Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Which Cartrige  30-30 Wesson or 32 Miller Sho (Read 4816 times)
dnovo1
Ex Member

Which Cartrige  30-30 Wesson or 32 Miller Sho
Oct 12th, 2005 at 6:05am
Print Post  
Dithering between the two choices listed above, 30-30 Wesson or 32 Miller Short. I am told the Wesson is easier to load, but the Miller is slightly more accurate. I am not planning on breech seating, and shoot more for my own pleasure than in competition. Your thoughts? Dave

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Which Cartrige  30-30 Wesson or 32 Miller Sho
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Dave 
a lot will depend on what action that you use the 32 miller short or the 32X357 Dell is a great cartridge but they can be a pain to load in some actions. The High wall of Borchardt for example, In this I would go with the longer 30-30 Wesson case.  If access to the breach face is not an issue for instance the Cody Ballard or the 44 1/2 action the point is moot and I would go with the 32 Miller. 
Another case that you might consider is the 32-30 Remington.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Dave,

Another consideration might be bullet availability (moulds, actually.)  The number and variety of .30 cal bullet moulds on the mass produced market is probably somewhat greater while the .32 moulds we see are largely from the custom and semi-custom sources and tend to be directed more toward schuetzen and (frequently) breech seating.  Of course, you only have to buy one mould if it is the right one, but that sometimes doesn't work out as well as we would like.  Roll Eyes 

BTW, I shoot a .32-.357 (Dell's variation) breech seated, but he designed it so it could be shot fixed and even made up a form and neck ream die to make cases...this in a Peregrine bench gun.  FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to use the short .32 fixed in one of my high-walls if I were building a FIXED cartridge rifle.  JMHO, YMMV!    Cheesy

Froggie

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Why not a 30-78, that's a wildcat based on the 30-30 case, less powder room of course. My dad built one in 1979 on a high-wall action with a .30cal stainless steel barrel and it shot very nice.Unfortunity it was stolen about six months later, but it was a very nice shooting rifle.The funny thing about this rifle was the gunsmith throught the barrel "needed some sort of finish", so he sent it off to a shop to be AIR-BLASTED, they
did not understand him and SAND-BLASTED IT.When we got it
back, it looked like it had SMALLPOX.So if you see a 30-78-or 30-30 high wall with a stainless steel barrel that has smallpox, let me know, it's stolen.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Re: Which Cartrige  30-30 Wesson or 32 Miller
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
My - very selfish, admittedly - reaction would be - do either 30-30 Wesson or 32-30 Remington.  Make sure you spec a good reamer, and afterwards I would know who to contact to chamber my next project rifle, a 12/15 CF Martini...

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Ended up ordering the 30-30 Wesson barrel.  Final items in the choice were the advice of a bunch of good people (and some chimed in on both sides, including several here and I thank you for that) plus better bullet selection in 30cal and one perhaps silly thought:  I have several VERY accuarte single shots in 32-40, and have other rifles in several chamberings below 30 and in 32 and above, but in a single shot, no other 30s at all.  So, 30-30 Wesson it is.   

Again, thanks to all for your thoughts and advice.  Dave

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
By the way, this is going into an extra barrel Paul Shuttleworth is building me for one of his Steven 44 1/2 gems. Should be fun.  Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint