Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Auto ejecting" Trapdoors? (Read 6757 times)
buffalobreath
Ex Member

"Auto ejecting" Trapdoors?
Jan 22nd, 2006 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
REF:  ...the action would open up and "auto eject" when you fired it.

What kind of loads were being used by the folks who experienced an "auto ejection" by a Trapdoor?

I just bought a Pedersoli Trapdoor carbine and plan to fire Goex Black Dawge 405 gr .45-70 cartridges in it.  I'd prefer to avoid any surprises.

Thanks,

Mike

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Re: "Auto ejecting" Trapdoors?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I believe the problem occured with the H&R Trapdoors and was due to the way the camlock and thumbpiece were joined with a setscrew instead of being made in one piece.  The original rifles and the Pedersoli do not have this problem.  This was recently discussed on the Trapdoor Springfield site in the forums section.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Thought I'd save you some trouble and copy the posting about the "auto ejecting" Trapdoor.  This is Mr Trenk's posting on the Trapdoor site:

Pedersoli and H&R Trapdoor Rifles

Posted by dick trenk on Friday, 21 October 2005, at 8:57 a.m.

On one message board recently, there was a posting which suggested that Pedersoli had purchased tooling from H&R and used it to mfr. their own TD models. The question was also asked if Ped. parts would fit the H&R models.

I have been unable to locate the proper message or board on which it appeared so I would like to have this message passed along to all boards which are involved with Trapdoor models. 1. Pedersoli never purchased any tooling from H&R and none was ever offered by H&R. Our TD models are produced using "forged" actions which are much stronger than the H&R were. 2. Several weaknesses and dangers known in the H&R action were designed out, making the Pedersoli action 100% safer and capable of handling much higher chamber pressures than the H&R and the original TD guns. 3. One such test demonstration was to prepare a Pedersoli test gun in which the breech latch would not lock. A thread was tied around the breech block tightly and the gun would be fired. The unbroken thread showed the breech block had no tendency to pop open as it would on the H&R model. 4. Because the Pedersoli TD uses all Ped. tooling and design improvements, none of the Ped. parts are expected to fit the H&R model. 5. All Pedersoli BP ctg. rifles (including our TD models) are proof tested at 35,000 psi chamber pressures by the Italian National Proof House. On the web site (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) in the tech. articles section, you can see some articles about our proof testing as well as articles and photos of the factory operations and proof house operations. 6. Commercial 45-70 ammo produces approx. 16,000-24,000 psi chamber pressure (depending upon which maker and loading is tested). The lower pressure is thought to be safe in original guns while the higher pressure is known to be safe in modern steel replica guns. Our Pedersoli Trapdoor models are allowed to use reloaded ammo (smokeless or black powder) which can be up to 29,000 psi. Only reload using "printed" pressure, powder charge and bullet weight data provided by the powder mfr. WARNING..... original guns will have sustained metalurgical changes in the structure of the steel in their actions and parts. They may sustain failure if fired using pressures beyond their current strength. We have no way of knowing the strength limits of such original guns which may also have sustained excessive chamber pressures in past years. Therefore, if original guns are to be fired, keep chamber pressures moderate to low. Davide Pedersoli & Co. Dick Trenk

IP Logged

buffalobreath
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks, guys, for clearing up this issue.

Mike

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 11:20am
Print Post  
It has been some years now so I'm not sure I'll get this right but I had one of the very early Pedersoli trapdoors, a rifle I think.  The load would have been 13 grains of Unique behind a 300 grain linotype SAECO #015 bullet.  That is not a fire breather.  Once in a while when you fired the gun the trapdoor would pop open the the case would be thrown out.  I don't now remember if this happened once and I stopped shooting the gun or what.  I do remember that one case so ejected with such force that I never found it.  Where I shoot is an old stone quary and that could would have had to go some considerable distance for me not to find it.  I seem to remember at the time that this problem was thought to only affect the first of these guns.  That it was solved pretty early on.

As I was getting interested in one of these again I asked here if this problem had gone away.  I also asked what to look for at the Shot Show when I examined one of these guns.

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys
The trapdoor forum answered my questions, Now I know how to fix a problem I haven't had yet and don't want. I will pin the cam to the shaft on my H&R trapdoor.
Thanks again
Tom

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Where is the trapdoor forum?

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
You can find the forum at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks guys
The trapdoor forum answered my questions, Now I know how to fix a problem I haven't had yet and don't want. I will pin the cam to the shaft on my H&R trapdoor.
Thanks again
Tom

Screwloose, where on that sight did you find the answer?  I found their search function rather frustrating.

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I just kind of muddled through it. There is a lot of information there on the H&Rs.
tom

IP Logged

buffalobreath
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 11:22am
Print Post  
For the record, last weekend I fired my new Pedersoli Springfield Trapdoor carbine and the weapon performed flawlessly.

I shot the Goex Black Dawge black powder 405 grain .45-70 cartridges.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint