Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Favourite Small Martini Chamberings (C/F) (Read 23894 times)
Tentman
Ex Member

Favourite Small Martini Chamberings (C/F)
Jan 17th, 2006 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Hello Guys

I' love to hear what your favourite c/f cartridges are for the small (cadet 12/15 etc) size Martinis, why and what use they are put to eg hunting, target, plinking etc.

Cheers - Foster

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Favourite Small Martini Chamberings (C/F)
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I have a 12-15 converted to centerfire with a .357 Maximum chamber, set up for breechseating as a Schuetzen rifle.  I'm building another as a .30 cal. 32-20 for my wife, also as a Schuetzen.  I have a Vickers that started life as a .22 l.r., and is now a Hornet with a Belgian proofed centerfire breechblock.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
.310 Greener (.310 Cadet)....of course. All round fun.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 4:04am
Print Post  
I have 30-20, 22 hornet (both in 12/15's), 310 cadet and 38-40.  The last one is a bit big for the barrel shank though.
30-20 (32-20, but with 30-cal barrel) is probably the most versatile, but 22 Hornet is also lots of fun...
They do all have 1 thing in common :  They are accurate!
I'm still thinking of building a .310 match ifle though, and a 30-30 Wesson BP one for midrange work, so many projects...

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 10:28am
Print Post  
One almost completed in 256 Win Mag, one in process in 225 Win. My friend George the Knifemaker has Cadets in Hornet, Mashburn Bee, 25-35 Ackley Improved, 30 Herrett, 357 Herrett, 30-30 and 44 Mag. He wants to build one in Improved Zipper or Wasp.

I've thought seriously about 223 Rem with a Snapp rimless extractor but have heard mixed reviews of this conversion. Also thought about a switch-bbl in 225 Win, 7-30 Waters and 35/30-30 or some such.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Forgot to add that George just got another one from 
Thad Scott in 44-40. Cute little thing. Joe

IP Logged

Duck_Rider
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Have a Model 12 in 17 Javelina, a 'Cadet' in 218 Mashburn Bee and an orginal 'Cadet' in 310. They are all a blast to shoot.

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 10:15am
Print Post  
The cadets have been converted into many, many small game cartridges here. .222 rimmed was very popular, .22LR, .22 hornet, .17 Hornet, .357 mag, .32-20 and .310 can still be located fairly easily. Cheap too.

I have a little cadet in .22k hornet. I love the little rifle. Its main use is shooting Rabbits, Fox and Crow here on the ranch. I was chasing a .218 bee improved, but this came up and the price was too cheap to resist. I don`t regret it, as it is relatively quiet, little recoil, standard hornet ammo is available in about any gun shop and cases are plentiful and cheap to buy. I needed something to bridge the gap between the .22 LR and my .243 for small game and this fits the bill perfectly.

Cam...

IP Logged

B1acksmith
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 10:03am
Print Post  
I have a cased Greener Sharpshooter Rifle in .310 and it shoots better than I do.  If you want to see what a .310 can do read "The Plater Incident" at the 1908 Olympics ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)). 80 shots at 50 and 100 yds in gust and rain for a 391 out of 400 in less than 30 minutes.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I have a small framed Belgium Martini rook rifle. It's chambered for the 230 Morris Long, which was the world's first centerfire .22 caliber. 
I form the little Morris from .22 Hornet cases, and it runs at velocities around 1,000-1,200 fps. I love plinking with it, but I've also taken a few small critters too.
This is the Morris next to a .25-20 WCF.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

AkMike
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I've got 2 cadets also. 1 in 218 Mashburn and a 357 mag. Both are fun little rifles.

IP Logged

Richardwv
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:14am
Print Post  
I have two cadets, one in .310 Cadet and the other in 297/230 Morris long, plus a Mod 12 converted to .22 Hornet.  Of the three, the Morris is definitely the most interesting. Easy to see what inspired it as the training round for the 577/450.

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 6:51am
Print Post  
I have Martini's in 22WRM, 17 Ack Hornet, 17/222 Rimmed, 218 Mashburn Bee, 222 Rimmed, 310 Cadet and 32/20 Win. 

The best conversion I've seen is a 12/15 in 5.6x50 Mag fitted with a rimless extractor and topped with a 3.5-10x Leupold.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I have two centerfires small frames....one in .357 mag and one that is just getting the finishing touches....in .223 remington with a Snapp extractor.  I'll post pics when it is done.

PS: I'm new to the forum, but a regular and moderator on the Martini Henry Forum over on British Militaria Forums.  Nice to see a few of the regulars here!

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Martininut, I'm comtemplating a 223 Cadet with Snapp extractor but have heard that the 223 cartridge sometimes has sticky extraction in the Cadet. Can you provide further info?
TIA, Joe

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Not sticky, just extracts without ejecting.  The problem lies with the rimless extractor.  As the case is relatively long for the action, the tension from the spring loaded extractor pushing up on the cartridge keeps it from popping out.  It extracts about a 3rd of the way.  It easily flicks out with a fingernail.  Bob Snapp has been building the .223 cadet for years and has had no complaints!  It is a minor incovenience that I am more than willing to put up with for such a sweet, light little varmint gun! Grin

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Craig,

Are you saying the Snapp extractor only extracts the case 1/3 of the way?

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:12am
Print Post  
DD,

It does in mine.  It doesnt surprise me, looking at the design of the extractor.  There is a fair amount of spring tension in it.  Jim Wasmundt makes an extractor that is on the left side of the chamber and pivots on an arm....he says his will eject....he likes his design much better than Snapps.  He is going to be building the next rimless one I do, so I will be going with his extractor.  I'm collecting the parts I need for a 9mm rook rifle......

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Craig, many thanks for the feedback on the Snapp extractor. I like an ejecting Martini and this info is just what I needed to make my decision. Could you please supply contact info for the fellow who makes the side-hinged one?
Thanks again, Joe

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
The gunsmith is Jim Wasmundt and he is listed on my internet resource list for Martini's at : (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I'm not complaining about Mr. Snapp's extractor.....I love my little .223.  It is giving me under an inch at 100 with just normal Winchester 55grn ball ammo.  When she gets back from the stock finisher, I'll try some of the match stuff!

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #21 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I have 5 cadet martini's in various calibers but I always seem to pull the 17 Ackley Bee off the shelf when it comes time to shoot them. I had my first 17 Ackley Bee built in 1964 by Ackley and still love to shoot it. It is an awsome caliber and devistates small varmits.
Bill

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Who can you recommend for RF to CF conversion of a 22 LR action?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

COLONEL
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
JIM WASMUNDT, just did a 12/15 to 221fireball and it ejects the case. vvery nice work. regards,ben.

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Do you have contact innformation for Jim?

thanks,

Allen

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Jim Wasmundt
P O Box 130
140 Alder St.
Powers, Oregon 97466
USA
541-439-2044

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Thank  you for the help

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #27 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Cool My favorite is a 5.6x50 Rimmed Mag. No BS with forming cases or major extractor mods. on a Cadet.

I've also got a .357 Mag. rebore and a .221 "project".

Is the Snapp extractor still available, or is someone else making them?

Good shooting.

IP Logged

dondford
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
I shoot a 17 Ackley Bee, 218 Bee, 20 Raven (20 VT rimmed & blown) and a 35-30/30, all on Cadet actions.  All perform very well; the 20 Raven get a little "stickly" with heavy loads, but I am shhoting a 32 gr. bullet at around 3750 fps with it.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 10:35am
Print Post  
I have been reading these threads with great interest. However, why is it that  no one seems to mention "small game" calibers. Everything is power, power, speed, speed....

We have many more opportunities to hunt small game is most parts ot the country. We have many more "targets" and a days outing gives us many more shots at game (excepting prairie dogs and the like) and the fare is certainly table grade. What's the matter with us Roll Eyes?

Further, small game rounds are nicer to practice shoot with. They use cast bullets so the cost per shot is low. The accuracy demands are modest, so we can use gang moulds to make our bullet production, well, PRODUCTIVE Grin. Most small game rounds are small which makes actions like the small Martini especially practical. I am thinking of rounds like the .25 WCF, or .25 Single Shot, or even the .32 H&R or .32/20. There are others. We are talking EDIBLE small game. That means rabbits and squirrels in my neck of the woods.

Hm-m-m-m, sounds like an article to me Cheesy

What say you?

Dale53
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2006 at 10:54am by Dale53 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I have four small frame Martinis: 2 .22 rimfire (12/15 and a Mod 13 TD). a K-Hornet, and a .218 Bee.   The K- Hornet and the Bee both could be loaded with cast bullets for small game hunting.  However, I do not cast and have not been able to find any supplier of .22 cast bullets so I cannot try these loads.  Had the same problem with the 25-20 WCF and 25-20SS that I owned - no suitable bullets.

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #31 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Seems we think alike. As an aside, the Asheville club will be sponsoring a Small Game  Match next week in the match program. The idea being to limber up those small game guns not really suitable for schuetzen but longing to be fired. Same idea as you, small capacity 25's, 32-20 etc. There's a lot of really nice single shots in collections that aren't suitable for schuetzen but could sure be a lot of fun.

IP Logged

cmjr2
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Current chamberings include 17 Squirrel, 17 Ackley Bee, 22K Hornet, 218 Mashburn, 222 Rimmed, 225 Win, and 357Mag. Have actions and barrels for a 256Mag, 6x222R, and 17 Ackley Hornet but unfortunately my desires for these 3 are overcome by my lack of funding  Smiley. Just a minor inconvenience I'm working on.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 12:04am
Print Post  
>>>However, I do not cast and have not been able to find any supplier of .22 cast bullets so I cannot try these loads.  Had the same problem with the 25-20 WCF and 25-20SS that I owned - no suitable bullets.<<<

Shame, shame, shame... Sad.

Actually, you have more than enough reason to start casting bullets. Be absolutely independent from any fickle supplies. All you need is a casting pot, bullet mould for each caliber you need, and some wheelweights and you are in business. Look at my recent series on cast bullets in the recent Single Shot Rifle Journals. I give you many tips for gettting started casting bullets "Without  Selling the Farm". It acutally becomes a secondary hobby.

Dale53

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Shame, shame, shame... Sad.

Actually, you have more than enough reason to start casting bullets. Be absolutely independent from any fickle supplies. All you need is a casting pot, bullet mould for each caliber you need, and some wheelweights and you are in business. Look at my recent series on cast bullets in the recent Single Shot Rifle Journals. I give you many tips for gettting started casting bullets "Without  Selling the Farm". It acutally becomes a secondary hobby.

Many years ago when linotype was both a alloy and a machine, I was employed as a printers devil.  One of my duties was to spend many a Saturday morning casting several tons of linotype slugs back into pigs to feed the machinery of a free press.  I have the scars to prove it.  No offence to hobby casters, but it is not something I want to do.  I am told that casting small bullets is a pain and that there is some difficulty in getting a good cast.  I can understand that only too well.  Rather than start a new hobby, I am willing to purchase a supply from someone who has them at a fair price. No offence intended to all the hobby casters out there, but I feel no shame either.  Had I known at the time that the stuff might be worth something, I would have tucked a couple of tons aside for future use.  I did learn to read up-side-down and backwords (read the lead) which has proved very handy in later years so the job wasn't all bad.  2520

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Actually, I do understand, 25/20. I was just "yanking your chain". However, I have had few problems casting small bullets (.25 or even .22's). I will admit that I use Linotype for these. Small bullets use very little metal and linotype, as you know, is THE metal for good "fill out" with minimal problems. I have a good bit of lino and don't mind using up a bit fro these bullets.

However, I think that WW's with 2% tin would work well, also, going by my past experience (rather extensive) with other cast bullets.

At any rate, good luck with trying to find good bullets. Some are out there and if I run into a recommended source, I will link you up.

Dale53

IP Logged

dznnf7
Participating Member

Reply #36 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 4:17pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #37 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 10:26am
Print Post  
www.customcastbullets.

Just what I was looking for.  Many thanks.  My K-Hornet is out for a rebuild.  When it returns I will have some new ammo for it.  2520

IP Logged

SWAMP FOX
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Working a deal on a 12-15 in 7-30 Waters. The model 13 in 22rf sure are neat .

IP Logged

SWAMP FOX
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 12:45am
Print Post  
My K-Hornet is out for a rebuild.

2520  Who would you have doing this work? I think a thin side Martini in K Hornet and very slim for walk about. Your statement above caught me as if you had worn one out.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #40 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Swamp Fox:  Not worn out, rebarrelled and restocked to a lighter configuration.  As originally built, it was more like a bench rest rifle with a real truck axel (1.1.") barrel and a heavily made stock.  The original rifle with the scope weighed about 12 pounds and was only about 35" long.  The rebuilt rifle will have a longer, lighter barrel and a some what sleeker stock.  Hope to get it down to around 7 pounds scoped or there abouts.

IP Logged

SWAMP FOX
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I hope to build a K H on a small martini soon. been talking to Jim Wasmundt about one and also the 7-30 waters sought of neat little guns.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint