Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Trapdoor, which one? (Read 4016 times)
Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Trapdoor, which one?
Sep 29th, 2006 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I'd like to pick up A Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70. I shot A friends at A long distance shoot and we really had A blast. Are there certain serial# or model of one's that are better or to look for? I just want A shooter, but they still seem to be pricey.I  Any help would be appreciated. I 've learned alot from this forum, Thanks, Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Re: Trapdoor, which one?
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2006 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
The 1884 and 1888 with the Buffington sight are the easiest to shoot because of the quality of the sight.  The '84s are common enough that it is possible to get one that will make a satisfactory shooter for a decent price.  Actually less than a reproduction.  Try  Dr Frasca's site at this address
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
and go to the catalog section.  There are several very nice rifles in all price ranges for sale.  The descriptions are accurate and pictures are excellent so you will know exactly what you are buying.  Most of them clean up with a bit of elbow grease and 4O steel wool to make very handsome rifles.  I know I love mine.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

uteeqtee
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Pete--

Also visit (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) The owner will talk to you on the phone and answer you questions honestly.  He has many models, rifles and carbines, in stock and listed for sale.  Photos of many of the weapons can be viewed online, also, giving you a feel for what a $700--$800 on-up trapdoor looks like.  I bought my Trapdoor from Martin B. Redding here in So Cal for $995;  the bore is beautiful, all of the cartouches are nice and crisp, the color cased breech and breech block are still pretty, and there's some original blue on the barrel.  I've seen similarly conditioned rifles at the Stockade in Orange County, CA, similarly priced.  Expect to pay much more for the carbines, in any kind of decent shape--the "romance" of the cavalry them pricier, even though Trapdoor rifle-armed infantry also engaged in combat during the Plains Indian wars, and many rifles were used by volunteer troups in the Spanish American War.   

My trapdoor rifle came out of the Springfield Armory in December, 1889, and has the Buffington sight.  These sights were beautifully crafted, and if you have middle-aged presbyopia, you'll appreciate the peep on the ladder.  Carbines weren't made with good rear sights like these. I got a front sight blank from Trapdoors Galore (& other parts, including a pristine bayonet), and shaped it to match the contour of the original, but to sit quite a bit higher.  The front sight is now much more visible, and the modified sight brought my point of impact down to within acceptable limits at 100 yards. (Yes, of course I saved the original sight!)

I shoot a cast lead 405 grain bullet over 38 grains of IMR 3031, with nice results.   
Even though I bought mine as a shooter (I can't afford guns that I can only hang on a wall and look at), I would not take steel wool to mine, due to the historical connections of these rifles.  Mine is only 10 serial numbers away from a rifle known to have gone down with the USS Maine.

As far as love goes, I agree with Jerry--love is not too strong a word for these rifles. 
Borrow or buy a copy of Frank Sellars' book on the Trapdoor, for an historical treatment of the weapons, and lots of detail on model and accoutrement variations.

Hope this is helpful--and you should hear my enthusiasm for these fine pieces of history coming through, loud and clear!

Tommy

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2006 at 8:31am
Print Post  
For a shooter you may want to consider Trapdoors that have been Cleaned.  If the Cartouches are not crisp the prices are much lower. If the rifle has a good bore and not alterered make an offer. I had a nice high serial number Carbine for sale on consiginment for a couple of years before someone made me a cash offer and I let it go cheap.  It was one of the last Trapdoors made by the Arsenal and no doubt was sold private which I understand they did with surplus rifles at the end of there production run.  Way under the price of a Indian war period carbine. Very good for a shooter.

As far as which one I have owned several and the one I kept and like the best is a Cadet model. Also very high number. Perfect mechanicals and bore but the stock had been scraped. They are slightly shorter than the full rifles and to me handle better. It has a very good Buffington sight and I replaced the front sight blade with one from a 03 Springfiled allowing me to zero at shorter ranges. I also found one of the Arsenal produced cast pistol grips that I installed.   

It shoots best with the carbine load, 405 grain bullet and black powder.  If you plan to shoot you neeed J.S. Wolf's "Loading Cartridges for the original 45/70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine"  It's avalable from several book dealers, mine was from Mike Stegen Sales.

Boats

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2006 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Thanks for your help guys, have been gone the last few days so will start looking up all the info you have given me. Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2006 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
One more Trapdoor tip.  The Buffington sight is a good one, however when you raise the front sight the yardage settings on the rear are off. No problem if you keep a notebook with sight settings vs actual yardage.

When I shoot it in competition I use a dial caliper and measure the distance between the base and bottom of the sliding bar. Again recording in my notebook I can repeat settings or change in MOA increments quickly with precision.

Boats

IP Logged

uteeqtee
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 12:56am
Print Post  
...and, if you'd like to have rear apperatures of different sizes, say larger for low light conditions, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); has modern repro rear sight slides.  You could calibrate these with a scribe and retain the original if you ever feel like selling the rifle (if it's a good shooter, my guess is that you'll keep it).

Tommy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint