Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) winchester hiwall 20 guage (Read 5852 times)
win92
Ex Member

winchester hiwall 20 guage
May 31st, 2007 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Recently acquired a hiwall in 20 guage.  Does anyone have any idea how many were made.  Can't find any production figures in any of my Winchester books.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: winchester hiwall 20 guage
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2007 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum!
Because of it's very late introduction into Winchester's lineup, the number of shotguns made is impossible to know. It didn't appear in the catalogs until around 1911 I believe. Not long after that period the records are nonexistent.
Campbell's book states that they are not all that rare, but I don't remember ever seeing one for sale myself.-Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

win92
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2007 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Vall.  My books show that most of them carry the SN-110,00 to 115,000.  Mine is 114XXX and made in 1919.  I don't believe i have ever seen one before either although I knew they were made.  I doubt if there were more than a couple thousand produced if that.   

Len

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 8:21am
Print Post  
From my reading, it appears that they were all HIGH-walls rather than low, so a fair shotgun would begin to look like a very available basis for a custom varmint rifle...my personal explanation of why we don't see a lot of them.  Undecided  I even had a take-down barrel in 20 ga at one time.   Cool

One important consideration is that the receiver had to be altered so that the larger diameter of the 20 ga case could be loaded;  the "channel" above the block had to be reamed a little bit larger.  I didn't have a receiver with that feature, so I regretfully let my barrel go.  Embarrassed

Froggie

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I think I saw one on one of the vendors tables at the last OCGA show, but  maybe its just another BF.
DWS

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I have seen them at Shows in Australia along with lots of low walls all in very rough condition.

I suspect a lot of them were exported to use up surplus actions at the end of there commercial life in the US

Boats

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Hello Fellows,

Please allow me to clear up a number of misconceptions concerning this topic.

As some of you know, I have conducted a lot of research on the Model 1885 for the reference book that I am slowly writing. To that end, I can positively state the following;

1. Winchester cataloged the high-wall shotgun in the years 1914 - 1916 only.

2. The serial number range that they were manufactured in is very tight, with all guns appearing in the 113,700 - 114, 900 range (with the exception of just one gun that is in the 111,500 range).

3. I have personally had my hands on nearly (30) of them, I own one, and I have the statistical information on a total of (33) of them.

4. They were offered as both a solid frame and a Takedown, with the Takedown being the more common... (22) of the (33) I have in my database are takedowns.

5. Every single one of them was made in 1914. (Madis' serial number listing for the Model 1885 is grossly inaccurate Sad)

6. They were all made with a 26" nickle steel barrel, Full choke, and a 3-inch chamber. Modified and Cylinder bore choke was offered as a no cost special order option (I have not yet found one in either of those chokes).

7. The top of the frame ring (and Takedown extension ring) was always matted (an easy clue when trying to determine if one is factory original).

8. The loading channel behind the breech block was made larger to accommodate the large diameter of the 20 gauge rim.

As far as how many were made, my best guess is that Winchester manufactured about (600) of them. A fair number of them were indeed shipped to Australia (roughly 50% of the total production).

To Win92,

I would very much like to have the statisical details on your new (old) high-wall shotgun for my research data base.

Bert

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Bert.

If half were shiped to Austraila or about 300 I would bet not a dozen remain.

All I saw were working shotguns and in poor conditon. At shows they were inexpensive as were low walls in small calibers. When the Aussies had there gun buy-out the goverment paid high dollar for guns to scrap. If not sold they had to re-apply for a shooters license with high barrers to approval. I thought about bringing my well worn model 12 down there to make a few bucks turning it in. As I recall it would have brought 800 bucks. Single shots were bringing about 500 dollars, again from memory.

My speculation is any low or high wall that was owned by someone who could not qualify for the new shooters license or did not want the gun went for scrap.

Boats

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 10:38am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jun 4th, 2007 at 8:51am:
Bert.

If half were shiped to Austraila or about 300 I would bet not a dozen remain.

All I saw were working shotguns and in poor conditon. At shows they were inexpensive as were low walls in small calibers. When the Aussies had there gun buy-out the goverment paid high dollar for guns to scrap. If not sold they had to re-apply for a shooters license with high barrers to approval. I thought about bringing my well worn model 12 down there to make a few bucks turning it in. As I recall it would have brought 800 bucks. Single shots were bringing about 500 dollars, again from memory.

My speculation is any low or high wall that was owned by someone who could not qualify for the new shooters license or did not want the gun went for scrap.

Boats

You would lose that bet... in just the past six years, I have located a fair number of decent old Winchester Model 1885 singles shots (including a number of the high-wall shotguns) in Australia. I have made contact with a good number of Winchester collectors in various parts of Australia (three of which are diehard Model 1885 collectors, all of which are now personal acquaintances), and I have even purchased a few Model 1885s from A.A.A.A.  Just last year (May 2006), I rescued/repatriated a very nice high-wall in 50-95 W.C.F. from Australia... go to this link for pictures - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Also, take note that I have a solid frame high-wall shotgun pictured in that link... which I also got out of Australia Cool.

Bert
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:54pm by Bert_H. »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Bert you could be right and I hope so.  When there gun laws changed you had to have a "legamite" reason to keep a firearms Lic.  Collecting was one, there are hoops to jump through like collectors club membership and attending meetings etc.

However there was a big push even among collectors to thin out stock both on the high end since they had little confidence the laws were not going to be tighened up in the future or the low end as demand was drying up for ordanary firearms. The average guy that would buy at shows no longere was allowed to do so.  Further payment from the goverment was high market value with no regard for conditon which made "trading stock" rifles attractive to turn in.

My Club even gave me my Anchutz smallbore prone rifle as they could not keep the number of smallbore rifles they had as club rifles. There was a ratio of members to rifles allowed and they were over the limit. The offered me any Martini I wanted too.  America aquantiance of mine also working down under bought nearly a Hundered Winchester lever actions at good prices.

I guess there is no way to see who would win a bet but I still maintain the rough conditon High walls were turned in many/most cases.

Boats

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:06pm:
Bert you could be right and I hope so.  When there gun laws changed you had to have a "legamite" reason to keep a firearms Lic.  Collecting was one, there are hoops to jump through like collectors club membership and attending meetings etc.

However there was a big push even among collectors to thin out stock both on the high end since they had little confidence the laws were not going to be tighened up in the future or the low end as demand was drying up for ordanary firearms. The average guy that would buy at shows no longere was allowed to do so.  Further payment from the goverment was high market value with no regard for conditon which made "trading stock" rifles attractive to turn in.

My Club even gave me my Anchutz smallbore prone rifle as they could not keep the number of smallbore rifles they had as club rifles. There was a ratio of members to rifles allowed and they were over the limit. The offered me any Martini I wanted too.  America aquantiance of mine also working down under bought nearly a Hundered Winchester lever actions at good prices.

I guess there is no way to see who would win a bet but I still maintain the rough conditon High walls were turned in many/most cases.

Boats

It is a topic that I should research a bit more, and thankfully with the contacts I have that are stretched out all over Australia, I should be able to come up with a reasonable conclusion. 

I frequently check what A.A.A.A. has to offer - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and I have bought two high-walls from them thus far.

Bert

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint