Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Eley Sport (Read 5417 times)
hst
Oldtimer

Eley Sport
May 18th, 2007 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Gentlemens:

Has any of you tried Eley Sport .22 ammo? Is it good enough for offhand practice?  I have been using Wolf but this is priced in a kinder, gentler manner.

Glenn

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Re: Eley Sport
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2007 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Several years ago I ordered several boxes (4 I believe) of all the Eley ammo as well as ammo from other manufacturers. My intent was to find the type my Martini 12/15 liked the best. Probably due to my shooting abilities I could find very little difference in any of it. I was shooting from a rest and wouldn't hesitate to to use Sport offhand. Just my opinion though.

Bill

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2007 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
On two of my rimfires I have  always alternated between Match and pratice Ely. Another rifle match and pratice Federal. I like the same lube & brand so when switching I don't have to worry about the barrel settling down to something new. Plus I don't clean them all that well, mostly just wipe down.

The difference and what you have to think about is Flyers and can you afford them.  Pratice offhand at 50 yards if you spot every shot you will have a good idea of were the strike should be, If not there it's important to find out why and not having to worry about the ammo as a cause is good but expensive.  I only use pratice grade for pratice and don't think it hurts me at all. I do get mystery strikes probably due to positon or trigger pull.

Record in a match is another story and again the key is how many flyers you can afford. If re-entry it's not important since you are going to throw away any bad targets whatever the cause.  You may or may not be able to afford Flyers in a 100 shot Hudson match depending on your level. I make a deifinate number of mistakes or flyer shots in the Hudson that are not ammo caused and don't want any more so always use the expensive match stuff.  And I only shoot a couple of rimfire matches a year so total cost is not important.

I have told this story before so won't repeat the whole thing. But trying  to jump my smallbore prone classification in the English 50 meter match from 4th level to 2nd I  shot 100 + plus 20 shot matches in a year. Qualification was the best 10 matches or 200 shots record out of 2000 fired. I could have shot 150 matches if I wanted too.  Sort of re-entry at match level. I was able to reach my goal and jump over one classification by 3 points at the end of the season.  I used only the best Ely Tenex and no doubt would have not made the cut if any flyers were present in the final scores It was worth it.

Boats

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I tried Eley Sport and found it to be on par with most US mfg standard velocity stuff. Not a high level of accuracy, but reasonable given it's less than $20 / brick pricing. What I did notice was that it was very much harder to chamber and some of my guns refused to close on the ammo. Especially the BSA's. If my guns would have easily chamber it, I would have given it more thought. Maybe it was a lot thing, cannot say as after the first batch hit the area I have not seen it since.

IP Logged

FEB
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I have been trying various brands of 22 lr in a Cody Ballard I just bought (shoot a box, clean it well, shoot something else).  I, too, have been having a problem chambering new Eley rounds.

My gunsmith gave me some old Match Extra (with a round nose profile) to try out.  They stop with about 1/8 inch hanging out, but chamber pretty easily with a push of the thumb.  (I wish they were still around; the rifle shoots well with them.)  When I tried a box of new Eley Match, they chamber about as far in as the old ones, but I can barely move them in any farther by hand.  I can cam them in with the breechblock, but I really don't like doing that.  They seem to be a harder alloy bullet.  Is that correct?

How do others handle this?

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2007 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I have most of a brick left of the "Eley Sport" hecho in mexico, which I bought on sale at Bruno's in Phoenix. I've been shooting it offhand at 100 yards, but I haven't tried it in a bench rifle. I'll shoot several 5 shot groups and report back with the results.

Bob

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2007 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Thanks guys!

Schuetzen Bob, I look forward to your report!

Regards,

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2007 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I shoot Eley tenex in matches and have been using Eley sport for practice in order to eliminate any problems with changing to a different ammo. so far I am very satisfied with it. Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint