Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting Scope Stand (Read 15766 times)
3sixbits
Ex Member

Re: Spotting Scope Stand
Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
4570sharpshooter wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 7:06pm:
3sixbits, Where in the wide world of sports would such a behemoth be found ???? Inquiring minds would like to know. 45/70sharpshooter

Anybody out there in gun land ever hear of Ansel Adams? The famous photographer? I didn't think so. Anyway, this old boy used large format cameras. They ain't small. He did all of his work out doors and in rough terrain. He had to have a stable, vibration free (as possible) tripod for the big old cameras that shot vary slow film. To make a long story short his favorite tripod was the Tiltall.

A little know fact about the use of spotting scope for sheep hunting is that, some people take two scopes out to the field. One scope and stand for base camp (BIG SCOPE) and big tripod. Then they got that fly weight scope they carry up the mountain (with or without) lite
weight tripod.

So if you need a tripod that takes it, get a Tiltall.  Smiley

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I did forget about the scope's attachment to the maple block.  There is a quick release tripod plate that used a dovetail and excentric lever to wedge it into place.  Flip the lever and the scope is free of the stand.  The plate is attached by another 3/8" bolt to the maple block.   

Yeah, prone and offhand w/o bench pose a problem - but I have my wife's Bogen tripod when I need it.   

Brent

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Pictures professor please. Might as well make it complete disclosure.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Here is the Manfrotto Quck Release Head.  It also has a safety release to prevent accidental release of the plate.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Should be available from any good camera shop or on the web for about $30-35...

Brent

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 7:35am
Print Post  
I see, "it's as if a fog has lifted from mine eye's". Neat!

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Dude, get some sleep.  Smiley

Brent

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Hey, I got my five hours, woke up at 3 am.

You never did tell us how your Borchardt is shooting? What did you chamber to?

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 11:47am
Print Post  
The borchardt shoots spectacularly well and then throws a few into left field.  5/8" at 100 yds for 5 shots and then 5 inches out for the next few.  This is repeatable.   

Can't figure it out yet.

It's a .38-55 breech seated.

Brent

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
It must be a superbly accurate barrel, to be able to shoot that well when adding the pressure of the front support to the barrel. I find it interesting how you fellows use that barrel rest as a barrel tuner to control the barrel whip.

I wonder what would happen to your groups if the barrel was shot at the same temperature for each shot?

I guess with all the time it takes to breech seat a bullet, load the case and close the action then prepare for the next shot, you don't lose the condition from the last shot for the group.

Skill levels I've never had ( I do the machine gun act) I pick a condition with sighters, and then get off five as fast as I can before a switch. 

I'm looking forward to learning new bench skills.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The borchardt shoots spectacularly well and then throws a few into left field.  5/8" at 100 yds for 5 shots and then 5 inches out for the next few.  This is repeatable.  

Can't figure it out yet.

It's a .38-55 breech seated.

Brent

Wipe between shots? If not, might be lube purging. Heck, might be lube purgng anyway, I don't know about you BP guys sometimes.
Just a wild suggestion, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Yup, wiping between every shot.  Tried several different methods to no effect.  It would take a religious conversion to convince me of lube purging.  But thanks for the ideas.  More shooting, more experimenting in order....

Brent

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Al,
I have shot it pretty fast.  I use precharged cases.  But I cannot shoot inside of one condition.  That works okay I suppose if you are shooting silhouette and a hit is a hit.  But when shooting German Ring Targets and needing to shoot in the mid 240s to even think about running with the dogs, you cannot shoot before the conditions change enough to blow y ou into the 220s or worse.  Wind shifts that will cost me two rings come up and down from one second to the next.  A good shooting interval is rarely more than a half a minute long if that.   

The barrel warms up and then stays about the same.  Wiping every shot keeps it from getting real hot and even at my fastest, I'm not exactly rapid fire.   

Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint