Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LUBE FORMULA`S (Read 203027 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: LUBE FORMULA`S
Reply #30 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 8:20am
Print Post  
slik.  I'm pretty unscientific.  I added enough until it looked right (?) I also dropped in some of the red sealing wax from the top of a well-known bourbon bottle thoug it took a long time for the red wax to completely melt into the mix.  On my 45-70 bullets (457676 lyman Matthews tapered bullet) I have just panlubed.  I have a B&D bullet they made for me that is the same bullet but scaled down for my 38-55.  I pan lube for it.
I also have a different batch of the same lube that has has had a small amount of moly grease(sacrelidge I know--but sacred cows make the best burger) added that I have used on the 38-55 bullet in both pan-lubing and in a pope/dell/simmons lube pump.  The lube pump has a bushing cut especially for the specific bullet. It is still a little stiff for use in the lube pump a and before the next EG match I'll probably add some more Corona to it to soften it up a bit.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Slick4k
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Are you using this lube over black powder or that smokeless stuff on your cast bullets?
Thanks,
Slick4k

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I have used it with both, but mostly I shoot smokeless in schuetzen now.  I used it some with BP a couple of years ago  when I was first getting re-started in singleshot.  I'll probably do it again latet this summer of the BP leg of the All-American match
Made it up with the Corona and less beeswax than Im using now so it was softer and a bit stickier.  It gave me a good lube star on the muzzle and a decent bore I was using a blow tube but here on the downwind side of Lake Michigan humidities tend to run high

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Slick4k
Ex Member

Re: LUBE FORMULA"S
Reply #33 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Here's a recipe I've used.  Got it out of one of Paul Matthews books. 
   8 oz. beeswax, 8 oz. pure neats foot oil, and 2 oz of Lube Gard, available at NAPA auto parts store. Works great as a pan lube and over black powder.
Slick4k

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #34 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I have tried various versions of many of the above mentioned formulas. Nothing like that shaved soap foaming as you try to melt it! It's got to be REAL dry. Some one mentioned concentrated liquid, I might try it.
One thing I have tried and seemed to work well in the Emmerts type lube is virgin olive oil instead of canola. It seems to be e little "thinner" but gave the finish product a little more slippery feel. I shot some of my best groups with it. 
I really prefer just to buy SPG, it has not failed me. But as much muzzle stuffing and smith carbine shooting as I do at the N-SSA it gets expensive. ( No Offensive Steve! )Those .58's hold a lot of lube and lube is super imortant when you are not wiping for 20 or 30 shots. We shoot against the clock, and the clock is part of the score.
The emmerts is nice because you adjust beeswax content for time of year. The Feb. formula is a real mess in August and the August formula is too hard in Feb.
Anyway, The beeswax, crisco, and olive oil has worked in my BP cartridge guns. I did mixed one with a little lanolin on top and seemed ok but never really kept track of it, just used it for plinking. Jon

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
... and now for the Grand Daddy of All Lube Lists!  Here is a VOLUMNOUS Listing of historical and current lubes, collected and assembled from a long list of BP shooters.  No White Powder lubes on the list.  So, grab a cold drink, a comfortable chair and Enjoy the List:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

While reading this thread, noticed that no one is using Jojoba Oil.  It has been chemically tested to have superior qualities than whale oil - the old time favorite ingredient

IP Logged

vlad
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 4:48am
Print Post  
After Charlie Dell built my 32-357 about 10 years ago (i'm from Oz) he sent me some samples of his lube, after using up the 36M and 59C, i experimented with a variation of 59C as I could not obtain stearate in small quantities in Australia. I use the lube for black powder and smokeless with good results.
30% Beeswax 20% Spermacetti wax 30% lanalon and 20% castor oil (by weight)

IP Logged

Gunman 100
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
To day I have being shooting my Rollingblock on the 300 mtr range.
Group : 300 mm - 17 shots.
My lube ? Molycote longtherm W2 ! nothing more and nothing less I wipe the bore between shots , works super ! 
Summer and winter from -30 Celcius up to 110 Celcius always steady Smiley
It contains lithiumsoap I guess that's the trick

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I will be doing some pan lubing for the first time in about 25 years. What I used back then was the parafin, vaseline and RCBS case lube. It worked OK except it tended to fall off the bullets if you werent real careful, I never did use it very much so I cannot really recommend or condemn it.  At any rate, I will be starting to shoot a tapered bullet so I guess I am going to have to go back to pan lubing.  I have had good luck with Alox in all my cast bullets, Schuetzen and gascheck, and was thinking about the Alox beeswax formula. The Dell book states it might not work well after being melted, I noticed some people in this thread mentioned the alox pan lube, has anyone had any problems with it in smokeless loads? Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Your Vaseline/paraffin/STP lube is too HARD. Soften with more wax. I'm still shooting a batch of this lube I made up 40 years ago. Too much is made of bullet lubes, any waxie material will work at velocities under 1500fs with smokeless powder. Beleive me I've tried alot of lubes and stuff that was never intended to be bullet lube like all types of furniture paste wax, don't ever use automotive wax though, you will screw your barrel up for a while.  Some lubes stay soft longer in the barrel, this is dependent on barrel temp. this is important. If your breechseating bullets, seat the bullet before the barrel cools from previous shot, if fouling is left to harden, stripping (not leading) is more likely to occur. Actually, very little lube is required, lots of shooters (most of them) winning ASSRA matches are using 3 groovers. None of them are using the same lube, so it ain't the lube that getz-ya 250's. It is important that all the grease grooves are full though, regardless of the Babypoop/frogtallow  Shockedlube your using. (Froggie, I've never actually tried frog tallow, have heard of those less fauna sensitive than myself have Cry. No frogs were ever harmed during my tests.) My advise put more grease on your wind vanes not on your bullets! Cool
Hey! Why don't you get creative and make up a batch of mysterioum then you can put your name on it, its a very popular thing to do. Grin
7~
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2008 at 8:21am by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
waterman
You might try these guys, they sell two different grades of Jojoba oil.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
guys I have used these two for years and they both work well
cheers for the new year
irish
p.s. hope this loads!!!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 21 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Jan 2nd, 2009 at 7:16am
Print Post  
well it is winter GREEN....
oil of wintergreen is a preservative, and helps keep the crissco from souring, and like you said it smells good so one will not have a mad wife around when in the kitchen lubing. 
and that is a little important Smiley
Its also one of those things that some one who had been doing this a lot longer than i have told me do it this way and it works so thats what i do.
happy new year
irish

IP Logged

sako300m
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jan 3rd, 2009 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 3rd, 2009 at 9:53am:
I added a product called Sil Glide to a batch of lube once. When I shot the rifle it looked like long strings of cobwebs hanging out of the muzzle. It was a Silicone based product.  It didnt work at all and I had to throw that batch of lube away.   Grin

Joe Smiley

I used Javelina Alox Beeswax bullet lube made by Schuetzen shooter Jess Smiley in San Bernardino,CA.  I melted it  into an aluminum jello  mold pan & dropped my hot cast 405gr linotype bullets into,worked great for my Rem rolling Block 45-70.

IP Logged

kaotic01
Participating Member

Reply #44 - May 13th, 2009 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Been using the 50/50 bees wax & olive oil lube for a year now with much success. Pan lube works out great. Keeps the fouling down.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Send TopicPrint