Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Optimum Barrel Time (Read 12496 times)
J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Optimum Barrel Time
Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Minimum taper, thicker diameter and shorter length all add up to less whip movement at the muzzle which will make load development a lot easier in the absence of a tuner, by varying the load to optimize barrel time and thus bullet exit time. A tuner allows the whip to be adjusted to the particular barrel time of that particular load in that particular barrel, to ensure bullet exit at one end or the other of the whip cycle. Both methods work, one by adjusting the barrel time (via the load) to coincide with the whip cycle and the other by adjusting the timing of the whip cycle (via the tuner) to coincide with the load's barrel time.

Both methods will lead to better accuracy by ensuring that the bullet exits the muzzle at either one end or the other of the whip cycle, when the muzzle is 'dwelling' for a moment as it first slows, then stops, and then finally reverses its whip movement.

Which method is better? I believe it will vary by the particular barrel and chambering, and I further believe that no mathematical formula will ever be developed that will accurately and reliably predict anything for more than one barrel or one type of barrel at a time.

Reason? There are far too many variables in the manufacture and fitting of rifle barrels for anyone to be able to make an accurate prediction of their exact movements. A few variables: installation torque, thread fit, type of action, type of breeching, exact chambering, throat shape, fit of forearm, perpendicularity of breechblock face, mating of barrel shoulder with receiver face, action of cutters and/or buttoning heads when forming the barrel's bore and rifling, the particular batch of steel from which the barrel was made, anything attached to the barrel such as scope mounts or similar, etc etc ad infinitum.
Very interesting, JMO, regards, Joe

IP Logged

oldbluelight
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
FWIW Just a few more variables to throw into the mix. Vibrations will begin in the rifle as the sear moves, more vibrations when the energy of the mainspring is released, more when hammer strikes the firing pin, more when the firing pin strikes the primer, more when the case rim or shoulder makes firm contact with the chamber, more when the primer ignites, more when the powder ignites,more when the primer cup slams into the breech face, more when the case wall makes contact with the chamber, more when the bullet breaks the grip of the case neck, more when the bullet moves into and/or in the rifling (that -even with lubrication- should be similar to a bow drawn over a violin string). Which of these vibrations are capable of energizing the entire barrel? Does propellant ignition trump all others? Do they all travel through steel at the same velocity? Whew! I'm sure glad we don't have to figure all this out to make it work.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 4:17am
Print Post  
The kind of barrel vibration you guys are talking about is not the kind of barrel vibration C. Long is talking about, and using to forecast. He's talking about a stress wave moving from chamber to muzzle and bouncing back and forth.
The first 3 loads checked showed one on the money and two close. We need more loads.
joe brennan

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
To a man the reply has been, minimum taper, thicker dia and shorter length. [/quote]

It is interesting to note that Bill Calfee does not agree with this with respect to .22 barrels and he is definitely a person to be respected in the .22 benchrest world.  Thin barrels plus tuners win out as far as he is concerned.

Brent
[/quote]

I would, in no way dispute that Mr. Calfee is the KING of benchrest rimfire gunsmiths. What I don't see is how a tuner would do much for a short thick barrel. Tuners are not a new idea are they folks?

The barrels I've had in my life that threw down the occasional "O" group have not been long whippy, thin barrels. 

Nor have they been fluted. In fact they have always been (the few) .224 center fire barrels. Only one that came close that was not a .224 was a .243. None in .308 came close.

When I used to buy 12 barrels a year to get ready for benchrest season, I figured I had about one chance in 12 of getting a great barrel. For the truly great hummer barrel, one chance in say 36 was closer to the truth.

I would sure like to have the contact information for Ron Smith. I would like to be able to say, (before I leave this mortal coil) that I had a cut rifled barrel that really shot. Cry 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint