you could find one I suppose it would qualify.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Sniders? Sniders RULE!

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Thomas Edward Lawremce wrote (in Revolt In The Desert) about arming the Arab tribesmen to fight against the Turks.  I can recall the delight of getting a Lewis gun and of the Stokes mortar,  but I'll have to re-read to see if there's mention of specific rifles.  I would imagine that since his was a diversionary role (to sap troops from being committed to the war in Egypt where General Allenby was) that the weapons provided were not best and finest, hence likely to be single shots.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 9:14am
Print Post  
In panic at the start of the war, both France and Russia had Remington build rolling blocks for them, chambered for their service cartridges, namely the 8 Lebel and the 7.62x54R. 

I doubt these made it to the front lines. I've read the French distributed them to men well behind the lines, such as guards at various locations. I don't know if the Russian models were delivered before Russia exited the war, but I suspect they did, because examples were reported found in Vietnam in that later war.

Originals in these chamberings are rare, and at least some collectors feel it is not safe to fire service ammo in them.  They were, by far, the chamberings that most stressed the rolling block action.

There were a few .303 Brit models made for Canada well before the war, but I doubt they ever left Canada.

Karl
IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 11:48am
Print Post  
<France and Russia had Remington build rolling blocks for them, chambered for their service cartridges, namely the 8 Lebel and the 7.62x54R.

Oooh... I want one of those Russian Rolling Blocks! (I promise, I'd only fire girly-loads in it! ). Oh well, probably too rich for me anyway... I'm sure any of 'em that exist other collectors are willing to pay more than I am (probably more than my life savings...).

Thanks to everyone for their input!
I hadn't even considered some of those... Like Sniders and Martini's.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint