Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is there a Brit in the House? (Read 12242 times)
hst
Oldtimer

Is there a Brit in the House?
Nov 30th, 2006 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Harry:

As our board appointed interpreter, how does one properly pronounce "Farquaharson"?

Is this another one of those words where you get paid by the letter, or is it where you hid all the extra syllables from "Featherstonehaugh"?

Glenn

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Is there a Brit in the House?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I'm sure Harry would explain it better then I can (I'm not a Brit), but as far as I know, it is pronounced "farkeson" - or at least, that's what I have been told by a Brit friend....  So yes, they again squirreled some letters away!  But I can assure you, "Fraser" is still pronounced the way it is written  Wink

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
hst wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 2:53pm:
Harry:

As our board appointed interpreter, how does one properly pronounce "Farquaharson"?

Is this another one of those words where you get paid by the letter, or is it where you hid all the extra syllables from "Featherstonehaugh"?

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

It's a name that stumps (English Cricket term, meaning the batsman was out of his crease and the wicket Keeper knocked off the bails, with the ball, which means, oh bugger, forget it) many a person.

Everyone I know pronounces it FAR - KERR - SON. The Q, U, A, R, H and A are pronounced in what I believe to be the Scottish Gaelic language.  Huh

Even my own simple five letter name Eales, I have heard pronounced in at least a dozen ways. That came in handy in HM Forces when the Sgt called out names for dirty or unpopular duties, if he didn't get it right, I didn't answer.  Grin

English is a simple language to learn if you live over here, most people have mastered it by the time they get to 40 years of age.  Wink

Bye the way, did you get my Emails?

Harry

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Mr. Belgian:

Thanks. BTW, did you ever get that reamer you were having made?

Harry:

Curious. We use "stump" in the same context you do, but I had no idea it was a cricket term.

Yes, I did get your email and just today posted some trigger drawings across the pond. 

Glenn

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
hst wrote on Nov 30th, 2006 at 6:41pm:

Harry:

Curious. We use "stump" in the same context you do, but I had no idea it was a cricket term.

Yes, I did get your email and just today posted some trigger drawings across the pond. 

Glenn

Hello Glen,

It's probably a hangover from the pre 1776 dispute, when cricket was played in what is now the USA by some of our old settlers.

Some names have changed though, the game you call Baseball is known in England as Rounders and played only by women or girls.

Thanks in advance for the drawings, I'll wait for them in great anticipation.

Harry

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Glenn,
The reamer has been made, I have an Eichelberger barrel lined up, the bullet mould has arrived and the donor rifle is ready - I now only have to wait for my 'smith to put all together...
FWIW, the bullet lined up is a replica of the original Metford match bullet - which was of course Paper-Patched....  see pic below:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
After that, it will be up to me to make it perform.

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Funny old language English isn't it. Take the word Gotten you often find it in American publications, even in John Taylors African Rifles & Cartridges published by The Gun Room Press, Terrible bad grammer to use such a word in the UK but imagine my supprise when reading an early copy of Samuel Pepys Diary which he wrote in his own short hand (1660-1669) and which wasn't deciphered until after his death in 1885, there was the word gotten. Long forgotten in England but still in use in America.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Long forgotten in England but still in use in America.
A French lady in my neighborhood here majored in the English language. She claims that American English is closer to the language once spoken in both England and America centuries ago. That is, it is British English -- under the influence of the continental languages and of the languages of its empire -- that has changed more. I have a book somewhere on the history of the language; I ought to go look this up...

Karl
IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
KWK wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 2:13pm:
Quote:
Long forgotten in England but still in use in America.
A French lady in my neighborhood here majored in the English language. She claims that American English is closer to the language once spoken in both England and America centuries ago. That is, it is British English -- under the influence of the continental languages and of the languages of its empire -- that has changed more. I have a book somewhere on the history of the language; I ought to go look this up...

Hello KWK,
Damn, there's never a French lady in my neighbourhood when I need one.  Cry

Your French lady friend may have a point about the influence of foreign words, but in my own experience they tend to be used more as 'slang' and not proper English. E.g. Tab from the Egyption tabah meaning cigarette, Chi or Char from India meaning tea, and Bint from the Arabic meaning woman.

We have of course, absorbed the words of many languages over the past three centuries during Colonial Expansion and contraction, and still continue to do so today.

Languages of all countries evolve constantly, even English changes rapidly, Elizabethan documents only 500 years old are very difficult to read and understand. I have little doubt that if mankind survives another 500 years the people of that time will be looking at our writings and scratching their head.  Huh

Who today speaks in the style of, or uses the words that Shakespear wrote in everyday speech? Only actors do. 

I haven't found the word 'Gotten' in any of my three English Dictionaries, but as each new edition is published new words are added and others fall by the wayside.

Harry

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
It may not be in any of your UK dictionaries, but if I were you I'd try the OED next. I expect you'll find that 'gotten' is the particlple/past participle version of the verb 'get'. I get it today, I got it yesteday and I will have gotten it tomorrow and have already gotten it in the past.

Do you get it? (VBG)
Cheers from this side, Joe

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I remember now that one of the things I found strange about the UK usage was their seeming insistence upon using 'got' as the past participle of 'got'. I just figured it was another instance of differing customs & usage, and maybe the UK writer/speaker was simply using a casual form of the language or possibly hadn't been educated properly. Or maybe an instance of a contraction that later came to be a word in and of itself, like the UK contraction of the word 'university' into first 'varsity and later losing the apostrophe and becoming the now-accepted stand-alone word varsity when referring to sports.

Just one of many.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

uteeqtee
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 3:19am
Print Post  
*sigh*...if only I could get my firearm-phobic colleagues to read this thread! I'm a public high school teacher with over 170 units post-Masters degree, but my fellow teachers look upon me as a Stone Age barbarian, because of my passion for guns.  They wouldn't believe that a simple question about the proper pronunciation of a single shot rifle action would lead to a discussion of the odd turns taken during the historyof the English language!

Tommy

P.S.  It also bothers them that a certified gun crank sponsored a school poetry club, and incorporates literature and classical music into his science courses...

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
It may not be in any of your UK dictionaries, but if I were you I'd try the OED next. I expect you'll find that 'gotten' is the particlple/past participle version of the verb 'get'. I get it today, I got it yesteday and I will have gotten it tomorrow and have already gotten it in the past.

Do you get it? (VBG)
Cheers from this side, Joe

Hello J.D.
When I was young, I used to have a full set of volumes of The Oxford English Dictionary and a complete set of Encyclopedia Britanica. Then I 'got' married. I had no use for them after that,  my wife knew everything.  Grin

I'm quite familiar with the word 'gotten' having heard it used in many an Americam film or TV programme.

The word 'received' has replaced 'gotten' in most everyday usage these days over here, although the word 'got' is still used occasionally.

English is a very strange language indeed.

Harry

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 10:55am
Print Post  
I still have the old Encyclopaedia Britannica of my youth, of course it's somewhat outdated now, but it still provides many hours of entertainment and elucidation. Unfortunately, My Brother the Swine has moved to Atlanta and has taken the OED with him. Says that it's his now and he's not gonna bring it back any time soon. Of course that particular edition is now probably even more outdated than our old Britannica and it sure takes up a lotta shelf space...........

Yes, some of us low-brow knuckle-dragging gun-loving Neanderthal types are in fact able to appreciate and participate in some of the more politically-correct pursuits of the 'gentle' people. Seems to me that most of them are quite surprised that a 6"-6" 300-lb gun-loving GO-rilla like me can even string two words together comprehensibly. Comes as quite a shock to some of them & I really love it when their bubble gets busted!
Hope you all (excuse me, that should have been y'all!) have a good day, Joe

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 11:01am
Print Post  
hello harry_eales, I do find my neighbor's claim to be a bit suspicious. After all, U.S. English was under the influence of great waves of German, Italian, Polish, etc. immigration, and I'd have wagered money it is U.S. English that has changed more than British English over the last 250 years. My book on the history of English has no concise answer to the question. It says the two languages were essential identical in spelling and pronunciation in 1776, but U.S. English changed rapidly, partly as a desire by the newly independent country to assert it was different. To my ear, Aussie, N.Z., southern African, etc. all sound more similar to British English, suggesting it is U.S. English which has changed the most.

Karl
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint