Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 22rf Lubes (Read 2552 times)
chrisj

22rf Lubes
Apr 30th, 2007 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
The answer to this question, which is inspired by another thread on 22rf, may have/ probably has very little practical utility.  Buy better ammunition is the obvious answer.  But it seems that the better ammunitions have better lube, and residuals of that lube will improve the performance of inferrior, (cheaper) ammunition, until the residual lube from the better ammunition wears out of the barrel.

Now as I'm a cheapscape and my practice habit is to throw as many rounds downrange as I can, as cheaply as possible, it would seem that one could improve a practice ammunition slightly and with relatively little effort by changing the lube ... or adding different lube to an existing round.

Has anyone ... or rather ... someone has tried such a thing: changing the lube or adding a lube to 22rf ammunition.  What was your experience?  What lube did you add and did you clean off the other stuff and how did you accomplish this?

Chris
Iowa

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Re: 22rf Lubes
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
it is my understanding that if the rules call for factory ammo that includes the lube - just food for thought - u have a good day now - the rimfire

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
You can not change the rimfire round in any way in ASSRA matches!
It is the same way in modern rimfire benchrest!
So learn to shot what you got!

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I suspect that while lube may be a big factor the thing that makes cheap ammo cheap is the QC observed in its MFG.  Premium RF ammo is simply made to tighter specs. amybe done on slower speed tighter tolerance production machine.  Core wire cut with more precision, cases selected for consistant weight and volumne etc.
The stuff that the QC people grade best/most consistant goes in the higher priced boxes and will have more consistant velocity, SD etc etc etc.  There may be some that is built to specific speeds fo specific purposes,  maybe a faster powder in the stuff designed for target pistols etc.   I'd guess that except for special loads---like cold weather ammo for the biathalon shooters---most mfgs use the same sheep dip on all their ammo--within their brand, but the amount on a given bullet is part of the QC final inspection, too much or too little and it goes into the cheaper practice ammo boxes.

I seriously doubt that hand dipping t-22s or wildcats is going to turn them into match winners.  but what the heck maybe its worth an experiment.
  But like rimfire says the ASSRA rules call for "factory" ammo for 22rf competition in our matches--I don;t recall but it may actually say "unaltered factory ammo"--not sure about that

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I have not tried it yet but have talked with several people who do re-lube their RF ammo.  There may be some advantage if you live where the humidity is low and your ammo is stored so it might dry out.  I’m told that all that is needed is to have a small hole in the lube of your choice and just insert the nose and rotate.  Only one way to know and that’s to try it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint