Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) iron sight set up for red 25 ring 200 yd target (Read 19267 times)
JerryW
Participating Member

iron sight set up for red 25 ring 200 yd target
May 14th, 2007 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
My 73 year old eyes see a red fuzz ball with the sights I use now. Anyone have any words of wisdom on what works for them? Thenks. JerryW

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Re: iron sight set up for red 25 ring 200 yd targe
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2007 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
WinkTurn the target over and shoot  the black side, works for me!! Tongue

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2007 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
You didn't say what size rear apreture you're using. As we get older we need to use a larger rear apreture. We all have a tendency to want to use the smallest apreture available, however in a match of any length it's better to use a larger one 'cause your eyes will become strained and won't focus properly causing you to see a fuzzy bulls eye, also you can shoot just as well with the larger apreture.

Bob

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2007 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Switch to the National Muzzle Rifle Associations 200 yd target.  It is dark red - much better than the ASSRA orange.  You can see bullet holes just fine too.  It is a standard 25 ring target identical to the ASSRA's otherwise.

Brent

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2007 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Hmm, Darker red may work. I use the black side and it is a Bit** seeing the holes even at 100yds. I have been doing some work with the blue targets printed by Handloader magazine and they seem to work great at 100yds. Much better than the orange.
If you can find a Hadley eyecup to match the threads on your rear sight they really help in finding just the right rear aperture size.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2007 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Larger front is always better. ISU recommends the front apprature should be double the size of the bull should (half to a side). Adjustable rear to adjust for the light condition always improves the ability to see it. I like to use a green filter on the rear sight and a eagle eye in the front when possible (When Legal). The green filter will make the red appear darker and the eagle eye will give you a bigger picture. This is my set up and works as well as I have found for Red or Orange targets.

IP Logged

JerryW
Participating Member

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2007 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Thanks for the input fellows. Modesto just has the red not the two sised targets. What is a eagle eye front sight? Thanks. JerryW

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2007 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I should have added that the WSU 200 yds ring target is the same dark red as the NMLRA.  The WSU is on white paper while the NMLRA target is on beige

Brent

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2007 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Eagle eye is a brand of lens that goes in the front sight. they are anywhere from a .5 to 1.5 mag. Sinclair has the best price but they only make them for certain size sights 18mm and 22mm that I've found. They carry Gehman and I think Anschutz brand.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2007 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Gentlemens:

Is a colored filter legal in ASSRA competition? How bout the ISSA and WSA?

Glenn

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2007 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
legal In ASSRA

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2007 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Jerry

It's not important for the bullseye to be sharp. It does have to be in the center.  The way to go is to have large arpitures F & R allowing plenty of brightness, Sharp is overrated. It's just not required for good iron sight scores.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2007 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Addendum to various suggestions to change targets...in a match, this is not always a permissible thing.  I think hst's suggestion, OK'd by Jim, of a colored filter, is a good one.  I would suggest taking the target you know you will need to see, using a variety of theatrical gels to find the best filter color, then get one from one of the camera companies in that color.  JM $.02!

Froggie

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 16th, 2007 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Mr. Frog:

Whilst I would like to take credit for actually having had a good idea, the filter thing was from bnice. My good ideas typically are not so practical.

Mr. bnice, where do you get said green filter? Thanks!

Glenn

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2007 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
The color filters I use are part of my rear appreture but I know people who have made them from colored polycarbinate (good quality), you can buy colored lens for camera use, gehman sells colored lens and holders that slip over there rear apratures that may work for others. Also I hate to disagree with Boat's comment about the large front and rear and as bright as possible isn't quite right (sorry). You need to adjust the amount of light going into the eye to get the best picture (optimum light). You do that by varing the rear aprature. If you take a adjustable rear (example) and close it down until the image just goes darker. Then from that point open it up a click you will have the optimum amount of light. To much light can be just as bad as not enough. The front you want large enough (about double the bull) so your eye and brain can process the image. Your hold should keep the bull in veiw most of the time in the front aprature. If they are to close in size they fuse or blurr together. It is a lot easier for your brain to identify its centered with the larger ring of white. What I recommended is legal in ISSRA. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint