Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Malcom Scope Info Sought (Read 3623 times)
dnovo1
Ex Member

Malcom Scope Info Sought
Nov 12th, 2005 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Just acquired (after much effort) a late, and I suspect Overbaugh-built Sharps Borchardt with a 100% and lovely Malcom scope (perfect bluing and markings, along with mounts which appear original to the gun.)  Question is how do I determine magnification on the scope.  It isn't (unless I missed it) marked.  The optics are in great shape and the cross hairs perfectly aligned and crisp.  I don't want to fool with it in any way but how do I determine the magnification other than by Guess or by God?

Help!   Dave

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Malcom Scope Info Sought
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Dave,

I've got the same problem with a coupla scopes I have. I suppose there's a scientific way of doing this, but here's how I do it.

Mount the scope onto something that's solid and set it up so you can comfortably look thru it with both eyes open. You look at an object thru the scope with one eye and focus your other eye on the same object. Usually it's fairly easy to get a pretty good idea of the power by comparing the sizes against each other. This works best with scopes under 10x. Over that it's a guess.

I've never tried it but I suppose you could set up a chart with a square marked on it, and alongside mark off spaces the same distance apart as the square is tall. By looking thru the scope at the square with one eye and comparing that with the column of marks next to it with the other eye, come pretty close I'd imagine.

PETE

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Pete, but the problem here is that it is clearly a relatively low power scope (somewhere in the 4 to 8X range)  and that method of approximation doesn't seem to work.  What little I have been able to find provides some information on the scope and its history, but not on how to differentiate the magnifiication.  Some are marked, but some are (according to the literature I have tracked down) not.  Oh well, I will figure out something.  Dave

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Dave,

That's funny. Low power scopes seem to work the best with what I've described. But actually unless you HAVE to know (match requirements) what the power is it's not of much concern as long as it does what you want.

You could also call one of the Shilouette scope makers or repair outfits and see if they have any ideas. This type scope would be right up their alley. Being an old scope you might also send it off  to one of them and have it cleaned, and they might be able to give you an idea of the power as a side benefit.

PETE

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Dave,

I have two Malcolm scopes and both work very well, one is an 8X the other is 4X. The 8 power is marked on the tube, the 4 power is marked on the brass ring which holds the rear lense. You might very carefully unscrew the rear cap that covers the lense and look at the the little brass ring. The rear lense should unscrew too. Be gentle and don't force anything 'cause the cross hairs will be very near this rear lense.

Bob

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Found it.  It's a 4X.  Thanks.  And is was VERY careful.  Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint