Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting Scope Stand (Read 15767 times)
FEB
Ex Member

Spotting Scope Stand
Jun 17th, 2007 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Where I shoot most of the time the benches are behind a "shooting house" - a building with 2' by 2' openings through which to shoot.  That restricts where you can put a spotting scope.  I shoot right handed and don't have enough room for a small tripod on the left.    A clamp-on stand would look at the wall.  If I put a small tripod on the right, I have to stand up to use it.  I end up using a regular tripod set behind the bench.

Does anybody have experience with this stand?  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Other ideas?

FEB

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Spotting Scope Stand
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
FEB, that item, being from the realm of "modern" benchrest, is new to me at least.  It looks like a real slick solution to your (and a lot of our) problems.  I may have missed it in my quick read through, but how is the base plate secured to the table?  Am I right in assuming that there would be some sort of C-clamp to hold it down?  Otherwise that long arm would be WAAAAY overbalanced with a scope hanging down.  I like the concept and would be very curious to know how it does for you.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
WOW, that's the neatest thing since sliced bread! I'm gonna make one up tomorrow, got most of the pieces lying around somewhere here. I'm in the process of converting a small travel trailer into a shooting house, this is just what I need!
Thanks, Joe

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Travel trailer shooting house? I think that's a great idea. Had thought of it before and think a guy would want to be able to use some RV jacks to isolate it from the springs and tires.

I sure would want to use some of the space for a loading bench.

As to that scope stand, I've seen several in use here, and they were in use, un-clamped.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Joe, 
You better have a light scope and no breeze.  That won't hold a Kowa 82x

After seeing just about every type of scope stand out there, I made my own and much prefer it.  Rigidity is everything, and that has none.

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I cain't afford no big ole Kowas, have merely a small Leupold. I can see the base being made from a steel or lead block and having enough rigidity for my purposes. No wind of course, that's the whole idea of the travel trailer, to isolate the shooter from the ambient conditions as much as possible.

Don't forget that our ambient conditions here in The Deep South are, all too often, an uncomfortably high temperature accompanied by an even more uncomfortably high humidity. The main idea of the shooting house is to enable the use of an air conditioner, desirable in these latitudes for at least nine months out of the year.

The trailer of course is equipped with the usual jacks at each corner that provide enough rigidity for shooting anything short of a 50 Ma Deuce. But it's mighty small inside and by the time I add my reloading stuff it'll be cramped enough so that I'll appreciate the compactness and sheer usabillty of the pictured scope stand, also the fact that the whole outfit is easily stowed away when not shooting.
Thanks much, Joe

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I went back and looked at the scope stand again and have a comment & concern. The vertical arm enters the base approximately in the middle and so Brent's concern is very valid, the CG is all wrong and the cantilever effect is largely lost. The vertical arm should enter the base at the extreme outboard end and the long axis of the base should extend back toward the rifle. This simple change will make the design much more stable and usable.
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:58am
Print Post  
What Joe just said.  In fact, what (ahem) Froggie said earlier.  Wink

The concept shows a lot of promise but there MUST be some provision for making it secure to the table or the whole thing becomes a broken scope waiting to be touched off.  I LIKE the concept, I just need to know how it will provide for the safety and stability of the scope.  Undecided  Remember, a shaky scope is just a useless tube full of (potentially broken) glass.  Roll Eyes

More info please!

Froggie

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:00am
Print Post  
So far I haven't found any bench mounted scope stand that I like as well or better than the current Sinclair.  I have had to deal with the weight and leverage issue in the past, and I agree that a heavy scope presents a special challenge.  As Brent lives just up the road in the next burg from here, I really need to get a peek at his latest invention.  On a related note, I don't know how the h-ll anyone can use an angled scope while shooting from a bench.  I have tried it from benches at four different ranges, and always end up with a stiff neck from the unnatural twisting.  The problem, in brief, is that an angled scope has to be mounted too far back, and the 45 degree eyepiece is too sharp an angle.  YMMV.

Paul

IP Logged

4570sharpshooter

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Brent, I have used three scope stands for my 82mm. Kowa. I have the Champions choice..... waves with the wind, the Jim Owens stand aka jarhead stand...... a little finicky, and a Bogen camera stand....built hell for stout , but the movable mount is worth the agravation. So now I have options when I shoot . The Champions choice stand works well when shooting prone, but that about it's strongpoint. All the above statements are just in my humble opinion....and you know what they say about opinions.... Roll Eyes Thanks,45/70sharpshooter

Keep yer eye on the target son.....

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Feb

I use the same little leopold thats shown in the Stand photo.  It mounts very well on a normal positon shooters spotting scope stand with tripod screw mount. Mine is from Champions choice. It has the advantage of being able to be used offhand prone or from a bench. It has a removable weight as well as spike for dirt positions. Other people make them too. Some times Neal Johnson at Gunsmithing has them used on his web site.

I can't see how the traditonal design can be improved much. The one in the photo may be fine but hundreds if not thousands of positon shooters can't be too wrong.

Boats

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Here goes nothing boys. I have several scope stands and Brent's old one on the way. If you want a stand that will stand up to 40 to 50 mph winds with a scope like my Kowa 82 then get a TILTON. If you wan one that stands up to the light brezzes of 20 to 30 mph then get the one from OK WEBER. Hey my first scope stand I built in 1966 is still with me and gets use. It just takes a lath to build one and a welding out fit, it has a FREELAND head that I bought from the late great AL FREELAND at Camp Perry in 1967. All these and more have there place.

Now if Brent has come up with something better, that works for every situation then I got to have one also.

If you guys think that one stand will work for every situation, this I've got to see. Shocked

IP Logged

4570sharpshooter

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
3sixbits, Where in the wide world of sports would such a behemoth be found ???? Inquiring minds would like to know. 45/70sharpshooter

Keep yer eye on the target son.....

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Well, funny you should bring that up Al.  This is the Almost Perfect Scope Stand for Bench and Offhand Shooting.  It would have been perfect except that the router gave me some backtalk.

The stand is made of cherry, with a solid sugar maple rifle rest on the right hand side for offhand and another block of the same for the scope attachment.  The foot piece is Baltic birch ply with t-nuts and thumbscrews for compensating for any unevenness in the bench's edge.   The clamp is a 4" quick-release Bessey C-clamp that does about a 1000% better job than a pipe clamp.  The rigidity comes from a really secure foothold on the bench and the rigidity of the triangular T-beam design.  

As an added benefit, it has a very small footprint on the bench top - maybe 3.5x5.5" or less. 

The scope and rifle rest attachments can be moved up and down to any position, and even swapped to the other side.  They are held on with 3/8" bolts and big knobs.  Additional attachments for powder measures, drop tubes, and hat racks are easily added as needed.

The pictures are massive and I don't have any sizing software on this machine so I have just posted urls.  Please be patient  - they will come up.

By the by, that's my new Borchardt in the process of being birthed.  It's coming along slowly.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
My hats off to you Brent! That is a winner. I like the fact that you did something I never saw or would have thought of. It ain't just deer your smart about. OK I get everything except what the scope mount looks like, the part that holds or screws to the scope. 

Your pictures come out perfect, no trouble with the load.

What will you do for prone? On the ground? Offhand without a bench close by?

I likes it!  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint