Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps-borchardt (Read 10443 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Sharps-borchardt
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Yes it does have what appears to be a cleaning rod hole. Especially thanks for the info that the gun is nowhere near original. For me to get something built off the action, i'd have to convince grandpap that we wouldn't be hurting its value. Much easier said then done. Either way it'll still be fun to tinker with. I know we've shot probably 10 rounds through it since he got it some years ago.

The more i find out about this action the more i want to build something off of it. Probably stick with the 45-70 or some other old straight walled cartridge. Either that or try and make it look like the original military rifle.....

Dave,
If you go to (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Click on Old Firearms Catalogues and scroll down to Sharps Catalogue 1877-1978 you will find that excellent reproductions of this booklet can be obtained for a mere US$ 9.95 + postage.

It is a valuable reference for any Borchardt owner to have. There are drawings in the Military Rifle and Carbine as well as the Long Range Target rifle. Also included are sketches of all the component parts of the Borchardt which on the Military Rifle exceed 50 in total. 

There are also the original Factory 'Tips on reloading' and drawings of the Sharps cartridges, and some samples of factory advertising 'Spin' testimonials.

It's 10 bucks worth of interesting information and worth every cent of the price.

If you rebuilt your rifle to the original military specifications you may have trouble locating much of the stock furniture and especially a cleaning rod/ramrod. These are very rare indeed and you would pay well over $150.00 for an original, if you could find one.

Rebuilding it to a Long Range target rifle, you could end up with a beautiful rifle capable of good shooting out to 1,000 yards with a 45/70 or 45/90 cartridge.

Review your options, there's a lot of choices available.

Harry
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:36am by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint