Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rook 32 Rimfire Ammo (Read 5625 times)
kailuacustom
Ex Member

Rook 32 Rimfire Ammo
Apr 27th, 2007 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Hi all! I just acquired a Rook rifle in 32 RF. Anyone know if someone makes this stuff? I really don`t want to have to re-work the breech-block to CF if I can get ammo. Appreciate the help.
Aloha, Mark

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Re: Rook 32 Rimfire Ammo
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry, there is little or none 32 rimfire ammo, Navy Arms imported a batch from Brazal about 1977-but it was terrible stuff, it had as much as 50% misfires, so it didn't sell, they may still have some, but i doubt it's any better. Forget about shooting your 32 rimfire.

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Old Western Scrounger carries .32 rim, though they are currently out of stock.  Reviews are good.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Doug

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I got a notice from Navy Arms that OWS had taken over the .32 RF supply business.  Price has gone up from ~$23 for 50 to ~$37 for 50.  Not exactly plinking ammo, but at least something to shoot.

I went through about six boxes of Navy import stuff over the years and never had a misfire, although it wasn't hugely accurate in my rather scabby bores.  A friend's S&W #1 pistol shot it very well for a couple cylindersful, and then would need cleaning to restore accuracy.  An acquaintance's Marlin .32 rim-or-centerfire shot it very impressively at 50 yards.

I finally found a pristine .32RF Low Wall barrel and am building a .32 convertible with a rf and cf breechblock, so I imagine I'll be in the market for some new issue pretty soon.

Wish the Brazilians or someone would get smart and make some .25 Stevens rimfire.  That's five times the cartridge the .32 RF is.

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:05pm:
Wish the Brazilians or someone would get smart and make some .25 Stevens rimfire.

Amen, brother!  I've passed on some nice .25 rimfire guns because I don't want something that I can't shoot.  I don't understand why production runs of .32 rim are practical but runs of .25 rim are not.

Doug

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 8:40am
Print Post  
From my last conversation with Val, he has now combined Old Western Scrounger along with Navy Arms, so the ammo you got from NA and what you get from OWS will probably be the same.  I don't know whether there has been a later production run of the Brazilian .32 rf since that first, rather inconsistent batch.  My personal experience with it in a low-wall was not so much misfires as cracking cases and poor accuracy.  This may well have been a function of the condition of the chamber and bore, however.  My biggest complaint was the expense, so I went to the reloadable .32 Long Colt instead.  I never really got it shooting that much due to trading it off, but I DID find out that the heeled bullet seems to make a big difference in accuracy.   

Froggie

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 7:29am
Print Post  
I believe that there was a later run of .32 RF from Navy Arms as I bought several boxes when it was announced. It certainly wasn't 30 years ago,  more like 10 or 15. I have shot quite a bit of it with no misfires or other problems. It was made in Brazil. I bought several boxes of .22 WRF made by Winchester recently. I don't have anything to shoot it but I might someday. Sure wish someone would make a run of .25 RF.

Bill 

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
The .32 RF was chambered in about a zillion little nickel-plated house pistols which were rarely if ever taken out of the bureau drawer and fired.  People who have found and accumulated these curios will wonder how they shoot, enough to spring for a box of ammo to satisfy their curiosity.  Those of us with the rifles are a minority who are kind of riding on the coat-tails of that market.

The .25 RF was a hunter's cartridge, much more specialized; relatively few firearms of either sort were in the caliber, and a much larger proportion were used and abused till the bores were gone.  And now, with the .17RF's and the .22 Mag, there's too much glam and bling in the competition to logically hope for a .25RF revival.  But who knows?  I never figured the Win 1876 would ever get replicated, either.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2007 at 12:23am
Print Post  
I am apparently in the minority here. I rebarreled a perfect .25 rimfire Stevens 44 action rifle to .22 rimfire. I held on to the barrel for a future collector (the rifle can easily be restored by replacement of the barrel and a replacement extractor).

I would much rather have something that I can shoot or afford to shoot.

Of course, if the rifle is a collectable then a decision has to be made. I much prefer that the rifle have a bad barrel in obsolete calibers so I can cheerfully reline it to something that I can use. If the rifle has a good barrel with a usuable twist, then a conversion to centerfire will allow you to cast bullets and shoot to your heart's content. Of course, it makes no sense to remodel a collectible and then lose half of the rifle's value because of your re-modeling.

Dale53

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint