Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) iron sight set up for red 25 ring 200 yd target (Read 19278 times)
3sixbits
Ex Member

Re: iron sight set up for red 25 ring 200 yd targe
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2007 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Before you jump through a bunch of hoops, you might want to read this article. It's cheap and might work for you? (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 16th, 2007 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
That will work but there are a few problems. One it is you are stuck with one size fits all which you can do by changing the size of your rear fixed aprature. If the light is bright one day and cloudy the next you are not going to be getting the same benifit. The other is head position and alignment of the tape hole and sights. I think you will be moving your head all over the place. Plus glasses ussally are not great when shooting because you look through close to the frames which is the worst part of the glass. I have something like this for pistol and it works great, but for rifle I am a little sceptical.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 16th, 2007 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I've used the pinhole aperture on my glasses for many years, with a Hadley-style variable aperture on a rotating disc. Works well for both rifle and pistol, for me. Takes a little care in positioning the attachment, but the increased visual acuity and apparent flattening of the focal plane is noticeable. For a higher-quality truly variable pinhole aperture, Merit makes an iris-type adjustable aperture with a suction cup for the glasses. A pin-hole aperture close to the eye has long been a holistic remedy for nearsightedness/myopia.

I agree with Boats about bigger (aperture) is usually better, especially for long strings where shooter's eye fatigue becomes a major factor.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 17th, 2007 at 6:03am
Print Post  
The Merit eyglass arputure works very well.  I use on when shooting my Trapdoor in matches. Under the rules you can't alter the sights and have to use the Arsenal Blade front sight.

It's not as good as a proper set of match sights with adjustable arputures front and rear.

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2007 at 6:59am
Print Post  
boats wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 9:49pm:
Jerry

It's not important for the bullseye to be sharp. It does have to be in the center.  The way to go is to have large arpitures F & R allowing plenty of brightness, Sharp is overrated. It's just not required for good iron sight scores.

Boats

RIGHT ON!  When I was a kid my dad took me to a .22 match held at the college where he taught (put on by AFROTC).  We used Remmington 514T's with peep sights front and rear.  Even though I forgot my glasses (20:400) the officer said to just center that blur of a target in the blur of the front sight in the blur of the rear sight.  I won a turkey!  (Frozen of course)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

aross007
Participating Member

Reply #20 - May 18th, 2007 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Cat,

At the ROTC turkey shoot I was at years ago, we shot one five bull target normal, and one target that we turned backwards - I shot a better score (and won a turkey) on the one where I couldn't see the bullseyes - just hung it the same, and concentrated on sight alignment.

Alan

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #21 - May 18th, 2007 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Alan, that is an old target shooter's trick, and its purpose was to reveal exactly what you were concentrating upon, that is, sight alignment (with each other) and trigger squeeze. An experienced coach can tell, by the shape and position of the resulting group, where and how the shooter needs to correct his technique. I personally am not any kind of a coach but was fortunate enough to have had a good one in college, and saw him correct many flaws of mine and my fellow teammates merely by analyzing groups fired in this way. It works.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

JerryW
Participating Member

Reply #22 - May 18th, 2007 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Thank's for all the different views. I had a good test day at Modesto yesterday and found 2 options that worked well for me. JerryW

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #23 - May 18th, 2007 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
And they are?????  Huh

IP Logged

JerryW
Participating Member

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2007 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
A diopter front, iris rear, diopter rear were the two best looking note I say looking need range time. lso a merit rear with my olymoic front with different sized plastic circles needs more tests. Thank you all again. JerryW

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2007 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
For a front aperture I normally prefer a tinted plastic insert, like the ones that come in the selection with a new Lyman 17A, with the hole reamed out further, but these aren't legal in some matches. Managed to find a card with larger metal apertures, made by Ron Long as I recall, that were a big improvement over the Lyman steel apertures, but I still like the plastic ones better. The Ron Long aperture card contained at least two that were larger than the largest Lyman ones, and that was what I needed.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint