Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Favourite Small Martini Chamberings (C/F) (Read 23888 times)
Ex Member

Re: Favourite Small Martini Chamberings (C/F)
Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I have four small frame Martinis: 2 .22 rimfire (12/15 and a Mod 13 TD). a K-Hornet, and a .218 Bee.   The K- Hornet and the Bee both could be loaded with cast bullets for small game hunting.  However, I do not cast and have not been able to find any supplier of .22 cast bullets so I cannot try these loads.  Had the same problem with the 25-20 WCF and 25-20SS that I owned - no suitable bullets.

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #31 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Seems we think alike. As an aside, the Asheville club will be sponsoring a Small Game  Match next week in the match program. The idea being to limber up those small game guns not really suitable for schuetzen but longing to be fired. Same idea as you, small capacity 25's, 32-20 etc. There's a lot of really nice single shots in collections that aren't suitable for schuetzen but could sure be a lot of fun.

IP Logged

cmjr2
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Current chamberings include 17 Squirrel, 17 Ackley Bee, 22K Hornet, 218 Mashburn, 222 Rimmed, 225 Win, and 357Mag. Have actions and barrels for a 256Mag, 6x222R, and 17 Ackley Hornet but unfortunately my desires for these 3 are overcome by my lack of funding  Smiley. Just a minor inconvenience I'm working on.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 12:04am
Print Post  
>>>However, I do not cast and have not been able to find any supplier of .22 cast bullets so I cannot try these loads.  Had the same problem with the 25-20 WCF and 25-20SS that I owned - no suitable bullets.<<<

Shame, shame, shame... Sad.

Actually, you have more than enough reason to start casting bullets. Be absolutely independent from any fickle supplies. All you need is a casting pot, bullet mould for each caliber you need, and some wheelweights and you are in business. Look at my recent series on cast bullets in the recent Single Shot Rifle Journals. I give you many tips for gettting started casting bullets "Without  Selling the Farm". It acutally becomes a secondary hobby.

Dale53

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Shame, shame, shame... Sad.

Actually, you have more than enough reason to start casting bullets. Be absolutely independent from any fickle supplies. All you need is a casting pot, bullet mould for each caliber you need, and some wheelweights and you are in business. Look at my recent series on cast bullets in the recent Single Shot Rifle Journals. I give you many tips for gettting started casting bullets "Without  Selling the Farm". It acutally becomes a secondary hobby.

Many years ago when linotype was both a alloy and a machine, I was employed as a printers devil.  One of my duties was to spend many a Saturday morning casting several tons of linotype slugs back into pigs to feed the machinery of a free press.  I have the scars to prove it.  No offence to hobby casters, but it is not something I want to do.  I am told that casting small bullets is a pain and that there is some difficulty in getting a good cast.  I can understand that only too well.  Rather than start a new hobby, I am willing to purchase a supply from someone who has them at a fair price. No offence intended to all the hobby casters out there, but I feel no shame either.  Had I known at the time that the stuff might be worth something, I would have tucked a couple of tons aside for future use.  I did learn to read up-side-down and backwords (read the lead) which has proved very handy in later years so the job wasn't all bad.  2520

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Actually, I do understand, 25/20. I was just "yanking your chain". However, I have had few problems casting small bullets (.25 or even .22's). I will admit that I use Linotype for these. Small bullets use very little metal and linotype, as you know, is THE metal for good "fill out" with minimal problems. I have a good bit of lino and don't mind using up a bit fro these bullets.

However, I think that WW's with 2% tin would work well, also, going by my past experience (rather extensive) with other cast bullets.

At any rate, good luck with trying to find good bullets. Some are out there and if I run into a recommended source, I will link you up.

Dale53

IP Logged

dznnf7
Participating Member

Reply #36 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #37 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 10:26am
Print Post  
www.customcastbullets.

Just what I was looking for.  Many thanks.  My K-Hornet is out for a rebuild.  When it returns I will have some new ammo for it.  2520

IP Logged

SWAMP FOX
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Working a deal on a 12-15 in 7-30 Waters. The model 13 in 22rf sure are neat .

IP Logged

SWAMP FOX
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 12:45am
Print Post  
My K-Hornet is out for a rebuild.

2520  Who would you have doing this work? I think a thin side Martini in K Hornet and very slim for walk about. Your statement above caught me as if you had worn one out.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #40 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Swamp Fox:  Not worn out, rebarrelled and restocked to a lighter configuration.  As originally built, it was more like a bench rest rifle with a real truck axel (1.1.") barrel and a heavily made stock.  The original rifle with the scope weighed about 12 pounds and was only about 35" long.  The rebuilt rifle will have a longer, lighter barrel and a some what sleeker stock.  Hope to get it down to around 7 pounds scoped or there abouts.

IP Logged

SWAMP FOX
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I hope to build a K H on a small martini soon. been talking to Jim Wasmundt about one and also the 7-30 waters sought of neat little guns.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint