Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) BSA Martinis.......... (Read 11736 times)
Cledus_J._Crabb
Ex Member

BSA Martinis..........
Jun 11th, 2006 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Any ideas, suggestions or comments concerning the BSA Martini MKI or II in .22?
I have an idea of trying to get into the single shot game for fairly short money to start out and came across a webpage advertising a few dozen of them with prices ranging from $295 to $600.
Whaddaya think?
TACJC

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Re: BSA Martinis..........
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Who's webpage?  Thad Scott's or John Appleton's?

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Cledus_J._Crabb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Thad Scott's, actually..........
Any reason there are so many listed? Should I approach it with caution?
You know the saying "If it's too good to be true, it usually isn't."
TACJC

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Buy a nice " not worn-out " MK11---111---1V---or V    -  you will not be sorry.   leadball

IP Logged

Cledus_J._Crabb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks...........you've got me thinkin' now............No other words of advice other than that?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Take a look at John Appleton (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).  Usually has several varieties in stock and in very nice condition.  I bought one rifle from Scott; it was not as advertised and had a bad trigger.  I got my money back, no problem there.  However, I did have to pay the ffl fee and freight both ways.  Bought one rifle from John; nice rifle, nice price- nice guy for that matter.  Watch out, Martinis are additive.  2520
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2006 at 9:42pm by »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Oh my favorite subject......A Mk II is a good starter. It has an adjustable trigger, ejector, good barrel and pretty easy to mount a modern scope on. It does weigh in around 12lbs though so to some that is an issue. Make sure to get the iron sights with it as they tend to be pricey if you try to pick them up at gun shows. For a lighter gun with just as good accuracy, get a 12/15 BSA Martini. Non adjustable trigger and an extractor only but equally as accurate but around 10lbs. Later on if target shooting is not your game these actions make for great custom guns. The Mk III and Mk V are the heavyweights at over 14lbs. An ISU (Mk IV) is a great rifle but more costly (about 2x the cost of a Mk II).

As to dealers John Appleton, Bob Adams, Thad Scott and MT Guns in that order is my advice. Tell John the guys from the ASSRA board sent ya so we can get a better discount next buy!  Grin

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 12:27am
Print Post  
The only "warning" I can give you about Thad Scott realy deals with the Francotte Pattern Martini's.  To him every thing is a 1215.  He doesn't know the  Models.   

I don't know if that applies to  the Internationals also as I am not into Internationals. Be sure you ask and get complete description and know what you want to buy.  You won't be disappointed.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Try this link to identify the various models and accessories

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

blitz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 9:24am
Print Post  
If I had to start all over again, I would go with a 1215 or a .310 Cadet, that way when you start to get serious about the sport and if your like 90% of us you will, you can have it rechambered in some thing that will buck the wind a little bit better at 200 yards. With that said, I Have a MKII and for the money you can't go wrong. I will say a good Martini rifle will put a modern .22 to shame at 100 yards.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Bad_Ass_Wallace wrote on Jun 12th, 2006 at 1:32am:
Try this link to identify the various models and accessories

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It's Dealer who needs the link...he doesn't know one model from another and as long as he doesn't we reap the benefit.  Actually I realy don'think he cares. He  is buying cheap and selling to make a small profit and that's fine also.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I bought a model 15 from Appleton, his shop is about a 25 min drive from my house so I was able to have him help me fit my budget at the time. The model 15 will shoot darn good. My cousin and many others I know shoot the internationals of different marks and all of them shoot very well. They are a bit heavier but more shall I say, "user friendly". They have all knids of extras over the older small frame martinis. My cousin picked up an Al Freeland stock for his which adds a alot of adjustability.
Appleton is a no BS guy who will help you. Don't know about the others. Only know I want more martinis. Chances are you will live whatever you get. It is easier to get a scope on an international, Appleton has the mounts for them. But I got one on my 15 without too much trouble. Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Scoping any of the martini's vary from no brainer to having a gunsmith drill and tap (D&T) a few holes. If the gun is already D&T'd for Unertl style bases, you can a) use the Unertl/Lyman style of scopes or b) BKL makes a scope mount for modern scopes that clamps to the Unertl bases. It is a mono mount with dual rings. You can get the link from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) . Another way is to have your gunsmith drill the hole pattern you already have in a base blank or use a weaver Contender base mounted with the overhang over the receiver. Some have even glued the weaver base to an untapped barrel. With the .22LR it does not seem to be a problem.

IP Logged

kenh
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Beware Thad Scott, I bought a "mint bore" .22LR from him.

About 3" down the bore from muzzle there appeared to be rust, could not see further because of the bullet lodged in bore!
The barrel had gouges as if someone had attempted removal with a pipe wrench. I sent that POS back, isnsisted on full refund, including shipping.

My FFL holder has had issues with him before.

He also does business as 505Guns.

I bought a nice international MK II w/36X scope off Gunsamerica. 
Also Gun Broker and Auction Arms will have some nice ones.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 9:57am
Print Post  
You cannot go wrong with a MkII, especially from John Appleton. Joe S

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I got a PM asking for a link to a dealer mentioned in a post but I have no Idea which dealer or which post was being referred to.  

Beside I didn't see the PM notice until a week had past.

If you need a Martini Dealer always check here first: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have a special section on that list for small Martini  dealers.  Here is the small Martini Dealer section

Sellers Featuring Small-Frame Martinis

Thad Scott's Fine Guns - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

M.T. Guns - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

Joe Salter - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

Adams Guns - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

Jansa Antique Arms - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

John Appleton - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

John Appleton is always my first choice...Just because I know John personally and he is a former Marine.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint