Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LUBE FORMULA`S (Read 202926 times)
stebbinsgr
Ex Member

Re: LUBE FORMULA`S - Barlow's Bullet Lube
Reply #45 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
This is out of my Grandfather's Notebook (Alfred Louis Stebbins).  It is a recipe from Harry M. Pope.  

Barlow's Bullet Lubricant (Recommended by H.M. Pope)

Mutton Tallow 6 oz (Chop, warm and strain through a tea strainer)
Bee's Wax 2 oz
Bay (Berry) Wax 4 oz
Steam Cylinder Oil 2 oz
Acheson Electric Graphite #2301, 2 heaping tablespoons full (about 170 grains)

Melt all together slowly.  Pour about 1/2 inch deep in a pan while stirring to keep graphite from settling and allow to cool.

Break up in to pieces after cooled and hardened and and put into lube pump.

Graphite made by Acheson Graphite Co., Niagara Falls, NY.

I have no idea where one might get steam cylinder oil today or mutton tallow unless you know a sheep farmer.  I am sure powdered graphite can be found.

Gary

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Re: LUBE FORMULA`S - Barlow's Bullet Lube
Reply #46 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:

<snip>
I have no idea where one might get steam cylinder oil today 

Where else but (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) .  I kid you not.
Quote:

or mutton tallow unless you know a sheep farmer.  

Sheep farmers aren't too hard to find.  Finding one even in suburbanized Connecticut wasn't hard.  For a few dollars I got a lifetime supply.  Go around Easter when they are, ah, "processing" lots of lambs.  Ask for fat from around the kidneys, which is supposed to be best.  I ran mine through a meat grinder and then simmered the result in water to extract the tallowy goodness.
Quote:

I am sure powdered graphite can be found.
Gary

Powdered graphite is easy to find, but it's usually of indifferent quality.  I believe that Pope's recipe called for "finest" grade Acheson graphite, what would today probably be called colloidal graphite.  The finest grade powdered graphite I can find is here (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) , but you better be sitting down before you read further...Okay, I warned you... it's $450 for a pound;  smaller amounts are much more per lb.  Acheson makes a product called Oildag, an oil mixed with colloidal graphite, which I believe Pope approved as a substitute.  But if you use Oildag, I would think that it might be best to skip the steam cylinder oil, or the lube might be too soft.
Doug

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: LUBE FORMULA`S
Reply #47 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Try replacing the steam cylinder oil with the IXL anti-friction metal conditioner (it is an oil) which is used to increase the lubricity of other oils.
Or pick up some Alberta Schuetzen lube which has other undisclosed additives.

IP Logged

French Jack
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
What I have been using for the past several years, in all kinds of weather, and has proven to have excellent shelf life is as follows:

8 oz. Beeswax, 1/3 cup Crisco (original solid ), and 1 cake of Neutrogena Original Formula soap. 

Melt the beeswax and then stir in Crisco.  Shave soap into mix and stir to dissolve any lumps.  Decant into glass containers (pint canning jars) and allow to harden.  Easy to remelt in microwave and good for pan lubing, or pour into lube sizer or lube pump.

The Crisco can be adjusted to meet specific needs.  Can be remelted indefinitely.   

Just my .02 centavos

IP Logged

deadtree
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
The lube I have gotten to use is:
1/3 Bees wax
1/3 Murphy's oil soap
1/3 Neets Foot oil

I like how it controls and keeps soft black powder fouling. The Murphy's saponifies the oil--makes soap. I adjust the bees wax a bit for weather-- hot vs cold. Smells like a baseball glove.

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Iwas reading in the pages before of why use lanolin?I've used for sizing brass,very lightly or you will krinkle.I would try it on lead and experiment till  I see results.I read that petroleum products are used.If there working use them.I've got access to both pure mink oil.Emu extract,Pure lanolin,rendered bear lard.I am bound to stumble on something.What ever works. Iwill share my ideas.They all make good water repellancy on metal,leather,wood polish.Cant beat nature.I can direct you to the suppliers.You dont want nothing with acid or salt in it.Email me if you want.  fwierus@excel.net    Frank Smiley Wink

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Sunday Nov 7th,I and some friends up in Crivitz,Wi.,shot the 44-100.Put a 100 rds. thru it.Varied loads from 105 grains of fffg,down to 85 grains 0f 2fg.all the loads were a compressed charge.We chronied at 1535fpm,down to 1425fpm.A 545gr and 525gr was used.SPG lube was used and 50wax,25%bears lard,25%lanolin were used.Slightly dry with the homade stuff.200yds,20mph crosswind,we held  5 in groups on an ASSRA target.Cleaned out the bore just with wads,checked out the bore,no leading.I run a patch every time I shot the waxed bullet.A bad buildup of wax.It looks like it needs more lard.Does any  one have any suggestions?    Frank    Sad Sad Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #52 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 8:36am
Print Post  
One of the advantages of using lanolin is that your lube will not dry out. Many lubes will dry out and crack, but adding just a tablespoon or two per pound will keep the lube supple for well over a year. 
  Has anyone tried just dumping a bottle of mould prep in the mix in stead of the hard to find colloidal graphite? All mould prep is is graphite suspended in a thinner. I would think that just dumping it in the mix and boiling off the thinner would work.

40 Rod

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
I am bound to stumble on something.What ever works.

Frank, may want to try meadow foam oil instead of anhydrous lanolin.  Both have nearly the same hydrogen-carbon chains but meadow foam has a few more hydrogen chains.  Plus, if you can find mutton tallow, not the slurry stuff but the tallow that is an ivory white color processed from the fat around the kidneys of sheep, use it.  Mutton tallow will produce a near moist foul when the Relative Humidity is less than 40% but not nearly as moist when the RH is greater than 40%

Bayberry wax and micro crystaline wax are also good ingredients in a lube concoction

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
This is getting interesting.The MinkOil co added lanolin to there product,and other natural additives.I sized my 45-100 brass and it is slick.Now if that works between brass and tool steel,it should work between lead and the bore.One thing,the bear lard works on skin allergies such as exema and machine coolant redness.Ive done this just to see what was done in the old days shooting muzzloaders.I've got 24lbs of that bears lard in the refridge.Good for cooking and baking.I'm sticking with SPG,for now.Need some lard let me know.This is the best topic.   Frank  Wink Wink

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
My lube formula, 50% paraffin or bees wax (whichever I can get) 40% alox, 10% mink oil from a kiwi can (as it has an unknown amount of Lanolin in it)

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I got a weird one for you.  1 part beeswax, 1 part alox, and 1 part Corona horse ointment.  Hasn"t failed me yet in any condition.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I like Mr Rabbeths old recipie or a vervsion of it, 1 part cylinder oil and 4 parts bees wax, and I add just enough cosmoline to make it tacky. sticks to the slugs real good and will not run in hot weather. Steam cylinder oil is availibe from a couple of places. Here is whee I get mine.
Mike

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #58 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Hello, Years ago, I used to purchase Synthetic Spermaceti wax from Charlie Dell,  Is this stuff still available?  The last time I checked, had to buy 50# drum.
   Over the holiday, I was experimenting mixing various lubes..wanted to find one without the spermaceti..in case I couldn't find more.
  Came up with a nice soft-smooth textured lube..probably good for B.P., grease cookie...or anti skin-cracking cream!
200 pts. pure beeswax
100 pts. castor oil
50 pts. anhydrous lanolin
    Haven't tried it yet.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
In the 90's when I shot slug guns, the guys that got me into it, wouldn't turn loose of there sperm oil (other than about 2 oz that I got with the gun I bought) and told me to use automatic transmission oil. 

The reason was that original auto trans oil was sperm oil so, you can say that it is a synthetic sperm oil. It seemed to work in that application.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Send TopicPrint