Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ruger no # 1 accuracy (Read 20067 times)
saladin
Ex Member

ruger no # 1 accuracy
Nov 14th, 2006 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
hi to all. 1st post on these boards.

i would like to buy my 1st ever centre fire single shot rifle ( i do have a martini cadet in 22lr).  i am in australia, which means that the only real choice available is a ruger #1 ( 1885 winchesters are simply not around).

however, i am seeing greatly differing opinions on the accuracy of Bill's finest.  some seem to shoot very well from new, but others get written off as a no-win item.  some just don't seem to shoot well, no matter how much load development is done.   now i don't want to invest US$ 1,000 in something that could be a lottery accuracy wise. for such a classic looking rifle i would like a classic calibre, and will most likely choose 7x57mm . which means that i am looking at a #1-A, with barrel band, henry forend etc.

so to cut a long story short, do these things shoot as well as i'd expect of a mid-priced rifle?  if you get one that is not too flash, can they be accurised without completely overhauling the rig?

any info would be much appreciated.

cheers.

IP Logged

DrHenley
Participating Member

Re: ruger no # 1 accuracy
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Saladin, it did not take much work on my #1B in 25-06 to get it to shoot beyond my wildest expectations.  When I bought it, the barrel was tight on one side of the barrel channel and accuracy was poor. All I had to do was relieve that side of the barrel channel.  I left one spot of contact at the very front of the forend.   I didn't do anything else - no trigger work, speed hammer, etc.  

Here is an example of how it shoots:   Last Saturday I took it to the range to check out the point of impact at 200 and 300 yards.  At 200 yards 4 shots fired off sandbags went into a 0.91" triangle (first and last were overlapping)  At 300 yards, I fired the first two shots off sandbags.  They made overlapping holes!   I then took it off the sandbags and fired two shots from a hunting type field position.  Those two shots were less than 2" apart at 300 yards. 

The Alex Henry forend should not present a problem accuracy-wise as long as you don't try to use a sling for shooting.  That barrel band sling swivel is best used for just carrying the rifle, not shooting.   

You should be able to load the 7x57 up to it's full potential in the #1.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I have a Ruger No. 1V in .223.  Had the trigger taken down to 2 pounds and left everything else alone.  Best group, using Black Hills 52Grn mollycoats was three shots, 90 seconds, 100 yards, and got a 3/16 inch group......yep, nothing like a rifle that shoots!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Very few of the #1's are really inaccurate.  The biggest issue is getting the barrel/forend/frame interaction right.  Some are good out of the box.  But most respond to a bit of tweaking.  There are several ways to do it all of which are well within in the skill range of anyone who has handloaded ammo and none require complex or expensive tools.  Information is readily available on line, from this site and others as to how to go about it.  Best course probably is to start with factory ammo to get a baseline, tune the action/forend/bedding then start handloading for accuracy.  if you try developing handloads first or at the same time as adjusting the forend you'll have too many variables.  you might also try shooting it with factory ammo off the sandbags without the forend--resting on the bare barrel ahead of the spring hanger.

tweaking the action itself to get faster locktime and better trigger pull is another area of improvement you can pursue at a later date if you feel it is needed.  again there is info here to help you

Welcome to the ASSRA forums

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

PlumbCenter
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I have owned a Ruger 1A in cal. 7x57mm for about 30 years and it is my favorite hunting rifle period.  It likes bullets in the 140-150gr. range the best.  With certain handloads at about 2800fps it will put 5 in 2" - 2 1/4" at 200yds, very fine for such a light gun.  Great rifle and caliber choice.
Jim      

IP Logged

MarcO
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 4:12am
Print Post  
I've experienced both ends of the spectrum.  Had a 458 Win Mag that was very accurate.  Also one in 22-250 that was good.  However, a #3 in .22 Hornet was pathetic.  Couldn't consistently hit a 9" pie plate at 100 yards in calm conditions.  No amount of tweaking this and that made any difference.  Overall, I would have to agree with what has been posted.  They are generally accurate rifles.  

The .22 Hornet I think was a problem from the earliest days.  I remember an article in a Gun Digest from back in the 70's that chronicled the adventures of a gentleman trying to get a #3 to shoot in that caliber.  He was not very successful in the end either as I recall.  

Good luck to you.  Let us know what you end up with and how it shoots.
Marc

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 7:48am
Print Post  
My 1st CF rifel was a #1V in 25-06 (I still have it) - I started out with remington factory 120gr stuff (I believe), and I shot patterns at 100...
However, handloading led to a drastic improvement, and basically now the rifle is a consistent 1" grouper with ammo it like, but it is rather picky.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Marco, I suspect that that #3 in 22H was a cascade of bad stuff happening.  Unfortunately the 22H while a fine little small game hunting round is not known for steller accuracy without considerable work with bullets and load development.  Then of all the #1 variations I suspect that in the short barrelled lightweight #3 would be the hardest to shoot well with the combination of short light stock and the usual Ruger single shot bedding issues. Even the 45-70 version, while a superlative little brush gun for hunting was not much of a target rifle.
 I had a #1 in .30-'06 that was incredibley accurate.  I now have a well tuned #3 action rebarrelled with a heavy short barrel in 38-55 that is my ASSRA competition bench gun.  It's fairly new to me but I suspect that with another season or two of learning what it likes the biggest factor keeping me in the muddle-of-the-pack will be my skills or the lack thereof.
I also have a #1 that SteveD is working on that should turn out to be another good one when done.

Ed Cooksey has a very very fine little modified #3 that Steve and he did that shoots very well indeed.  I may be wrong but I think it's in the dell/miller cartridge.  In the last issue there is a pic of it on page 37.

Hopefully sometime early next year we will be doing an article, maybe two specifically on the Rugers that have been showing up at Etna Green.  There have been some really innovative things done to some of them but all of them are capable or great accuracy or they simply would not be there
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2006 at 2:56pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I had 3 different Ruger #3's in .22 Hornet and none of them were worth a poop in the accuracy department.  Have also had #3's in 30-40 Krag, and 375 Win that shot very well.  

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Yes, for an accurate .22H, you need a Martini...
users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/BSA22H16-10-2005.jpg

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I have a ruger #3 with #1 wood. It has a Ron long .40 cal barrel on it. using 20 gr of 4227 and breechseating a 400 gr hard tapered bore rider bullet, it will shoot like a souped up wildcat. when your in the souped up wildcat zone no one stands a chance. My ruger has a Kepplinger trigger, lightened hammer, heavy main spring, and the sear is cut back about .300. all parts lapped smooth. I did all the work myself. Ruger actions are sleepers. My ruger is pretty ugly because I didnt blue the barrel. the action has a bunch of holes drilled in the sides from previous tests. It has a Canadian super Central rear sight and a Redfield big bore front sight. the Ruger can be modified to double set triggers easily and cheaply. Rugers are srong. Rugers are good.     Thats all I have to say about that   Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

DrHenley
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Ditto to what DWS said about #3's and Hornets.  I have a #3 in 45-70, and it is pretty obvious that it isn't a suitable rifle for benchrest in the original configuration, LOL!  

I also have a Low Wall in 22 Hornet, and factory ammo had a shotgun pattern.  Careful handloading utilizing a neck sizing die got it shooting teeny tiny groups though.  

I don't think anything is inherently wrong with the #3 action.  Mine has a great trigger and I believe I can build a very accurate rifle on it.  But not with the factory stock!

I've already proven to myself that there is nothing wrong with the #1 action... Smiley

I just laugh when I read about the trials and tribulations bolt action shooters go through trying to fix action bedding problems and such.   Grin 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2006 at 8:21am by DrHenley »  

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I have #1's in .458WM & .375H&H - Never tried for maximum accuracy, have iron sights on both.  .458WM will hit 1-1/2" OJ bottle cap at 80 yards though from one sandbag.

And #3's in .375Win and 7mm-08.  Haven't shot the .375 yet, but the 7-08 did under 1/2" group 5 shots/100yds on first trip to the range.

Had #1's in .300WM and .25-06.  Traded the 300 after 3 rounds.  Traded the .25-06 for something I wanted more, but it was extremely accurate (had a Canjar trigger on it).

BIG heavy barrels are a plus.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
I have a #3 Ruger, rechambered from Hornet to .221 Fireball with custom wood that shoots VERY well with both jacketed and cast bullets.

I also have a #3 in .45/70 that is my next project to work with. I keep the board posted. It'll be shot entirely with cast bullets.

Dale53

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Dale, I highly recommend that you use duplex loads in your #3 Ruger rifle. Here's why. About 1999 I was at a match in Oregon. I used my Canadian style souped up wildcat  Ruger #3.  for the IS bench match. I was shooting 40/65 fixed ammo. 400 gr bore rider, 7 gr R7 50 gr cartridge powder with a poly wad over that, about !/8 compression. My first seven shots went into the 25 ring then the relay ended. Everyone went down to post targets and such. When they came back I had to endure remarks like , dont bring that long range gun back next year! they were just jealous cause they knew I hadm beat. I loved it. I couldnt keep them all in the 25 but ended up with a 245 to win the match. If the relay hadn't ended I surely would have shot a perfect score. Im on a duplex tear tonight. Duplex the load of champions!!!   Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint