Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need help on a High Wall (Read 2817 times)
roger_winn
Ex Member

Need help on a High Wall
Dec 1st, 2005 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I recently purchased a high wall and it came with a letter from Cody stating that it was in the configuration that it is in today - 30" round #3 barrel in 32-40, and it is stamped 32-40 under the spring where it should be. What is curious is that stamped in scrip just in front of the spring perch is the name S. C. Kingman and 1892 running on a diagonal and a 2 behind that.
I am hoping that someone has some info on who this is and/or the significance of this name, if any.
                      Thanks Roger Winn

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: Need help on a High Wall
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
The name Captain S.C. Kingman appears in the index for The Rifle Magazine of 1886, Page 17, but I can find no information about him on that page.

IP Logged

e15cap
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Thanx Pope - at last some place to start.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Roger,

I guess Pope didn't look close enuf to Kingman's reference in "The Rifle" magazine.

In the June 1885 issue Kingman is listed as a Capt. in the Conn. Natl. Guard. The reference is to his placing and scores he shot at their meeting. He's listed as "Capt. and I.R.S.P., S.C. Kingman, 4th Regt.".

Along with several others it appears as tho he shot some of the best scores for the year. He tied for 3rd place with three others.

The rifles used at these matches were Trapdoors and Peabody's, along with a platoon of machine guns. So if this is the person named on your gun then your rifle would probably be a personal weapon. Considering his expertise with the service rifle he might have used it in other matches.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint