Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) want to make a BSA MKII into a schuetzen rifle (Read 7584 times)
blitz
Ex Member

want to make a BSA MKII into a schuetzen rifle
Apr 11th, 2006 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
I have a BSA MKII that I want to make into a schuetzen rifle, but I have two problems, the first is the rifle a right handed rifle and I'm left handed. So I need to find a left handed butt stock or have one made.
The second problem is that I need to find a hooked butt plate that will fit the MKII. If some one could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Re: want to make a BSA MKII into a schuetzen rifle
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Mr. Blitz:

FWIW, there are left handed BSA Mk IIIs available. These are true mirror images of the standard rifle, right down to the sights. It may be cheaper to sell yours and chase down a left hand rifle.

Glenn

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
blitz, as Glenn suggests it might be better to lay hands on one of the left handed BSAs.  Thad Scott ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ) currently has 2 left handed Mk IIs and a LH Mk III.

Doug

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
blitz;
       I'm thinking the left-hand stock is not the big problem with this project. The cartridge will have to be short to enable it to be loaded--the extractor work wil be extensive.
       These rifles were made as prone rifles and therefore the stock is not well suited for offhand Schuetzen. The Al Freeland Co made adjustable butt-plates [no longer made] for the Intl Martini's, sometimes found at gunshows.
         If all else fails, cut the cheekpeice off the stock, now you have a lefthand [or righthand] stock.    leadball

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Leadball;
I would like to "gently" disagree with you. I shot alongside a number of small bore three position shooters who did quite well with the BSA's.

The adjustable butt plate would allow the shooter to adjust the drop in between positions. 

I was shooting a Model 52 Winchester at the time and the BSA's were absolutely competitive in ALL three positions (prone, kneeling, and offhand). Of course, the shooter would use a flat butt plate for prone, switch it out (2 minutes) to a hook for kneeling and offhand.

Dale53

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
John Appleton offered replacement stocks and might have what you are looking for? 

Give him a call!
Phone M-W 1-703-385-6402
Phone T-S 1-540-635-0455

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I don't believe the gentleman ever said he wanted a CF, he just wanted a Schuetzen rifle and a lotta Schuetzens are 22s.
? Joe

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:47am
Print Post  
blitz;
        Sorry for my misunderstanding  your post--go to Neal Johnson's gunsmithing [www.nealjguns.com] thats where I bought a Martini adjustable buttplate made by Freeland.
        I just order a Martini Intl MK !V [ISU model] they come with the adjustable buttplate.
         CPA [www.singleshotrifles.com] sells a buttstock for the Martini INTL--maybe they could make a lefhanded stock.

MARTINI's   the best bang for your buck   -   leadball

IP Logged

blitz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Well lets see here over the past few days I have call CPA and they only make right handed versions, and they do not know any one that make them in a left hand version. I then call John Appleton and he has non in his shop, John told me he can't even find some one to reproduce them for him. He said they come back to him as no bids. I really don't want to cannibalize the the stock for the simple fact of resale. It is looking mighty dim in my search Sad

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
blitz
you might want to use some of the previous advice and call Thad Scott. Sell the one you have and see what Thad has available. Call him. He has more than he advertises. and his prices are reasonable. It is not just the stock, the receiver and sight mount are reversed also. It's a true lefthand rifle.
Tom

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I checked all of my resources and could find nobody who advertises a left hand blank for the BSA International's. Left hand BSA's usually fetch a $100-$200 premium when found on the auction sites. Try one of the parts dealers listed here (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) . Somebody may have a spare. As to a hooked buttplate, you can try fitting one from one of the stores catering to the small bore crowd (Sinclair's, Champion's Shooters Supply, etc). I have fit several Freeland hooked buttplates that I found at Camp Perry and from gun shows. Short of that you could learn to shoot on the correct side of a rifle.  Grin JUST KIDDING!!!! Wink

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I have a left handed stock for I believe a MK3 I do know that it will not fit my MK5 - It is not in the best shape in the world - It looks like someone removed to much wood from the hollow of the cheek piece and then tried to fix it with plastic wood or bondo.

rimfire

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint