Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Winchester 'scope (Read 1634 times)
Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Winchester 'scope
Jun 26th, 2007 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Just aquired an early brass Winchester externally adjusted scope. It looks like it is intended for a .22.
Is anybody familiar with these old scopes? I would like to know how to focus it.
If you slacken the front knurled ring, an internal brass tube holding lenses can be slid out and locked by tightening the ring. Is this the focussing device.
Thanks, Fred.

IP Logged

sluggunner
Ex Member

Re: Winchester 'scope
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I've seen another make scope that adjusted as yours does. Was not aware that Winchester ever marketed one like this. The optical principle involved with focusing a scope is that the nearer the object being viewed the further back in the tube the image is formed. The sliding tube contains the ocular lens, crosshairs and erector lens. Focusing is as you describe by sliding the assembly in or out to bring the erector lens and image into the same plane.
For what it's worth Fecker's adjust by moving the erector while Unertls/Lymans adjust by moving the objective lens, Accomplishes the same thing. Puts the erector and image in the same plane.
                                                 Rich

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: Winchester 'scope
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks Rich. I have sorted the scope: I was pretty sure that it was incorrectly assembled and have corrected this: the sliding portion which is exactly as you describe now stays inside the outer tube and locks when focussed by means of a small brass screw and clamp plate in a slot in the outer tube. This is a very old scope, but most of my rifles are 19th century and I am sure that I can use it on one of them!
Fred.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint