Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Davenport rifle history (Read 2909 times)
cdsafecomm
Ex Member

Davenport rifle history
Jul 24th, 2006 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
On the net I see that Davenport rifles were manufactured in Norwich, CT, but I remember reading somewhere that they had factories throughout the south.  Does anyone know if this is true or have suggestions where I can look for more information?

Christian

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Davenport rifle history
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Wasn't "Davenport" one of the many names used by Crescent Arms for their products?  I know that you could at one time have them make up a batch of guns with any name you wanted.

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Dave,
Your info on H&A is slightly incorrect. Savage did take over their plant during WWI, but after WWI Marlin Firearms Co. took over production of H&A guns in 1922. 
Marlin proceeded to build many of the pistols, and shotguns that H&A built before WWI, and did so using up pre-War parts. About the same time Marlin ended up in bankruptcy, and was sold to the property owner Frank Kenna, in 1923. At that time Kenna saw no reason to continue the H&A line as Marlin had only assembled guns, and had not seen fit to begin production. 
The H&A line died with the rebirth of Marlin Firearms Co.
Hope this helps.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

hawkins
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Just ran across this thread. H&A went broke early in WW1. They took on a fixed price contract to build Mausers (yes) .  Labor and material went way up when we entered the war.
Interesting.

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 11:47am
Print Post  
H & A tried to recapitalize with a new-reorgization plan and stock issue but it didn't sell in 1915.People who were there in 1915 like my Grandfather told me that business was DEAD, because everyone was scared of the war, it wasn't untill late in 1915 that the allies relized that they were short of EVERYTHING, and orders flooded in and business started to come to life and boomed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint