Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Record Set at Spring Match (Read 12474 times)
Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

New Record Set at Spring Match
Jun 1st, 2007 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
It should be noted that Corky Taylor's 245-5c score in the 22RF Bench match
breaks the old record of 244-4c set by Dan Tynor in 2001.
Congratulations Corky!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: New Record Set at Spring Match
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Is that a range record or an ASSRA record?  I'm curious about records and who keeps them and how they are qualified.  Does a "record" have to be shot at EG to qualify?

Brent

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Etna Green record have to be shoot at Etna Green Beeson range Wink
ASSRA record can be shot anywere as long as ASSRA rules and targets are used!! Shocked

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Jim,

Does the record score have to be shot by a member also, at a associated club?

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Well Jim, that was what I was asking.  Nowhere did it say it was an EG record - only that it had been shot there.   

So, what is the ASSRA record for .22 bench at 200 yds?   

I would be interested to know the answers to Asst's questions too.  While a 245 is a darn fine target, I'm surprised it is a record even for just EG.   

Brent

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 8:18am
Print Post  
This is from the Single Shot Journal published scores.
The earliest records of the match seems to be the Fall Shoot of 1993 reported in the Jan Feb 1994 issue
Barry Burke 243-5c
This was tied a couple of times.

The real record is from the Nov Dec 1999 issue, Fall Match

Jim McDermott  245-6c
George Taylor   245-6c

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 8:31am
Print Post  
These are EG records or ASSRA records?  I have seen those scores matched or beaten every year, thus my question.

Brent

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 8:37am
Print Post  
My apologies to everyone; I stand corrected Embarrassed 

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Brent. 
EG is a tough range to shoot, we are located on a transition band between the Lake effect weather and the prairie weather to the south.  there is almost always wind conditions and they are usually very erratic. Wind skills are at a permium.  I don't have personal experience on other ASSRA affiliated club ranges; but I've been told by some of the EG regulars who also shoot on other ranges that "If you can shoot well at EG you can shoot well anywhere"

This Spring shoot was plagued with days of erratic 6 o'clock tailwinds and than days of 12 o'clock head winds.  there were very little periods of any kind of steady conditions.   It was an especially tough weekend for the 22rf shooters.  there is only the one single entry target match during the regular centerfire matches (plus the 50 yd offhand).
Under the prevailing conditions Corky's score was amazing.  I would not have expected anyone to break a 240.  I know I sure didn't.

Regarding records:  This is strictly JMHO!

the ASSRA Record List Schuetzenmeister Borton has posted here and in the Journal reflects the records available for the ASSRA "home range" at Etna Green.  I believe it is basically the list that he has maintained since he has been the Schuetzenmeister.  The ASSRA archives and older Journals have carried other record lists from previous times and from the era before ASSRA began shooting on the Beeson range at Etna Green.

While it would indeed be nice to have some sort of record list that included all of the various ASSRA affiliated club ranges; I for one think it is unlikely to happen.  It gets discussed every so often but unlike the NRA and other shooting organizations the ASSRA is a fairly loose affiliation of shooters who are scattered around the country in small groups.   About the biggest commonality, other than our affinity for single shot rifles of course, is that we shoot on a uniform set of targets in a manner patterned loosely on the historic schuetzen matches of old.   As Jim stated, if another affiliated club has a "record" fired on the Standard ASSRA targets and under ASSRA rules they can be submitted and included.

However it seldom happens.  It may but I am not aware of any.   Our organizations are too loose and informal.  We have a hard time just getting scores and schedules from affiliated clubs let alone record documentation. A few clubs report regularly and in good form, others report on a very spordic basis.  some clubs shoot on a regular monthly basis others only are able to hold an ASSRA match once or twice a year. When I started asking for info on "250s" in the Journal I got a very few responses from individual members who had shot one and preserved it themselves as a personal record-----nothing from the affiliated clubs as such.  Under those conditions maintaining club records and submitting them seems very unlikely.

One reason may be that individual clubs shoot varying courses of fire on the standard targets.  At EG they are named matches,  hudson, may, kelly, schoyen, etc etc.  other clubs may shoot similar matches but with different names, or with slightly different criteria, but still on regular ASSRA targets. Some clubs have other longstanding traditional matches of their own that are not shot at EG.  Then too there is the problem of distance,  not all ranges allow clubs to shoot at 200 yards.  Clubs that don't own their own ranges face additional problems in securing and preserving records

I have often thought that there should be some way of coming up with a more unified list of records just like there could/should be a way of standardizing and training schuetzenmeisters so that scoring methods and range procedures are all the same.
But I doubt it'll happen,  time, distance, gas prices, and age along with human nature will keep our affiliation a loose one.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Was this score shot at 200 yards?

fred

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
now this is from memory and mine is starting to go but I thought that there was a 246-7c shot there by a gentleman that was from Washington state but was working in KY and came up and shot at a couple of our matches - also as I recall it was a Ballard rifle with a RKS gain twist bbl.
But as I stated earlier my memory doesn't always serve me well anymore.  How can I remember all these details and not remember someones name?  Respectfully - the rimfire - cdpersons
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2007 at 4:52pm by »  

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Here are the top three target scores from the Pine Ridge Rifle Club matches over the last several years just for comparison

Jack Kessler 245 -6c
me 245-5c (twice)

Dan Merklin 247-7c, 246-6c
Me 247-6c

Dan Merklin 244-5c, 243-4c, 242-4c

Dan Merklin 246-7c, 246-7c, 243-6c

These are all shot on ASSRA targets at 200 yds in our annual matches.

Folks that have shot a lot of different ranges seem to think our's is a tricky range too.  It has a lot of turbulence due to the lay out of the berms and a bluff.  But I have not so many places to say whether it is easier or harder than other places.  For my money Cody Wyoming is easily the toughest place I've ever shot.   

Brent

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Cool!  I was a celebrity for about a day!

Records are nice but so is a good score on a single entry target.  I was much more concerned with keeping them in the 24 ring rather than how many went in the 25.  (I was having difficulty seeing the holes.)

The rifle and load are capable of a 250.  Guess I better start paying more attention.

Corky

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
<<<<now this is from memory and mine is starting to go but I thought that there was a 246-7c shot there by a gentleman the was from Washington state Respectfully - the rimfire - cdpersons>>>>>>
Charley your making me tired.  Does this mean I have to dig all that stuff out again?  Can you narrow the year down?
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I did not find a 246-7c but I did find fnind another tie score of 245-6c. This does not mean that there is not a 246-7c, just that I did not find it in the Journal.  Maybe my search was not as good as it could have been.

Therefore, as far as I can tell the Real Real record and ties should be: 

Nov Dec 1999 issue, Fall Match

Jim McDermott  245-6c
George Taylor   245-6c 

May June 2005 issue Spring Match

Dan Tynor  245-6c

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint