Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic H&R/NEF CR3855 Target (Read 5724 times)
bohemianway
Oldtimer

H&R/NEF CR3855 Target
Oct 25th, 2005 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
With four kids (two righties, two lefties) I broke down and purchased the NEF 38-55 target today. After coupons, rebates, tax, title, and licensing it came to $290.  For this I got the rifle with beautiful wood (and I am a picky #%@&!), Hard sided rifle case, and safety lock.  I will be attempting to load fixed ammo as with my Ballards and because with this group I need to use a progressive loader to keep up.  Plan is to start with Lazer cast 240gr and 18gr 4759. I hope this works otherwise I am in for a long development run.  If annyone has suggestions please let me know.  I currently do not have the time to do serious load development.  If this package works I will let --everyone-- know.  If not the kids will still have fun (without torturing an original single shot.  Actually I can hear the oldies in the safe shaking in fear every time I load up the car for a sesion with the tribe.).

Wish me luck,
and, thank for any advice.
Charlie

GTalk  
IP Logged

AndyZ
Ex Member

Re: H&R/NEF CR3855 Target
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Charlie:
     My best target load for the 38-55 is 16.5 gr of 4759 with a breech seated 310 or 347 gr bullet.  With your fixed ammo you could probably get away with 15.5 gr.  The lighter load will be easier on your Righties and Lefties.  Unless you need power for something.
    Good luck to you and the tribe.                 andyz

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
My shooting amigo bought one of those, thinking to get into the single shot game on a social security budget.  Last week, we took it to the range for the first time.  Factory loads (did not notice box or headstamp) went through the target sideways @ 100 yards.  I provided some new W-W brass and some well-proven cast bullets with a standard sort of 4227 load.  They also went through the target sideways.  Que paso?   

Bewildered behind the redwood curtain

Richard

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Slug the bore. In the past I've found that recent Winchester 38-55 factory loads will keyhole in my ancient Marlin & Winchester lever rifles, while heavy handloads with 0.377" bullets will produce excellent accuracy.
FWIW, Joe

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
While I can't find the post, on one of the other forums I browse, one fellow recently reported his H&R .38-55 had a .381 groove and another chimed in that his was nearly that wide.  Those bullets of yours are listed as .380.  They are hard bullets and might not fill the grooves on your rifle, so serious leading is a concern.

Karl
IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I measured the bore at over .379.  The two youngsters (8 & 10 and my wife) banged away until they used up the daylight and 90 rounds. So, even if it isn't the most accurate, it will keep moral up until I finish better equipment for them.   
I saw many keyholes at 100 yds but they were shooting the 1893 marlin and Ballard #2 also.   

Anyway, I will clean it out soon and see if leading was an issue.   

Also, when the boy did not close the action tight and fired the H&R, the barrel popped open but the case stayed put.

More to come.

GTalk  
IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Careful with that gun, it doesn't sound all that well screwed together, especially if the kids are shooting it.  I'd have the daaler send it back to have it checked out.  Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint