Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Optimum Barrel Time (Read 12493 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Optimum Barrel Time
Jun 12th, 2007 at 7:42am
Print Post  

"drinks" on the Cast Boolits forum referred me to (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and Christopher Long's "Acoustic Shock Waves and the Optimal Barrel Time loading concept!"
I printed the 17 page paper and have read it maybe a dozen times. While I'm still unclear on some of it, this paper presents a predictive model for a set of accuracy zones determined by the optimum barrel times.
If we select one of the array of optmum barrel times corresponding to a node, then fiddle with Quickload to select a load with that barrel time, then that load (or one very close) should be a local accuracy maximum.
Christopher Long's model was derived, if I understand the paper, using relatively high speed jacketed bullets and close-to-full cases of powder.
In all I have read about barrel vibrations and harmonics and nodes (much, I suspect, due to that picture of the vibrating barrel in the Lyman handbook), this is the first predictive model I can remember. 
Now, does it work for cast bullets?
To find out, we can approach this thing from the other end. If we list a lot of accurate loads and their associated information, then we can plug that information into Quickload and find the barrel time for each load. We can then compare that barrel time with the array of optimum barrel time nodes, and see if the two barrel times match or are related.
So, will some of you send me your most accurate loads and info?   
Here's what I think is needed:

Barrel length (inches, bolt/breech block to muzzle)
Cartridge (Ex: 308 Win.)
Bullet  (Ex: Lyman 311041)
Bullet weight  (grains)
Bullet length  (inches)
Powder  (Ex: Unique)
Charge  (grains)
OAL  (cartridge overall length, inches)

Please send them here or to joeb33050@yahoo.com

Then I'll find some folks with Quickload to figure the barrel time, and compare the numbers to the numbers on the spreadsheet that I made. (I'll be happy to send the EXCEL spreadsheet to anyone who wants it.)

Maybe this will give us a method of predicting and finding accurate loads much faster and less expensively.

Thanks;
joe brennan 

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: Optimum Barrel Time
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Id be interested in seeing a picture of that vibrating barrel in Lyman's book.  I don't have the book myself - anyone have a copy of the picture they can post?
Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Joe

It's a theory I don't believe

Boats

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Here it is. There are many guys who seem to know who say that the natural frequency of rifle barrels is 500-1000 cps (Hz today), hence the bullet is out of the barrel long before any node. I certainly don't know.
joe brennan

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jun 12th, 2007 at 11:58am:
Joe

It's a theory I don't believe

Boats

I read it and the associated links stuff. There seems to be some/a lot of support in the jacketed bullet world. 
It seems to be worth testing.
It's (for me) very hard to read and understand. 
What makes it hard to believe?
By the way, the picture is PP 98 and 99 of Lyman's 47th. 
joe brennan

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the photo.  It wasn't the one I was hoping for.  I have seen a paper on the resonance patterns of tubes with one end fixed. There is a common nodal point in there somewhere that I would like to know about, but not for these purposes so much as for sighting the location of the muzzle rest.

I've seen such a picture somewhere, but this isn't it.

Brent

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
This seems similar to the theory supporting the ladder method for developing loads  -FWIW, IME that one does seem to work...  The originator was some german scientist some time before WWI.  An article on it here:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
The old British SMLE .303 rifle was known to have "positive compensation". The barrel vibrations were such that the upward flip of the barrel as the bullet exited the muzzle compensated for variations in muzzle velocity. As a result, the later number 4 rifle was used at the shorter ranges in target comps, but many shooters reverted to the number 1 SMLE at ranges over 600 yds. There were many papers published on this subject and it is a fact that velocity can be tuned to barrel vibrations to optimised accuracy. Just don't ask me how to do it!
Fred.

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
For your reading pleasure, enjoy. [url]  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) [/url]  Wink

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
There is no doubt light barrels flex and if held at one point or another the impact will change.  Anyone who has shot much prone with a tight sling can tell you that.

However the theory that holding the barrel at one point or another or there is a leingth that is better than another is what I think is an often repeated myth.  As long as the flex and recoil is consistent shot to shot it's praticatly unimportant.  It's the recoil, the way the rifle jumps off a bag or hold when fired that leads people down a false path that something more is working.

Or so I say

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jun 12th, 2007 at 3:56pm:
There is no doubt light barrels flex and if held at one point or another the impact will change.  Anyone who has shot much prone with a tight sling can tell you that.

While I don't doubt that they flex - I don't see how prone or sling shooting can prove anything about the fact that they flex.

Quote:
However the theory that holding the barrel at one point or another or there is a leingth that is better than another is what I think is an often repeated myth.

Maybe - maybe not.  I will say that I consistently need 2-4 MOA of elevation if I move the front rest from the forearm to just back of the muzzle.  Flex seems to be a good explanation (as opposed to vibration).   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Wasn't this the theory for Browning's adjustable muzzle brake on their bolt action rifles? Seems to me they advertised it as a way to tune the barrel to get more accuracy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I'm reminded of the test Old Harold McFarland wrote about many years ago to show how vibration effected a barrel.

He placed a barreled action in a vise and laid lead wires across the barrel in four equal divided places. He then wacked the receiver in the vise with a leather mallet. 

The effect was interesting to note how the wires moved into different positions.

As I recall, this is what he referred to (the position of the wires) as the nodes.

I don't pretend to know the answers to questions about barrel harmonics, but I do know the answers I've gotten when I've asked every top flight barrel maker in the country, about what taper and length gives the best accuracy. To a man the reply has been, minimum taper, thicker dia and shorter length.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 6:09am
Print Post  
3sixbits -

THANKS!  I'd heard of that before but forgotten.  That is the low-tech method of determing the nodes of the natural resonance of a clamped barrel!

Which is to say one could use the same technique when adding or moving a barrel weight.  Of course there would be load development to adjust the timing of the bullet exit to coincide, but that at least would pretune to a natural resonant point.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Quote:

I don't pretend to know the answers to questions about barrel harmonics, but I do know the answers I've gotten when I've asked every top flight barrel maker in the country, about what taper and length gives the best accuracy. To a man the reply has been, minimum taper, thicker dia and shorter length.

It is interesting to note that Bill Calfee does not agree with this with respect to .22 barrels and he is definitely a person to be respected in the .22 benchrest world.  Thin barrels plus tuners win out as far as he is concerned.

Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint