Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic LIGHT WEIGHT DEER RIFLE?? (Read 4422 times)
JAR___HEAD
Ex Member

LIGHT WEIGHT DEER RIFLE??
Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
I'M  LOOKIN FOR A LIGHTWEIGHT DEER RIFLE 243,OR 270...COULD ANY OF YOU GUYS POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?????.THANKS,....Alex.........

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: LIGHT WEIGHT DEER RIFLE??
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Assuming you're looking for a single shot, something modern (from the calibers) and something functional and accurate - look at the New England Firearms.  Mine is in 45-70, shotguns also available.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
the Miroku/Browning/winchester Lo-Wall was made in .260 Rem for a while.  I'd give my left-----big toe or something------for one of them as a light but VERY effective deer/woods walking  rifle

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JAR___HEAD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
THANKS,  ALOT,........I'M LOOKIN  AT THE  NEW  ENGLAND  ARMS.NOW,......  I DON'T CARE IF IT'S A SINGLE  SHOT,..OR..NOT.....THE WAY I SEE IT,.............THE FIRST  SHOT,SHOULD BE THE ONLY  SHOT... Wink

IP Logged

Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
The NEI "Handy Rifles" I've seen lately have such a heavy barrel they no longer seem "Handy".
A T/C Encore with a 24" barrel might fill the bill.
Best,
Mike
Central Va.

IP Logged

TimK
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 9:15am
Print Post  
You may want to look for a used Ruger #1.  They come in most calibers.  I just found a used Ruger #3, 45/70, at a local gun store and I'm trying to get the owner down in price.  I got a deer last year with my Ruger #3, 30/40 K, and it's always been a good shooter.  The H&R is the best value.  I have a Buffalo Special, 45/70, and I get great groups, until it gets to hot.  The 25/06, with the 26" barrel, would be a very good choice for most any deer situation.  Tim K

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You may want to look for a used Ruger #1.  They come in most calibers.  I just found a used Ruger #3, 45/70, at a local gun store and I'm trying to get the owner down in price.  I got a deer last year with my Ruger #3, 30/40 K, and it's always been a good shooter.  The H&R is the best value.  I have a Buffalo Special, 45/70, and I get great groups, until it gets to hot.  The 25/06, with the 26" barrel, would be a very good choice for most any deer situation.  Tim K

I generally agree!  I've had a #1 in 25-06 and have them in .375H&H and .458WM.  They're a little heavier than the NEF/H&R but still VERY good shootin' irons.  The 'extra' weight just adds to the stability of the platform.  I also had a Canjar set trigger on the .25-06 which made it usefull as well for varmints.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint