Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Merits of the .25's (Read 9454 times)
Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: Merits of the .25's
Reply #15 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Brent,
In the old days .25's were made first with 15 inch twist by Maynard. They were made with 14 inch twist by Winchester and early on by Stevens. Then Stevens made 13 inch twist standard. The 12 inch twist was an option on Stevens and was factory standard on Remington Hepburns. There never was a twist as slow as 18" (unless perhaps for .25RF) . Faster twists were used in Hiwalls chambered for .25-35, but these were hunting rifles not target guns. If you have knowledge of the .25 caliber equipment of old you will know that 100 grain bullets were commonly used for target shooting in the little .25's as the many old 100 grain moulds still in existence and literature can testify. 

Ole. Groove,
The Quarter Bore Corps matches are merely unofficial side matches within the Kelley, Schoyen and May matches. 
Why do you want to ruin them?

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Well, ya learn something everyday.  But I do know of an original 18 twist Winchester .25 - or so he says anyway. I haven't measured it personally.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Brent, you have some reading to do. Shut the computer off and get busy!! Grin

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Quarter-Bore-

Relax! Cool Sorry you have taken MY opinion of Q-Bore as though I'm out to "ruin them". The exclusion of some 25 caliber cartridges seemed abit like BPCR rules to me, except for the BP. Also as I said those shooters who have built "25 wildcats" can still shoot ASSRA CF matches including those you mentioned, just not as "quarter bore" as 25 calibers. Undecided Like my ole daddy told me, "If everybody liked the same thing, they would have married your mother". Grin As for me my favorite caliber is the one I'll test next Roll Eyes

This discussion leads me to think that the ASSRA needs to have yet another Class of Caliber with all the recent interest I've been hearing about 22CF's there is also alot of 22WCF's and a few 22-15-60's out there. But then what would be the sense in that when you have 22RF?
Could it be the challange of trying to equal RF accuracy with cast bullet CF? Thats all our Schuetzenmiester needs, more matches to sort out. JMHO! Shocked 

7~

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
the quarter-bore group is simply as subgroup of guys who wanted to shoot the historic 25 cal cartridges and rifles on their own paying field.  While I personally would not have an issue with using a "non-american" appropriately historic quarter bore cartridge I can see their reasoning. 
  It keeps a legal and level playing field for those who choose to play and keeps someone from "gaming the system" with by building a full race bench rifle in a modern quarter bore cartridge.

Its a NON-Assra match, simply a side match being shot by ASSRA members in conjunction with an ASSRA event.   if you want to play you have to choose to play by their rules.

I hope we don't have problems like this with the 22 centerfire match, but who knows, someday if it goes over well we might have to come up with some rules,  but again it is a sidematch, not an official ASSRA match and while subject to the ASSRA range rules we can set out own criteria---in this case the more or less historic 22 centerfire cartridges.  hope no one shows up with a 223 or 222 mag on a modern ss action in a fullblown bench rig, but if they doand it give them a real advantage over  we'll deal with it further down the road

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:27am
Print Post  
greetings all,

the world famous 25 hornet is  American as rasberry pie and shooting. 

to not allow the 25 hornet to take it's rightfull place in the sun as the grandest of all 25 cal. is like kicking a good hunting dog or putting sand in a pope bbl. it just ain't done...

anyone who would even think about banning the great 25 hornet is a little lite in the odds-bodkins dept.. 

so, there are two choices, you can agree with me or you can be wrong.. Smiley

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

KenK
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 9:08am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Jun 27th, 2007 at 8:01pm:
I hope we don't have problems like this with the 22 centerfire match,criteria---

in this case the more or less historic 22 centerfire cartridges.  hope no one shows up with a 223 or 222 mag on a modern ss action in a fullblown bench rig,

You are planning on shooting a Ruger No. 1 in .220 Swift?  Where is the cutoff for "historic" cartridges?  Prewar?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint