Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel Length for BPCRS (Read 2372 times)
smkinva
Ex Member

Barrel Length for BPCRS
Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I am new to the sport and saw a good deal on a Lone Star rifle in .45-70.  Thinking "what a deal" and "perfect for BPCRS" I snapped up the rifle.  Then I was reading more and found that the average barrel lengths are between 30 and 34 inches with a lot of folks going with 32 inches.  The gun I purchased has a 26 inch barrel (may be 24 inches, I do not know whether to measure to the end of the breech or not). 

Did I screw up royally?  Do I need to have a longer barrel to be able to reach out to 500 meters for the rams?

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: Barrel Length for BPCRS
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:45am
Print Post  
You will be fine.  The 26" barrel is not a big deal.  You will have less fouling problems, that will probably more than compensate for a slightly shorter sight radius.  Shoot it!

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 11:01am
Print Post  
The issue with BPCS is making weight which is probably why your barrel is 26"  A shorter  barrel is stiffer for it's weight and generaly considered to be more accurate.  In any event it's no negative and those Lone Star rifles are real nice

Boats

IP Logged

smkinva
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reasuring comments folks.  I feel much better now.  I am going to go shoot this thing now and have fun!  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint