Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scope caps (Read 4394 times)
digitall423
Oldtimer

Scope caps
Jul 12th, 2006 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Does anyone make replacement screw-in caps for the old externally adjusted scopes? Or perhaps someone knows someone who might have some. I have checked with Parsons to no avail. The scope in question is a Fecker.
Bill

IP Logged

40-65tom

Re: Scope caps
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Bill
Almost anyone who is handy with a lathe can make caps to fit. I am not really handy with mine but have managed to make several sets, although they don't look exactley like the orginals. They do serve the pourpose well of protecting the lens. A somewhat time consuming job between threading and knurling a small area. It seems also the caps will not interchange between brands although the thread pitch is the same.  It seems almost necessary to custom fit the caps to each scope. I do have one orginal objective cap(aluminum)  off a 1 1/8 inch model if interested.

Tom

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Woody Woodruff out of Northern VA used to bring several sets he made to matches up there and at Etna Green.  His were uncoated aluminum and looked very nice on the ends of a blued scope.  Maybe a NoVA forum reader could come on here and give us a contact number for Woody if he is still making them.

Froggie

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Some camera lens caps, also some binocular & spotting scope caps, are the same thread sizes as some of the target scopes. I have used the threaded cap from the eyepiece of a cheap BSA 1" variable as the cap for the objective lens on a !" Target Unertl, for instance. I had to reshape the knurled portion since it was quite 'agressive', but a little spray paint, cured in the oven, made everything look kosher. Not as good as steel but better than nothing.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 9:44am
Print Post  
I measured one that fits last night. 48 tpi, .820 length of thread. The slowest speed of my lathe is 70 rpm. I'm going to try to make one turning the chuck by hand. Wish me luck. Grinding the tool bit is going to be interesting.
Bill

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I just cut a groove on the inside edge of the cap and thread into the recess. .820 length of thread sounds like a lot, the orginal caps only had about 4 turns of thread. I made mine longer and just faced off till I had what was needed. Tom

IP Logged

COLONEL
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 9:58am
Print Post  
turn the tool upside down and run the lathe backwards. works great. regards,ben.

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Sorry about the thread length error it should have been .082. Upside down and backwards sounds good. I may try that. Thanks.
Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint